Notices

2 months drinking and memory...

Old 09-18-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 months drinking and memory...

Hello there guys.

I searched for a forum like this one because i need some input on a question I have...I am not using the word ''problem'' because it isn't one compared to others..So,here it goes...

Just before the summer i started binge drinking cause i was sad.A lot.I mean consuming about 400ml of highly alcoholic drinks like whiskey twice or three times a week for two months.The past month maybe i have drank 2 or 3 times(but not as much)the last time being more than 10 days ago.

My question is if the binge drinking i did for those 2 months could have caused permanent brain damage.I am asking because even though i am no longer drinking i find it hard to remember stuff like i used to.Like for example names of characters in films or dates things happened...

Any help would be appreciated.Thanks
Old 09-18-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

It's impossible to tell if you have any brain damage. Your doctor could help run some blood tests as this could be an imbalance in nutrients and not brain damage.

But one thing I can say for sure if that stopping drinking is a sure way to stop damaging your body. Many organs take a beating.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

Yeap, in general alcohol can cause damage to brain cells, in the same way it can damage plenty of other organs in the body!!

But as to you're own diagnosis, a Dr would be needed for that.

The important question though is are you going to make changes to stop causing potential damage to yourself? the reality is alcohol is a toxic substance to the body in high volumes, drinking is not without consequence to our health over a period of time!!
Old 09-18-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol is poison. I was told the longer I remain completely sober the better things would get.

There are a few alcoholic issues that can occur in the brain, but let the doctors talk to you about that.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you stopped drinking.

Have you talked to your dr about your concerns?
Old 09-18-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

See your doctor for some tests and above all else: stay sober!
Old 09-18-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Agree with everything said here - get and stay sober and see a doctor. There could be a lot of reasons for the memory loss and it could be just shot term. Sounds like you really slammed yourself for a bit.
Take care of yourself now and treat yourself well. There is nothing so bad that alcohol does not make it worse.
xo
Beth
Old 09-20-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you very much for your replies...

No,i haven't seen a doctor yet.It seems my brain function is improving since my last drink around september the 4th.I don't feel like drinking as well.I'm studying for my final exam in university you see so i am really testing my memory at the moment.

Thanks again for your replies.I will be lurking around for a while.I see this is a very nice forum
Old 09-20-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There have been recent studies on the ability of the brain to recover from alcohol abuse. You can find many scholarly articles on this subject with a google search. That being said, I can't apply it to your specific situation as that would be considered medical advice. See a doctor for specific diagnosis.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Heloo welcome to sober recovery...

book an apt with gp/doc to be on safe side

my memory was affected by alcohol yes
Old 09-20-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The body is has amazing self-healing capacity. The way I think of the brain is that we've all heard that we typically only use about 10%, so I figure that if there was damage, through sobriety my brain will slowly "re-boot", creating new neural pathways into new territory. I imagine it a vast landscape, where I've only been colonizing a small, densely crowded city on it's edge.

The great benefit for me of all that memory loss, is that now - in sobriety - I get to watch movies again, & it's like the first time...LOL. I've had this experience a few times already, where I'm already well into a film that feels vaguely familiar, & realize both that I've already seen it & that I have no idea what happens next.

Just goes to show me that all those night's when I was hitting the wine alone at home, watching a movie & thinking I was relaxing, I was actually skipping in and out of blackouts...wow.

Getting sober is the easiest way to "fix" most everything you're worried about in your life. I know "easiest" seems like the wrong word, because it is infinitely challenging, but the effort vs. Reward comparison is astounding - health, stamina, memory, relationships, organization, work effectiveness, lessening of anxiety, financial stability, body image, self-esteem, confidence - all raining down on you just for choosing to let something toxic go!