How do I gently drop a "friend" ?

Old 09-19-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
Maybe that's why I don't have any friends...lol

Take care of you and your recovery
which is most important.
aasharon... your entire post sounded like I could have wrote it... minus the Harley... but I live in Milwaukee... haha. But yeah, that's how I am. I have pulled away from what friends I have because most of them yak yak and yak some more about people I don't know... and stuff I don't care about. It causes me stress. I don't share much of anything with people and like you said... I share here more than anywhere. You guys know me as well or better than any friend I've had. I just like my quiet time with my hubby, cats, my children and grands, and doing the things I enjoy doing. It's peaceful and I need peace... not "emotional vampires" and "professional victims."

All of you guys give such great advice and keep me going. I plan to tell her I'd prefer to not meet for coffee for a while because I want to get back to my real passion, my artwork, and working all day I only have the weekends and evenings to do it. That's no lie.

Love you all!
Old 09-19-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

No.

Its a complete sentence.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yeah, "No is a complete sentence," amen to that.

I don't agree with lying to people like that, making up dead batteries or always on the way out the door or whatever. That doesn't really work with my recovery. I learned the "no" thing - it works (to be fair, I say "No, thanks.")

You don't need a reason to not spend time with anyone. They may think you do, but you don't.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm with bimini as well on the lying part.
It's too much work to come up with those excuses and they always leave me feeling...well..uneasy.
and I know what "uneasy" can do to me.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm glad this topic came up, because I sometimes get latched onto by nonstop motormouths. I just try to avoid them. Sometimes I'll exchange hellos and just keep on going.

ElleDee, I think I would stick with something nonspecific like "No, thanks, I have other plans" because any particular explanation or even the slightest detail could easily provide an opening for another hour of one-sided blather.

It's possible the poor dear has worn out and been cut off by all the other people she says are "mean" to her.

Maybe a little truth would help her in the long run. Maybe no one has ever pointed out to her that whining at length and treating someone else as a listening post is inconsiderate.

Anyway, good luck!
Old 09-19-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Yeah... I don't need to give a reason why I don't want to do something. I am HORRIBLE at just saying NO, but No, I have other plans works for me. We'll see how it goes.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I can comiserate, Elle. There are several comments here that sound good and are similar to what I've done to a couple of peace leeches that were getting harder & harder to take. I gave them plausible excuses like "I have to pick up my kids, or I've got a headache" until they asked me why I was doing that. When asked, I told them in as nice a manner as possible that their "constant rambling was emotionally draining and that was one of my triggers so I avoid that stuff now." The first time, the guy handled it well & actually made an effort to chill during the meetings but has not invited me for coffee since. The 2nd time was not so smooth and I went to a different meeting. People can be nerve-wracking sometimes! Good luck with your situation.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by ElleDee View Post
I have a friend that I met in AA. We have coffee one night a week after a meeting. She's been sober for 20-30 years. Well she plays it like we get together because she's being supportive and helping me. However, when we get together it's her mouth running from the minute we sit down until she notices I'm not paying attention anymore or I get "the look" like I"m sick of listening to her. Then she's like, oh how was work? Don't get me wrong. I get to talk sometimes, but not too much.

The thing of the "talking" that I'm fed up with is she's a broken record. Her daughter is mean to her and the lady who is in charge of the after school program where she works is mean to her, the girl scout cookie ladies are mean to her... it goes on and on and her neighbor problems. It's not just when we meet, this is what she talks about at every meeting too! So I get it double. I tell her, yes I know or well why do you keep doing this or that.
I feel like her counselor or psychologist. One day we were going to go to the art museum together. I got in her car and she started up about her daughter. Not, hi, how are you? Just bla bla bla! I told her I can't listen to it today. Please!

In the past I've actually had a couple of drinks before I met her to take the edge off. Of course it didn't work, but I did.

I don't want to see her anymore. I would probably see her at meetings but I want to gently tell her without hurting her feelings that I just don't want to meet for coffee anymore or I need to take a break or something. One night I just didn't show up and didn't answer my phone, but that's not nice and I felt bad when I lied and said I fell asleep.

If you have suggestions, comments, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, just consider this a vent.
I knew someone like that. She would sometimes turn up at my house uninvited. She knew where I lived having given me a lift home one night. I just had to tell her straight that she was too full on. She sulked a bit but backed off and was fine with it eventually. xx
Old 09-19-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

EllieDee, you are a very patient person. I cannot stand people who insist on overshadowing every conversation. Although, to be fair, I think there are those who don't even realize what they're doing or sounding like.

Personally, it takes me a long time to bond with people, but I can say for certain that your friend's personality is a turn-off to me. But, do exit the relationship gracefully. Good luck!

Bunnez
Old 09-19-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Definitely relate to your post and the comments.

If you think it could improve you could tell her (in the midst of her ranting about Debbie downer stuff) that she seems very unhappy. And that unfortunately you're feeling a bit overwhelmed by her sadness and frustration. Just let her know you're a sensitive person and you feel for her, but that her emotional stories are making you feel overwhelmed. Tell her you're open to be friends but that the conversations are too serious for you at this time.

Or you can always take the I'm busy route which is also completely acceptable.

Whatever makes you feel able to move on and be peaceful about your decision.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Solipsists.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Do your best

if it makes you uncomfortable just be polite it might be awkward but at least your being kind enough to both you and her by being honest about it

i would just tell her she might sulk but so be it
Old 09-19-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

If somehow she continues to bring up her issues with other people, try to suggest that she resolve those problems directly with the people involved (rather than trying to get other people to take sides with her, although of course this part in parentheses should never be said out loud).
Old 09-19-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Ask her what her sponsor says. That'll drive her crazy and hopefully make her think about her solution.

I heard a person talk once about getting angry at someone on the road. Then, they noticed the person's bumper sticker. "If you don't like my driving, call your sponsor!"
Old 09-29-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Solipsists.
Well I had to look that one up. Exactly!
Old 09-29-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
misanthrope

Please please do not sit around feeling guilty about dumping this dead weight from your cart of friends. She sounds like an emotional leech that is using you because you are a kind person and will listen.

I doubt you owe her some heartfelt reason why you must end your friendship, just make excuses whenever she wants to hang out and she will get the point eventually. I can strongly relate to the situation you are in, good luck.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yup..time to haul up the drawbridge. You, and you alone are responsible for your boundaries and your sobriety. As you noted, the woman drove you to drink in the past so she has got to go! I don't think you need to school her on the why's of why you are dumping her unless she presses. As others of said, just get real busy and real unavailable real fast. Hopefully she'll get the hint..if she doesn't and starts to pressure or query...give her the left cut of your absolute truth.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

OK, wrote a longer post, and it somehow disappeared...here's the short version:

You mentioned in your post that you sometimes have to "have a few drinks" just to bear getting into the car with this irritating person!!!

That means that this is no mere social irritation. This is a serious trigger and a threat to your sobriety! Done!

We only have space and energy for a limited number of meaningful intimate relationships - different people have different amounts that are healthy for them. We can't waste an atom of space in our intimacy category with people who are toxic to us.

Hold your space! You deserve the best people possible surrounding you right now.