Notices

Ahoy hoy

Old 09-19-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ahoy hoy

I'm not entirely sure what to write here for my first post, or what to expect- other than at the very least it couldn't hurt and at the very best it should work out to be a most welcome resource.

My first drink was at age 28. Previous to that, I had been an informal pseudo straight edge (still had caffeine, tylenol if headache, etc etc). Most of my friends from high school and beyond drank when out and the like, but I never was interested.

I moved to USA to be with my soon-to-be husband/now ex husband and had my first drink, several drinks in a row to be exact. Long story short, from age 28 to age 34 (now) the days where I didn't have a drink or two or too many were outnumbered by the days that I did by a ratio that is likely astounding.

In the last year my consumption and of course tolerance has increased, along with the negative side effects physically/socially/mentally. Two days ago just kinda went "Eh, no more". I think largely because: for the last year I have been with the kindest, funniest, most compatible man ever and he deserves better (WE deserve better), I feel unattractive physically in a blobulous manner, and because I don't want to die that way. So, yesterday was first day not drinking at all and I feel.... amazing. I slept a full 7 hours uninterrupted, my mood is fantastic, and I'm not really wanting a drink. This feels too good to be true, so I want to stay rooted in reality, which is why I'm posting here.

Ay, too many words! Anyway, thanks for reading.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, parttimewonder! Glad you are here. You're right: this is a great resource for anyone who wants to be sober.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've made a great decision and I'm glad you posted.

Good that you're feeling well!
Old 09-19-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks! I'm not naive to think this feeling will just somehow magically last on its own, but I'm grateful to have it at this time. The truth is I probably will want a drink,turning into drinks plural, at some time but I have tools to work on what I will do when that happens. There just is no other choice but to quit. This already feels like such a great network to have and I appreciate it!
Old 09-19-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

That is great and inspiring for other newcomers. You may experience a few lows but don't forget that they soon pass into ups again xxx
Old 09-19-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello nice to meet you

Welcome to sober recovery !
Old 09-19-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you are here!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me