Notices

7 weeks sober

Old 09-17-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile 7 weeks sober

I am 7 weeks sober today and after 10 years of daily drinking I am so much better off now. After reading many posts on this site I have come to realize that we are a group of people who share unique understandings.

Only we can truly appreciate that while we may feel physically or mentally horrible from PAWS, we only have to remember what it was like those days waking up every morning hungover, exhausted, malnourished, anxiety ridden and rolling our half dead bodies reluctantly out of bed to go to work. Stumbling to put one foot in front of the other to get to the bathroom to do the magic of showering, hair and makeup to conceal our heavy drinking. Later years in this deadly hobby we found ourselves thinking we could skip showers, just add more hairspray to unwashed hair and wear looser clothes to cover our ever bloating bodies. I'm not sure if doing this was pulling the wool over the eyes of coworkers but I am certain the look of exhaustion was obvious.

I shudder when I remember and then I embrace my new symptoms from post acute withdrawal syndrome. It's way better than being constantly hungover if I have to choose.

I was completely unprepared for the process of early sobriety. I thought I'd stop drinking, rest up for a week and then be raring to go all healed and energetic. Wrong! 7 weeks is still new and it represents a period of time that has felt much longer because each day was slow, difficult and only about surviving the physical symptoms. For me the fatigue, weird brain sensations, wobbly and uncoordinated motor skills were nothing to the frequent panic attacks that occurred daily for 4 weeks.

So today I am mainly resting. That is because I 'overdid' things the past 2 days. For me these days overdoing it means getting up in the morning and being lightly busy all day doing chores, shopping, cooking, chatting with family and watching a movie before bed. Now my body considers that to be overdoing it and I pay the price with feeling sick and having severe anxiety.

I am reflecting on my 7 weeks today as I feel unwell. The reason I feel unwell is because I am healing. My body and my brain are working hard to make some very major readjustments to compensate for years of daily poisoning. I am kind of surprised I'm still alive as I recall what I put myself through. And since I'm still here I have decided that my body really wants me to live and is working really hard to heal me so I'm going to continue to help it do that. Yes. At 7 weeks I have limitations on what I can accomplish each day but it's still waaaay better than it was!!! I'm really glad I have made it to here!
Old 09-17-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow! Thank you so much for this post. Your 7 weeks is an inspiration. I can SO relate to dragging my bloated self into the bathroom for the "magic" of hair and makeup, although there is not enough makeup in the world to disguise the mess that I've become. You should be very proud, even as you continue to struggle. Thanks again for sharing. :-)
Old 09-17-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

7 Weeks is Fantastic!! Yeap it all takes time, but it's worth it!!
Old 09-17-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

congrats on 7 weeks Newpathway. Steady as she goes...

you to josharon, take it slow if you have to
Old 09-17-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

congrats on 7 weeks
Old 09-17-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love this post, it's so honest and gives other newcomers realistic expectations. You're right on, in my experience. You won't feel like a million bucks every day. Too true. But yes, it is better than continuing to dig a hole to nowhere. Time and patience are such virtues in recovery, and we must continue to treat ourselves well during these early days and months. Sounds like you've got a solid plan and you are keeping your goals achievable. Things will get better, they did for me. Stick with it. Congrats on 7 weeks!
Old 09-17-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Fabulous NPW continue to be kind to yourself!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Seeker of Enlightenment

Congrats!
Old 09-18-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulation on seven weeks!

And thanks for reminding me about why there is that fatigue that continues to hang on. I am at 32 days (for the second time this summer) and have been feeling a bit frustrated with that lately.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Well Stuck!!!

Keep posting, it works if you do!
Old 09-18-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go newpathway - hope you feel better soon

D
Old 09-18-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on seven weeks sober.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is so good to read. It sounds like you are doing really well. You mentioned resting today because you overdid things and that is so important. I find if I keep myself and my life in balance each day, things go pretty well. And, good for you for accepting that your body is healing. It's all about patience.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say thank you for your post...i am all over the place right now when it comes to emotions and energy. One day i am full of energy, the other i am tired and stay home/bed all day. One day i am happiest person i a world, the other feel panic. I am 24 days sober and it does feel amaizing, i just need more patience i guess Congrats!
Old 09-19-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Kuddos! Your post touched home with me.