Notices

Stupid things you have done because of alcohol.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

In no particular order:

- Lost my job

- Lost a good friend because of my drunken rants and turned him into an enemy (the one who reported me for being drunk on the job)

- Backed my car out of the garage to wash it and ripped off my side view mirror, damaging the garage in the process

- Nearly fell off the edge of the Grand Canyon trying to take a picture of a bird

- Got so drunk at a party that I smoked crack and almost had a heart attack

- Got in an argument with my brother who was also drunk and said some hateful, evil things

- Ranted on facebook about how my mother raised me wrong and I turned to ****. She read it

- Again on facebook, I told everyone to f' off because they're a bunch fakes who post nothing but flowers and rainbows, and that's not what life's about. Not sure why it got likes

- Spent way, way too much money. Many times. Bought a $700 dog, $300 coat, and a bunch of other things during one binge drinking session. All on a credit card I was trying to pay off

- Caught my stove on fire. Apparently something was under one of the burners and I started heating up a frying pan. Next thing I knew two foot high flames were surrounding the pan and I couldn't smack them out with a towel. If I didn't have a fire extinguisher handy it would have been disastrous

Too many more to list.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Jesus. No one would talk to me if i put them all down.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Had a friend with cleaning OCD. Passed out at his house, woke up with no idea where I was, walked into living room and started peeing on his sofa. Came to with him tackling and beating the crap out of me.

Thought it would be funny once to drive down the turnpike in a jeep with no doors, naked. Seriously, in the middle of the day. Made it home somehow..

Man, I could go on and on...
Old 09-20-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Worst = not being( years ago ) sober long enough to recognize how wonderful the journey of sobriety is becoming today...... Of course, there's this also..... Was on a commuter train headed home after work from downtown Chicago to Suburb I lived in. Took a seat on the second level of train and fell asleep/passed out with briefcase near by - top shut, but not secure. About an hour, train came to another stop - jolt woke me up. Looked at window - crap, this is my stop. Grabbed briefcase handle, yelled to WAIT to hold door! Briefcase opened and 50 pages of a paperwork flutter all over floor of train. Panic, please hold the door!! Don't go......Many scrambled to grab papers, jammed them back in briefcase. Step partially off train - recognized this was NOT my stop.......... Went back in, head down to standing ovation from others......WOW
That stinks. Semi-unrelated, I'm still amazed how people drink openly on the metra on Fridays. I t makes me think a lot more people have drinking problems then know it.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Probably lost the first love of my life due to drugs/alcohol.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Probably lost the first love of my life due to drugs/alcohol.
oh yah - I forgot about that one too.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
One day at a time

I actually used to convince myself that things and people liked me better when I was hung over and single handily tried to be hung over to fix my relationship scary anyways:
Got a DuI when I was 19 ran into two parked cars and a house lucky to be Alive for that one
Doing stuff with men I had no business doing anything with
Having 3 day drunk relationships with people then never talking to them again
Getting arrested at a school dance and being thrown in the back of a cop car then peeing myself (classy I know)
Pulling my pants down In front of an entire party
Getting so drunk I ended up taking a whole bottle into the bathroom my family had to come take it away from me
Drinking drunk a lot and putting people's lives at risk
Staying drunk for days on end
Going to restraints drunk and acting like a total brat and not tipping the waiter
These all happened when I was younger I'm older and no longer drink disclaimer!
Old 09-20-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

My worst? Is that I used to find 'my incidents' funny after some months had passed. Even though the aftermath was an absolute living hell and paying for these incidents could drag on for a considerable amount of time. It's possible that I was addicted to the madness or the drama. It's possible that I was recreating the chaos and the madness of growing up in an unstable environment. It's possible that I have an untamed inner child with unresolved issues who turns into a tazmanian devil when I feed it alcohol.

The joke's not funny anymore.

Moral of the story: consuming alcohol leads to negative circumstances of varying degrees of severity. Roll the dice at your peril.

Reality factor: consuming alcohol will lead to more of these incidents. (Inner child winks at me: 'I'm Chucky, wanna play?")

Note to self: There are no advantages to drinking alcohol. Only devastating side effects.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Deciding to quench my thirst by drinking straight whiskey. Then passing out and falling down a 20 ft cliff into a raging river. My buddies drinking buddies had to save me.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Checking in to the local mental health- detox then rehab before investigating their non-scientific methods that were not helpful to me. I didn't realizing most for profit organizations are really only concerned about the margins and not recovery. This incorrectly labeled me with a disease for life and makes it impossible to get life insurance limits my health insurance choices going forward.

