Notices

Dealing with STRESS without drinking!

Old 09-17-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with STRESS without drinking!

I need tips on how to deal with stress without wanting to drink or drinking! I have identified stress as on of my major triggers and it's unavoidable some times. If everyone who is stressed got drunk, the entire world would be drunk 24/7. So I know there are healthier ways to deal...just need tips. Realistic tips....yes...Hawaii would be nice! Haha

Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 09-17-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Best way to deal with stress is dealing with the things that are causing you stress. If you are dealing with a more generalized kind of stress--which seems to impact a lot of folks in early sobriety--google "stress reduction techniques"
Old 09-17-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

everyone deals with "stress" differently - you need to spend some time figuring out what is going to work for YOU. Not everyone travels the same path. This is where "work" comes into play. And don't run/avoid "stress"
I release stress by exercising. Swinging my kettlebell around for a bit, walking...any kind of physical activity. I also like to get a good book and soak in a hot tub with bubbles.
I like to drink herbal non caffeine teas (Rooibos). I go to counselling once a week and talk.
I like to lose myself in a movie - usually a comedy if I'm feeling a bit stressed out...laughter really is THE BEST medicine.
I'm also lucky enough that I have a ridiculously goofy BF at home who keeps me smiling most of the time with his "dancing/singing" routines.

You need to try and find out the things that are going to help you There are a million things in the world to do...pick one.
I may learn a new language just for fun over the winter, or take up knitting.
a world of endless possibilities
Old 09-17-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I go for a walk every day when I return from work, plenty of fresh air and simply walk it out!!

However lowering the overall stress levels of the body is needed too, nutrition, exercise, fluids, plenty of sleep, less caffeine, all of these things serve to reduce the overall stress I have to deal with on a daily basis!!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know. Exercise always helps. I think.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovered

I worked the 12 steps. Now instead of showing my HP how big my problems/stresses are I show my problems how big my HP is. But then many of my perceived "triggers" went away. (read: not really, but my perception of them changed so drastically that I no longer considered them as they ceased to be on my radar. Just like drinking/drugs)
Old 09-17-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exercise, breathing, yoga, walking, talking it out with someone who cares... Also after a while stress becomes less tied to the immediate desire to drink.

Ive started exploring Byron Katie's The Work -- it's self work that delves into the stories we have about the people and things that cause us stress, anger, frustration, despair. It's been really, really helpful, hilarious, and fascinating. If you're interested it's available for free online.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not really in a position to give advice, but painting furniture while listening to NPR is my standard relaxation technique. I used to do yoga and I occasionally get massages, so that helps if you can swing it!
Old 09-17-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

plenty of exercise, minimal caffeine, participation in meditation and martial arts, journaling daily, more exercise.

Also - a stubborn and relentless focus on the positive. Actively, continually seeking out things to be positive about, goodness to see in the world, blessings and gratitude.

These seem easy but they're not always so. And it IS easy to say "well I've tried that but it didn't work for me".

Which is another way of saying; "This all seems a lot more work than just getting drunk. getting drunk works right away....".

Start with one small change and keep adding more each day, each week, bit by bit.

Stress is a part of life.... stressing out over stress doesn't have to be.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What has always worked for me is introducing "artificial" adrenaline-inducing stress into my life which helps to put things into perspective and to clear your mind.
This can be anything from simple things like running sprints to sky diving, heavy lifting, martial arts etc.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great ideas here Serenidad

D
Old 09-17-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stress management is huge. It's taken a couple of months but I'm starting to do things for myself rather than against myself. In the very beginning of my sobriety, my eating was atrocious. It was like I was a petulant child telling myself I could eat "whatever" cuz well hell, I was sober! Well..that worked against me. My blood sugar was erratic because I would go long periods without eating and then eat well...crap. Not good for the "head"..or body. I have also incorporated daily meditation (and that took awhile). I downloaded a free app on my phone with a 10 day- 10 minute intro to mediation. It took me 3 weeks to get through the 10 days..but I can finally say..I HAVE incorporated now into my daily routine. I forgot my phone at work the other night and almost went into a panic next morning when I realized I couldn't do my 10 minute thing (I found it on computer thankfully: ). My eating has returned to healthy. I ensure I get enough rest. I am working my "sobriety support" via SR AND face to face meetings. I do go for more walks and well...I know I will be back to the gym any day.

Start taking steps...and soon you will find you our "managing" yourself much better. That's what sobriety does if you stick with it.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Punchbag ?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Nuudawn... That app sounds great what's it called?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Hey Nuudawn... That app sounds great what's it called?
It's awesome. I love it. It's called "Headspace" (it was really well reviewed on the the internet). The 10 day intro is free (but you can do it over and over as I'm doing lol). I AM going to buy the year subscription...eventually. Right now the "10 minute" per day is fine..but I know I will want more soon...and heck it's worth it. I could have easily spent the year subscription price in one night drinking.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nuudawn! You are the best! I just downloaded head space and tried it. I love it. Thank you so much for mentioning it. I think it's just what I need right now.