Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Staffroom discussion about alcoholism- like a "never-ending party" they thought

Notices

Old 09-17-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So today in the staff room some stuff came up about alcoholism due to the receptionist husband dying of cirrhosis a few weeks back. The main thread of this conversation was that some of them thought drinking all day sounded amazing and would be like a nonstop party and they would do it if they could. Obviously less stupid staff members explained that isn't what being an addict is like at all (due to my sensitivity on the subject I didn't say anything in case I got too emotional).

Can anyone be that stupid?

I mean sure, my life was like a never ending party. But I hate parties.

Tom.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think a lack of understanding of the reality of things can escape people sometimes.

I'm sure though in the back of their mind a lot of those people when faced with the fact that a guy died as a result, that it's far from a party in the end, for either the person or the family of the addict.

It's the same on the other side of the coin, when people try to convince an alcoholic "1 drink won't hurt" or "you're drinking isn't too bad".

There will always be people who simply don't get it!!
Old 09-17-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I think people can be that uninformed or 'stupid'.

I think there is often a stereotypical belief that alcoholics are lazy and they should just stop drinking.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think sometimes people are just being glib/joking about it. And society makes drinking look fun. Have you ever seen a beer commercial with people puking or getting into fights? Waking up in the morning with regrets etc...? Nope.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My guess is they're prob just young and inexperienced at life
Old 09-17-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post
Can anyone be that stupid?
If thinking that drinking all day sounds like fun makes one stupid, I guess count me in. I must have been extra stupid, because not only did I think that drinking all day must be fun, I did drink all day long on more occasions than I can count.

There is absolutely a lack of understanding of alcoholism by those that are not alcoholics. Heck, most alcoholics don't even understand it fully.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think you did right not saying anything Tank.

I've been in situations like that where I can feel my anger rising and I want to say something, but really when people think like that, there is no point. Let them get on with been clueless until they too have to deal with something like that. Be it themselves or a loved one caught up in addiction.

Sometimes it is just easier diverting the conversation back to the Kardashians or something mindless like that!!

I wish you the best xx