Notices

Update on me and my mom

Old 09-19-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on me and my mom

I have yet to start counseling but I will be calling one today to make an appointment.
My mom and I are both alcoholics; I have been sober for over a year and my mom is still in denial. I don't like being near her as she reminds me of my former self.
Anyways, I have decided that being around my mom every once is awhile is a good thing because it reminds of who I was, how far I have come and where I do not want to go back to. In a way she is helping me in recovery.
But I will continue to have my boundaries when it comes to her. I went to my parents house for a pig roast last weekend at their neighbors' house. She was fine during the day but kept going upstairs to her room to do something and always came back with a water bottle refilled with crystal lite looking liquid. Right before we headed to the pig roast she went upstairs to change. That took her quite long time and she came downstairs and was apparently very drunk. We didn't stay much longer after that because I didn't want to be around that and we had my little nephew and it was past his bedtime.
This incident reminded me too well of what I used to do. It was a good eye opener but then I was grateful to have boundaries and to get out of there.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober year, pattyj. Hope your Mom finds sobriety, too.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing this. My mom and I are both alcoholics too (that Crystal Light trick is something I would have pulled, btw). ;-) I've been worried about how I would feel the next time I see her, but you've given me another way to think about it...as a cautionary tale rather than a temptation. Thanks again.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is so awesome, pattyj! A year is pretty epic!
Old 09-20-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No problem, josharon. It's not easy being around someone who is your exact past. It's not something that you want to be reminded about and yes there were times when she was a trigger. I moved in with my parents right after I quit because I needed a huge life change to get my life together. And she secretly drank the entire time. Even when we were having conversations about my recovery. When I hit a year, I took the day off of work. My mom took me shopping, out to lunch, to a massage and pedicure. I posted something on Facebook about getting to a year that one of her friends saw. This friend asked my mom about it and my mom was livid that I would air my dirty secret like that. I believe she was pissed because she didn't want her friends to think that she had a problem. Although, if they really are her friends then they already know.
Anyways, it's not the easiest but it is a constant reminder of where you don't want to end up. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on over a year's sobriety

Nice to meet you
Old 09-20-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your year of recovery!

It sounds like you have good boundaries dealing with your mother.