Shame on me for letting my brain deteriorate to this level and letting outside influences send me on the wrong path to my recovery.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
True strength lies within

After relapsing again the umpteenth time.. I wrote out a list this morning so I could get a visual of all the damage ive done because of drinking..and its a huge list:

what drinking has done for me:
missed work
drinking and drunk at work
lost to many jobs to count
made me cheat and lie
stole money from my kids
2 dui's
ive lost friends
fights with spouse
damage ive done to my kids mentally
guilt
shame
disordered eating
drunk in public
getting arrested
being put in the hospital
physically hurting myself
sleeping in my car
sleeping in a bush
insomnia
chest pain
going into debt
promiscus behavior
putting myself and others in harms way

its pretty ugly..but unfortunatey addiction is ugly. I so need to beat this thing. And its scary because when I though about it ,, ive been drinking since I was 16..Im 45 now. It progressively got more and more the older I got. Am starting counseling AGAIN .. and am going to give AA another shot. My mentality was if I could for a month without drinking , I could control it, HA !
The stupid AV in my head always gets the better of me. So yet again , here I go .
Old 09-20-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
One day at a time

Progress is progress if you are reaching out to get sober it's the first step! Every baby step is a celebration in recovery!
Old 09-20-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
One day at a time

I also have noticed my disease getting worse I no longer want my drug to get high now it's to feel normal wow makes me want to cry thinking that
Old 09-20-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I sat down last year and did this exercise. 47 pages of paper later I realized what a waste.

What a waste the exercise is.

You can only do one thing: Live Today.

You want to live sober today? Live sober.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I'm not the alcoholic but will comment on the stupid **** my exabf did while he was drunk and when we were together.

- almost lighting himself on fire while trying to maintain a fire in the fiteplace with lighter fluid. He was basically pouring rather than skirting the fluid. The bigger the fire roared the more he poured (dumbass). Not to mention, my family was present and afraid to approach him to stop (including myself) in fear of his Alcoholic temper tantrum.

- Him mouthing off to a religious Christian couple (friends). His mother at time was having health issues. Our religious friends out of respect asked him if they could pray for her. He looked at them dead in the eye and said "No.. You can't! She doesn't need your prayers!!"

^^^^ Their mouths dropped. The female friend started crying and the husband became over protective with wife that lead them to leave event at time. I never been so embarrassed!

- he would use his mothers health issues to leave work early so he can go to bar and drink.

- I was stopped in a parking lot with my foot on break, asking him questions. He decided to step on the gas pedal trying to make car go. Not to mention a huge tree and brick wall being across from us. I guess he didn't want to talk.

- after we broke up he rented a room not far from my home. One day as I was driving down the main road I saw him walking carrying a huge black bag of empty cans. To recycle he was going... to get money for more beer
Old 09-20-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
I sat down last year and did this exercise. 47 pages of paper later I realized what a waste.

What a waste the exercise is.

You can only do one thing: Live Today.

You want to live sober today? Live sober.
Thank you.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:08 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I'm doing this as an exercise for myself, since I desperately do NOT want to do this.

<deep breath>

Here goes, in chronology, as best I can remember at this moment.

Easter 2009 - blacked out at dinner, woke up in my bed with my shirt on but nothing else. Had to ask my (now ex) husband what happened. (Apparently I carried a full length discourse about the deplorable state of public education in the United States, then he carried me to bed. We did not dtd, apparently I kept insisting that I needed to get dressed for bed? Oof)

Same year - hit my head on the toilet throwing up

2010 - 2012 - sober, thank goodness

summer 2012 -
got roofied
had 37 one-night stands in three months (yes, I kept a list. Sordid, that)
drunken dancing, hang-overs, slept with my ex, smoked pot, started as an exotic dancer (I think, if I'd not started drinking again, I never would have done this)
dropped out of college
fell and scraped my knees in public
busted my arm another time
threw up in my friend's driveway on my birthday
one night, I went out with one date, kissed another guy in front of him, then had s** in the parking garage with another later that night, then got lost and called yet another guy to come rescue me

