SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   How I handle it if someone buys me a shot of whiskey (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/345306-how-i-handle-if-someone-buys-me-shot-whiskey.html)

Mcribb 09-17-2014 12:16 PM

How I handle it if someone buys me a shot of whiskey

Went out with some work folks the other day. I was trying to be the best co-worker I could be. I was listening to live music. Keeping in contact with my sponsor. I told the guys I don't drink. One of them bought me a ****, and I said "No thank you" They razzed me a bit...and I said no I am on Meds and I can drink....then they razzed me more. I picked up my coat and didn't say a word. Those people aren't my true friends. The only person I really trust is my sponsor and I just walked out of there. I felt upset about the whole thing but I woke up and I wasn't in jail, I recieved some weird vibes the next day, but I didn't end up in jail or in the hospital. Life goes on even if you act weird about saying NO to shots. Have a good day. Don't Do drugs or booze, stay out of jail and the hospital.

lebroncavs 09-17-2014 12:20 PM

Just say you're allergic to alcohol. Don't they talk about us having an allergy to alcohol in AA?

FreeOwl 09-17-2014 12:20 PM

well done.

you're right.... anyone who pushes booze on you after you say 'no thanks' or 'I don't drink' is not your friend.

Weird vibes are nothing compared to the vibes you get for 10-16 hours in a jail cell waiting to be released after a DUI or worse.

Not worth your time to even give them another thought, you did the right thing and you did a very difficult thing.

Way to go!

aasharon90 09-17-2014 12:24 PM

Well Done Mcribb......with this experience
under your belt, you will remember next
time and make a decision if you want place
yourself in an an comfortable situation or
not.

For me, I'd choose the latter answer because
I don't like to place my own self in uncomfortable
situation in my own recovery life. :)

LBrain 09-17-2014 12:32 PM

Hope this is not a foul...

one method to do it.

ScottFromWI 09-17-2014 12:32 PM

You did it just right, nice work.

PurpleKnight 09-17-2014 12:33 PM

Great job on pushing through!! :scoregood

Nowsthetime 09-17-2014 12:34 PM

Idiotas! Good for you. See, you are strong and have power over your own life! Great post!

Mountainmanbob 09-17-2014 12:38 PM

because they truly know us and our condition

Originally Posted by Mcribb (Post 4903980)

Those people aren't my true friends.

Most of our close friends know well about our problems with booze
and would never offer to buy us a round
as you have stated -- those ones are not your true friends

MM

SoberComposer 09-17-2014 12:43 PM

Plus, there are many people who have never had a drink of alcohol by choice (Pen from pen and teller; donald trump). That always helped me. Someone here once said that they considered themselves an alcoholic during recovery but years later considered themselves a non-drinker. I like that :). I have also been thinking about this. I believe I will just say: "I dont drink to support my exercise and really dont like it.. just makes me tired."

Thepatman 09-17-2014 01:12 PM

Well done!

Lbrain, that vid made my day. LOL!

least 09-17-2014 01:16 PM

Anyone who would give you a hard time about not drinking is not your friend. :( Stay away from people like that. You don't need their crap.

Anna 09-17-2014 01:23 PM

I wonder if people have any idea how rude they are being when they push something on you that you don't want and then hassle you about it?

Good for you, McRibb!

Jupiters 09-17-2014 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 4904119)
I wonder if people have any idea how rude they are being when they push something on you that you don't want and then hassle you about it?

Good for you, McRibb!

I wonder this as well Anna. I know I would never do this to anyone, not just about drinking either...if someone says "no thanks", that's the end of it. I don't GET why people are so bloody rude and pushy.
Good job McRibb - they aren't your "friends" - with friends like that, who needs enemies right?

(I was a horrible sales person b/c of my lack of pushiness I guess :D)