Notices

New here, just relapsed

Old 09-17-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, just relapsed

I was sober for a little under a year, I just relapsed and had a 7 day binge bender where I was drunk the whole time, I would even wake up in the middle of the night to drink some more then go back to bed. One day I stayed in bed watching tv, never even left the bed, just drank. It was bad.

Prior to this I also relapsed after being sober for 8 months. That relapse was almost as bad, but the withdrawal was nothing, basically a 2-3 day hangover and nothing more. This time was different though. My last drink was Saturday night at 10pm. When I knew I had to stop, I was out of booze and promised I wouldn't get more. So far so good, but the withdrawal was much different this time.

I started out the shaking, trying to drink a glass of water and barely being able to hold it still took tremendous willpower. I then had the tremors, something I never experience before. Mostly in my neck where it would just involuntary move very quickly, and also in my legs. I also had/still have a cramping/pain in my left calf muscle which hurts extremely bad. The first night I also had minor hallucinations, I saw bugs flying around and even saw some black demon looking thing run up to me really quickly and disappear, although I knew it wasn't real it still jolted me outta bed and scared the hell out me.

Now I was scared because I was thinking I was going to have a seizure any time soon and I said if it got any worse I would go to the doctor. Maybe I should have and I was being stupid, but that didn't happen. Now most of the symptoms have subsided, I am still profusely sweating like a pig, and when I try to sleep I get extremely hot and turn the fan on, get extremely cold and turn it off, and the cycle repeats all night. I also have gotten MAYBE 4 hours of sleep since Saturday night. When I do sleep I have strange lucid dreams for 30 mins at a time, I wake up for 30 mins, and the cycle repeats. Today I got up and I feel decent. I had a big breakfast, kept it down and I feel let's just say decent. Although I still feel like a zombie all of the symptoms except the sweating/leg pain are gone.

I just wanted to tell my story, I know the more you withdrawal, the worse it gets every time. This was the worst experience of my life and I know the next time I drink I will probably end up dead if not from the booze, then from the withdrawal afterwards which I know will be a lot worse and I can't even picture it being worse. I plan to be an active member here to listen and give my opinion. Thanks all for listening!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome FoxDog - glad you found us.
Wow - that's like reading my last withdrawl...the bugs. I saw them too. Scary eh?
Thank you for sharing that post - it literally took me back to May when I had the worst one ever. I've been sober 129 days today
stick around here....you don't have to feel like this ever again.
Good thing you had a breakfast and have kept it down, that's a good sign. Keep hydrated and remember to see a Dr. if you start feeling not right.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Besides not drinking, do you have a plan to address why you relapse and go on these awful binging episodes?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Welcome to SR.

Besides not drinking, do you have a plan to address why you relapse and go on these awful binging episodes?
Well, both time I relapsed it was because something bad happened. I guess I felt like I couldn't handle it, I really don't know. I have actually realized now this is most likely anxiety, when something bad happens my brain basically has a heart attack it feels like I literally go nuts, so I run to the liquor store to calm myself down so I don't have to worry about it. I plan on actually seeing a doctor about this next week and seeing what they have to say. I guess I will go from there after that.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh, I am so sorry you're going through this. How terrifying. I'm so glad you're here.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, this place is amazing and you will find everything you need here and then some.

Thank you for telling your story. It really hit home for me since I am all too familiar with benders and the the pain withdrawals. My situation is similar to yours so if you ever need anyone to talk to, I'm here for ya.

Good plan on seeing a doc next week! Also, keep in mind alcohol might alleviate anxiety in the beginning, but that is just a trick of alcohol's - in the end is makes anxiety much much worse.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustCrusade View Post
Welcome to SR, this place is amazing and you will find everything you need here and then some.

Thank you for telling your story. It really hit home for me since I am all too familiar with benders and the the pain withdrawals. My situation is similar to yours so if you ever need anyone to talk to, I'm here for ya.

Good plan on seeing a doc next week! Also, keep in mind alcohol might alleviate anxiety in the beginning, but that is just a trick of alcohol's - in the end is makes anxiety much much worse.
Thank you, I really appreciate it.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

A Dr sounds like a good idea.

Pick yourself up and go at it again, there's no point beating yourself up over the past, move forward and live Sobriety again!!
Old 09-17-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You described what I go through to he teeth everytime I relapse now. I only have a week this time around again, and the wthdrawals are a big deterent as the thought of drinking was lurking around my head these last two days still. Thank you for the reminder of how I would feel if I went ahead and picked up.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You never have to feel that bad again if you don't want to. Keep away from that first drink.

I'm glad you are here and I hope your doctors appointment is productive.

Wishing you the best x