2013 -
did drugs (which I never would have been okay with had I not been drinking)
provoked a bar fight between two guys, had to be asked to leave (and don't remember provoking it, or the fight? My friends told me)
dated and hurt several guys - used them
up and left my apartment and moved to Dallas (with only three months left on my lease, I didn't care, and left an apartment full of furniture and got an eviction out of the deal)
a couple more one-night stands (probably five? but nothing like the year before)
almost wrecked once in the rain, at like, 2:15 on a Friday night, driving drunk. I still get panicky thinking about what a close call that was. I think that night led me to believe in guardian angels!
got really really really paranoid about driving drunk, so began to use friends for rides
Stopped using drugs, same paranoia
Started with "hair of the dog"
Got a bf from a one-night stand
Emotional fights with bf
Drunken stupid nights with bf
Drunk shopping
Drunk swimming
Drunk - EVERYTHING.

The end of 2013 is one big - haze. Lots of stupidity. Nothing illegal, everything embarrassing.
New Year's Eve I could barely bring in the New Year I was so drunk. We left the bar at 12:45!

Same, until April. Sobered up. Broke up with bf. Started working out. Lost a good amount of weight.
Social drinking began again in June.
July 3, one-night stand went wrong (after two drinks! This is when I realized alcohol just plain affects me, doesn't matter the amount. I stop thinking clearly after even one drink!)
Fourth of July - called ex bf, went out with him, got piefaced, slept with him
By August, basically fell back into drinking just like I had, more or less.
Lost my job because I'd continued to lose weight (stopped eating, continued working out, plus drinking just enough to avoid hangovers so I could work out. I've struggled with eating disorders and exercise addictions in the past, so I think I was "using" these instead of drinking so much)
Soooo... after losing my job, went out for a friend's birthday later that same week, got SOOOOO drunk I threw up outside the (very posh) nightclub, in my heels and club dress!, fell literally on my face (I got a bruise on my forehead and chin and broke my glasses), blacked out, don't remember the cab ride home, came inside my apartment, threw up all over the living room floor, passed out for a minute there (where my friend - whose birthday it was! - took pictures of me. #embarrassing) then tried to get dressed for bed (this seems to be my reoccurring theme?) ... woke up the next morning naked in bed.
To this day, I don't remember going to bed, I don't remember taking my clothes off, and somehow I got lipstick on my shoe. I know I'm flexible, but I have NO idea how that happened. I still feel SOOOO bad that I did this, in front of her, on her birthday!!
Drunk texted people I had no business drunk-texting
Then, the most awful night of my life, that led to my decision to be sober today (this one takes the cake, at least for me)...
Drunk at work (strip club), leave with a customer (never ever did that before), he gets some uppers and we party in his hotel room until noon the next day. Around four pm (after a nap) he takes me back to my place. I get inside, pull out my wallet to count my money from work the night before ... and it's gone. Some $300-odd, all gone. I'll never see that money again.

I felt so. dang. stupid.

That was the second to last night I danced, and three days later, I quit drinking.

~~~

I'm grateful that I haven't had too many "bad years" with alcohol, that I haven't had legal consequences, and that nothing worse has happened to me. I also believe that everything I've done is absolutely awful. I will admit that one man's awful is another man's "no biggie", but for me, these behaviors were deplorable.

I'm also grateful that the list was so long and convoluted that none of you probably had the patience to read it, which spares me further embarrassment.

I'm posting this so I have some kind of written record to start with - I'm sure as I go through the 12 steps I'm going to have to give this more thought. Oh. my.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
One day at a time

Rouge dreams,
This sounds like me!!! Haha I don't drink anymore but I am addicted to pills. Anyways I hope your doing good and doing those steps it's crazy the crap you do when you drink I too tried to be an exotic dancer for one day drunk on jack what a laugh lol
Old 09-21-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I am a weekend binge drinker so naturally I got arrested, fined, taken to the hospital (each on a different occasion). I have been in fights. I crashed my car. I have underperformed in school/job. I have insulted friends and made my girlfriend cry. All very very very stupid. Better days will come.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Wow - it would take me many hours to compile this list. And for sure it would not be complete. Six years sober and I'm still remembering things that I had forgot about that I did while drunk or high. Only God knows all of my sins. Thank God !
Mountainman

Promises in Big Book AA Alcoholics Anonymous AA Promises. ... We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.