Notices

7 days, 29 years old but getting bad pains. really scared

Old 09-17-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

7 days, 29 years old but getting bad pains. really scared

Hi,

I am 29 stopped drinking 7 days ago. Not very heavy a bottle of wine a day for most days for 8 years.

I decided to stop as over the last year had cronic constipation and barretts escophagus.

I am really scared as pains under the rib right side and to the back which my doctor believes is galbladder and now pain under right rib and too the back.

I am terrified as i see this can be end stage liver disease and i am terrified.

Anyone any experience, i also feel sick when i eat and feel tired a lot of the time but this could be due to me not eating a lot. I have a daughter and i don't want to die young but now i think i have done serious damage.

Anyone any idea's thanks in advance.

PS blood tests tomorrow and galbladder tests within next 3 weeks.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Health anxiety really got the best of me early on too Tambdy. You are doing all the right things by seeing your doc and getting tests tomorrow. The more you think about the pains the worse they seem, so try and get your mind off it if you can. Your body is still adjusting to not drinking too, you can certainly still be in acute withdrawals at 7 days potentiallly. A bottle of wine a day, every day is not what most would consider "light" drinking, so just know it's going to take time to recover.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome tambdy,
your pain can be any number of things, I had pains throughout the past couples years in the abdominal region and I was thinking anything and everything was wrong. Since I quit drinking months ago that pain in my side is long forgotten. My acid reflux is no longer an issue. My constitution is back to normal.

be honest with the doctor, try to eat properly and stay away from greasy foods.
Don't drink and let the doctor handle it. And also, try not to diagnose yourself using Dr Google.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Thanks for the reply guys....

So is it unlikely it is end stage cirrhosis like i have read online?

I really think i should not check online from now on, i do have aniexty from the drink but i really do feel these pains and since i have read it is end stage i have started itching a lot....

Do you think it can all be in the mind or can it be the organs getting back to normal?
Old 09-17-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Doctor google is your worst enemy right now. Trust your doctor and the blood tests.

Stay strong and try to take deep breaths and relax.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by tambdy View Post
Thanks for the reply guys....

So is it unlikely it is end stage cirrhosis like i have read online?

I really think i should not check online from now on, i do have aniexty from the drink but i really do feel these pains and since i have read it is end stage i have started itching a lot....

Do you think it can all be in the mind or can it be the organs getting back to normal?
It is likely that you need to wait and find out what your doctor says tomorrow and after your tests. It's absolutely possible that some of it is in your mind, but it's impossible for anyone to diagnose that over the internet of course.

And absolutely stop reading Dr. Google...you will be able to self diagnose yourself with just about anything you don't have!
Old 09-17-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Thanks again guys, i got blood tests twice about 12 and 8 months ago and both were fine.

I think my liver may be swollen as i can feel it but the pain on left and right side comes and go's. Whatever it is i hope i get a 2nd chance to make things right live my life. It would be a terrible waste to leave this world age 29 and my daughter age 10.

even if it is the worse i have read that you can live a good few years if you do everything correctly.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Google will convince you of anything, to the point that you're going to drop dead in a moment from now!!

The reality is if your Dr has examined you and taken blood tests then it's more likely to be digestive and gallbladder issues, there are so many things located in the right abdomen and the blood tests will confirm things!!

Try not to panic, breath, the body is a fantastic machine, it can repair if given the chance away from alcohol!!
Old 09-17-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Don't depend on Dr Google. You'll just worry yourself. Trust your doctor.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Thanks guys, you have helped me feel better tonight, between this and our indepedance campaign tonight i am stressed to the hill.

I was fine when the right hand side pain under the rib came on as was told it was galbladder but when the left hand side came on and i searched the two symptoms as you said Dr Google came back with Cirroshis and i nearly collapsed.

Thanks again for re assuring me as you said right side is prob galbladder and the left could be spleen slightly swollen or something not as bad.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

* Please remember that our opinions are only opinions.

I agree with all the advice. I, too, was terribly afraid of what I'd done to myself. I think the anxiety involved with stopping drinking can be overwhelming at times. Hang in there and talk to your dr. I'm glad you're working on your recovery.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Hi anna,

Thanks for the reply but the opinions saying it is unlikely end stage cirrhosis makes me feel better. Opinion or not, surely i would have been much more unwell?
Old 09-17-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi anna,

Thanks for the reply but the opinions saying it is unlikely end stage cirrhosis makes me feel better. Opinion or not, surely i would have been much more unwell?
Maybe not. The thing is it's important to get checked out, cos you never know. But think of it like having a routine cancer check up, it's just something you need to do to achieve peace of mind. That helped me through, anyway.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Hi thomas,

the maybe not has scarred me stiffless again thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey tambdy, I too have acid reflux digestive issues from drinking. I took a few months off and it didn't go away (but it did get better!!) and I was so frustrated, but I went to the doctor and was told that you can't expect years of drinking to be undone in a few months. It's takes time. Still, I spend ALL THE TIME thinking about my stomach and all the chaos I've caused to it. It makes it really hard to eat and I have to eat like a bird to deal with it. I'm 25 and a huge, anxious hypochondriac, haha. I had a relapse and feel pain everywhere and am still convinced that I've messed up everything in my stomach. And being anxious can cause stomach pain too! So try and stay calm. You won't know the results until you know and you can't change what's happened before but you can change today
Old 09-17-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

thanks rockstonic, did you get pain at your liver\galbladder and your spleen etc?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I get pain across my entire stomach, sometimes under my left rib, sometimes under my right rib and sometimes in my lower stomach, depending. It's worse with pressure. I'm a binge drinker that goes on a few day benders of constant drinking and then takes a week or two off, so it's a little different, but after a bender it takes around a week usually for that to start letting up for me. I, personally, have gotten blood work done and had that be normal, but I have considered going to a gastroenterologist to find out more about what's going on. I think it's great that you're getting the tests done. Just having answers of any kind was a big relief for me. You're taking the right steps but I know the anxiety can be maddening.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can completely relate to this. I'm 27 and a week or two ago I started noticing back pain under my ribs, mostly localized to one side. I went to the walk-in clinic a couple days ago, where they urine tested and x-rayed me and said my urine looked fine but maybe a couple stones in the bladder. Anyways, I'm still worried about it being my kidneys so I'm going for a full checkup with blood tests coming up in a few days here.

When I started googling stuff, I stood up and almost passed out, had to sit down on the floor. Just don't google it for now - wait till your appointments are finished at least.

My last drink was Sunday, and hopefully going to keep it up this time. I think it's more likely that you and I are having a case of quitter's paranoia.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi anna,

Hi Tambdy

I understand you're looking for reassurance - but none of us are Doctors, and our rules preclude the asking or giving of medical advice

I'm sure you'll hear from others who've had liver problems and who'll share their experience tho.

I think it's common sense to suggest that if your Doctor was really worried those tests would have been immediate.

Try not to go galloping off into too many what ifs

What I can say for sure is that you're doing the best for your health right now

D
Old 09-17-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Please see your Dr.

I am 33, also a bottle of wine a day, 2 years with hard liquor for 6.

My liver almost failed completely 4 months ago. I almost died. I won't name my symptoms but they were all classic of ALF/alcoholic hepatitis.

I lived (obviously, here I am!), 4 months Sober, all panels are normal, I am pretty strong and healthy. The liver is a wonderful organ, but it will only tolerate so much abuse.

Bunnez