Notices

2 days sober cant shake the embarrassment

Old 09-17-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 days sober cant shake the embarrassment

Hi this is my first time post to anything like this but needed some help to get past these first few days. I have been i guess they call it a functional alcoholic for over 15 years I guess?

Well 2 days ago I decided I just cant keep up with this anymore. I was drinking before work, during, and after work and believe it or not keep that going for a very long time. The first morrning I decided to stop my boss calls me into her office to talk about a move within the office I will be making sort of a promotion and then proceeds to tell me someone brought to her attention they think I might be drinking at work. Thank god I actually had not been that morning. She just kind of mentioned it, I guess a warning not much else was said and of course I did not admit to it. Thankful i didnt get fired!

My problem now is I have to go into work everyday and look at coworkers whom I dont know who told and have them think of me as someone who would do such a thing. I am beyond embarrassed and its so hard to face the day.

It just sucks the very morning I decide to stop the madness, I am confronted. Ugh Hope someone has some advice on how to continue going to work with my head held high. I want nothing more to continue not drinking and live with this shame.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You do just that. You go to work with your head held high. The shame will not go away quickly, but your actions will show your co-workers and your boss that you have changed. Use this as a wake-up call.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like something to pay attention to. If it was only suspicion, and you do what is necessary to maintain sobriety, it will pass quickly.

If you're anything like me, you might well have felt that you didn't appear to be showing signs of intoxication when you blatantly were. In hindsight, for me, it was almost comical. My behavior and words were erratic, and my work suffered. I, however, went clear down to the point of being unemployable. I'm just now, after three years of job hopping, able to adequately hold down a kitchen job in the local recovery resource center.

Be glad that you haven't fallen as far as some, and do what needs to be done to maintain your sobriety. You don't have to lose anything else due to addiction. If it was me, I'd look at this as an opportunity for empowerment. You've quit drinking and are moving up in your company. Drinking will only put that opportunity at risk.

It gets better. Hang in there.

"Always Believe." -The Ultimate Warrior
Old 09-17-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Show them with your actions that you are all business. Stay sober one day at a time. The shame will fade with time. After a while it will be a distant memory of a bad time.

It will get better
Old 09-17-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sophie

Offices very quickly move on to the next watercooler topic.

Stay sober and you will never give anyone cause to wonder again...and they will forget, I promise

D
Old 09-17-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your comments! Feeling much better and very lucky! I guess as the saying goes "This too shall pass".
Old 09-17-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just think, what if you had JUST had a drink?!?!?!? Wow.

That person who said it may have actually been looking out for you, concerned for your well being. Maybe not, but there is no way of knowing. You should consider it a very good thing. If that person didn't come forward.......you might be writing about how "even though I stopped briefly I drank again at work today"

Something bad happened to me at home about 2 months ago. I would have given you big cash to have it undone the moments/days after it happened. Now, boy am I glad it did happen, and here is the kicker, and so is the person at home who was decidedly NOT happy at the time.......
Old 09-17-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep hold your head high , the shame will fade , and your actions will prove them wrong. You can do it.. The passed is done and tomorrow is a new day.. Here for you!
Old 09-17-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello nice to meet you
Old 09-17-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well you're not too far gone yet. Just seriously rethink your decisions and be determined not to have anything too close to work.

I just got fired from my job and wish I could turn back time and change everything. You've probably been in denial as I have for 15 years, thinking it's not that bad. But if it gets to the point where you finally lose your job, and have to wonder how you'll find a new one since job interviews will be so nerve-racking, it's not worth it. It's not too late for you. Just keep in mind, even if you think everything is under control, don't let your guard down.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Depending on the employer/employee relationship...they may be willing to help you as long as they see you are staying sober and trying to improve.

I've gone through 2 stints of rehab appointed/setup by through my employer in the past 5 years. This includes a full blown relapse and several slips.

Fact is when I'm sober I dive into my work...when I'm focused and not drinking I can get this done quickly and efficiently. And most folks will say I'm friendly and helpful as well...(I'm the office IT support guy... )

But it still doesn't change the fact I'm an alcoholic. The dangerous thought of one drink won't hurt almost got me fired this last time.

I'm 3 weeks sober today. 22 days ago I was sent home because I had been drinking the morning of...and someone reported it to my boss.

We only get so many chances..I'm grateful to still have my job. Alcohol will only bring me pain and misery. I'm using my plan of recovery to stay sober each day by day.

This time I'm staying quit for myself. I don't want to be the person who charges off to the liquor store at 10 am.

I'm worth more to this world than that. We all are.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ditto what everyone else said Sophie. Look at this as a wake up call. Go to work sober in the morning with your head held high. This too shall pass.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Got caught drinking at work myself. I take them as warnings. Just like others said here. And I don't worry about what others think of me at work. I spend my energy on staying sober good luck!
Old 09-18-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sophie!! Great to have you here!!
Old 09-18-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. We have all gone through the shame aspect of alcoholiism. Being sober is the best thing you can do to change the opinions of your co-workers. You can do this!
Old 09-18-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome

I would be much more worried about staying sober than the job wakeup call. What is your plan to quit drinking and to start a life without alcohol?
Old 09-18-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

welcome sophie
I agree with everyone else that said just use this as a major wake-up call and carry on, SOBER. This could be your one get out of jail free card, don't mess it up.
I had to come clean to my employer in May after Mothers Day weekend...I got my 2nd DUI and was a hot mess on the Monday...still drunk/withdrawing. There was no way I was able to make it through the day, I told them. I got that week off and the following week to get into my local detox for 7 days.
Due to that, I am now on a very short leash. I have conditional measures put on my employment. They have (are) trying to be as supportive as they can, but there are times where I wish I hadn't had to tell them. It's now the main reason I haven't seen my raise I was to get in June...the saga continues as they keep saying they "want to see more time"...that was over 4 months ago now and I haven't missed a day, been late or f***** anything up at work.
Don't get yourself into this mess. Booze is NOT worth ruining the things we work so hard for. Now we must work hard to remain sober
Chin up lady - you can do this.