Notices

seeking help to organize

Old 09-17-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

seeking help to organize

My name is Tsezin, recovering addict for last 8 yrs and I am from Bhutan.
I have a group who helps people with addiction and we have been working for last 3 years, and for last few weeks we are planing to organize an event to showcase the achievement of our recovering friends. through this event we are also trying to reduce the social stigma and discrimination and to create awareness.
As it will be our first program we would like to make it very impressive - so i am posting in this forum to seek some ideas or some creative activity to express what actually goes through the mind of addict or recovering to make our family audience understand recovering addicts.

and what should be the topics of recovery convention..? never been to any recovery convention...I will appreciate anyone out there to give us any ideas.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What actually goes through the mind of addict? For me it's fear, paralyzing fear. Lack of self confidence and lack of self love. Fear that I am not capable to handle life by myself. Fear. Fear. And more fear.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tsezin, congratulations on your years of recovery and work to help others in Bhutan live peaceful and healthy lives.

The conference sounds like a terrific idea! Here are some thoughts I had:

- How about opening with music, something that can be uplifting and attract people. Perhaps there are people connected with your recovery group who would like to share their talent?

- Could you gather some people in recovery on stage to share their stories in a panel discussion? Perhaps ask a physician to be part of the discussion so that the health implications of alcoholism can be shared and better understood? Perhaps someone who works with alcoholics would join the discussion, too.

- Is there someone well-known in your community who would consider sharing his or her journey?

- You might want to create a Facebook page for your event.

- Are there youth groups that can be part of the program? I found this online and it was intriguing: Preventing Alcoholism through Art in Bhutan Also, perhaps some fun events just for kids that focus on making positive decisions?

- And, speaking of art, how about sharing art that people in recovery have created. It can be a way of expressing themselves and showing the hard work involved in becoming sober.

- Will you have printed materials you can share with people to help them understand addiction and how to gain a sober life?

Just a few thoughts. Congratulations on this inspirational idea to bring hope to others.

I once read a reference to Bhutan as "the kingdom of the clouds." It looks like you live in a beautiful place. And you have a peaceful, sober life -- one that enables you to enjoy your environment.

Best wishes to you for a wonderful, successful event. I hope you'll feel free to continue coming to SR and be part of our truly global world of sobriety and recovery. Perhaps your event can inspire others.

Venecia
Old 09-17-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Tsezin!!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi winston
thank you for taking out your time, really appreciate your support.

thanks
In fellowship

Tsezin