Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Is it normal to be this confident, or am I going to get bamboozled?

Notices

Is it normal to be this confident, or am I going to get bamboozled?

Old 09-18-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Hi sick. Congratulations on 11 days I gave up in January last year and didn't get any real cravings until an unexpected heatwave descended in July. I would guess that you're much more used to the heat than I am but walking along the beach in the evening seeing bottles in coolers and hearing the clink of glasses really did test my resolve! I'm glad I was 6 months in by then. . . . This year has been much easier even though the weather's been almost as good.

Enjoy the freedom from urges but stay on your guard, sick. If and when you do get urges ride them out safe in the knowledge that you'll feel so much stronger when you do!
Old 09-18-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I found out the hard way that being too confident is a mistake. It's great to be confident but not so confident that you're naïve to the situation.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing today sick?

D
Old 09-18-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I heard those hen parties can be pretty fowl.

Ghostdad, that made me laugh!

Thanks for the thoughts peeps. Much appreciated. I'll be keeping on guard, especially against any creeping laziness and complacency with respect to my sobriety.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Pretty good thanks Dee. It's Friday... tonight I'd usually be at the bars with my girlfriends, getting "poleaxed" as Shane Warne would say. Thinking about checking out a meeting that's not too far from my work instead.

Can I ask whereabouts in Strailya are you from?
Old 09-18-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There will be good days there will be bad but remember that alcohol has a life time to wait for a moment of weakness. The trick is to always be strong in your sobriety and to have a sober network to support you
Old 09-18-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I felt exactly like you at 11 days. Some crappy days and good ones, absolutely NO desire to drink. I was shocked and wondering, just like you, when is the shoe going to drop?

You can absolutely do this without being derailed. All you need is a plan, and the firm decision that you will never drink again, no matter what. When the cravings show up, as they may, have a plan. Come here, post, go in the chat room, have a sober friend to call, open up your arsenal of non-drinking activities, change up the normal routine, read a book about sobriety/recovery, go for a walk- whatever it is you have done so far to keep you from changing your mind.

11 days is early on, but it absolutely does not mean you are going to slip up or be blindsided down the road. Just be ready. We always have to be ready to shut down the addictive voice- but we honestly never, ever have to drink again. No one has the power to make us do that. WE have all the power- use your power to never pick up again.