SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Its my birthday and... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/345270-its-my-birthday.html)

countrygirl2014 09-17-2014 04:55 AM

Its my birthday and...

There are a lot of people asking me to come out for a birthday drink and I don't want them to know of my problem. I work in a bar and I know when I go back in tomorrow, they will be buying me drinks left and right (which I will give away or trade for soda). I don't want any drink, but...is there any other way of going about this without avoiding people like the plague? And for my birthday, I'm taking me to a wildlife sanctuary to look at buffalo, elk and reconnect with nature a little.

maverickspoint 09-17-2014 05:09 AM

Say you are giving up alcohol for your birthday for charity. Every time someone offers to buy you a drink say you would like a donation instead. Have a pot behind the bar and make a thing out of it with all the customers. You could even keep a tally of the drinks people would have brought you and write them on a list, that way people can see how much you would have drank and also what it all would have cost. Put in some money you would have spent on drinks for yourself too :-)
At the end of the night you should have a decent amount and can then pass it onto a good cause. No lies being told and anyone that thinks you getting pissed is more important than giving it to charity can sod off :-)

Meraviglioso 09-17-2014 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by maverickspoint (Post 4903243)
Say you are giving up alcohol for your birthday for charity. Every time someone offers to buy you a drink say you would like a donation instead. Have a pot behind the bar and make a thing out of it with all the customers. You could even keep a tally of the drinks people would have brought you and write them on a list, that way people can see how much you would have drank and also what it all would have cost. Put in some money you would have spent on drinks for yourself too :-)
At the end of the night you should have a decent amount and can then pass it onto a good cause. No lies being told and anyone that thinks you getting pissed is more important than giving it to charity can sod off :-)

This is a FABULOUS idea! Really, really great idea!

I'm glad to hear you have a nice plan for your birthday, going to look at animals sounds interesting and exciting. Take care of yourself and happy birthday!

maverickspoint 09-17-2014 05:15 AM

Oh yes and of course, HAPPY BIRTHDAY :-)

countrygirl2014 09-17-2014 05:32 AM

That IS a really good idea, I love it! And thank you for the birthday wish

Jupiters 09-17-2014 05:33 AM

happy bday! and yah - what a great idea.
Some clever people on this board ;)

maverickspoint 09-17-2014 05:36 AM

Ah thanks guys, I have my moments ha ha

Inchworm 09-17-2014 05:42 AM

Happy birthday, countrygirl! Have fun today. Maverick's moment is fantastic!

countrygirl2014 09-17-2014 05:45 AM

I'm impressed! Lol! I will probably donate it to a wildlife rehab group. I'll research that later so I have a definite home for the money. First, feed my farm and find the buffalo

LBrain 09-17-2014 05:48 AM

what an excellent idea. fantastic maverickspoint.

Happy Birthday countrygirl. I can offer no better idea than mavspoint.

countrygirl2014 09-17-2014 06:32 AM

Ok mav, I have chosen. Carbon County Environmental Education Center's Wildlife rehab center. Now I have already gotten a few "I'm buying you a birthday drink" messages that I have responded with my wishes...it's time to wait and see. People get so offended when you deny alcohol. They don't want to feel miserable all alone I guess.

LBrain 09-17-2014 06:45 AM

excellent CG - you in PA? I camp and fish at MCL, I do a couple raft trips on the Lehigh every year - except this year

maverickspoint 09-17-2014 06:45 AM

I am a huge animal lover so think that's a fantastic cause! :-)

trachemys 09-17-2014 06:54 AM

Absolutely. Brilliant. Solution.

Cecilia44 09-17-2014 07:02 AM

Love the idea and Happy Birthday Country Girl!

:a122:

taramaree 09-17-2014 07:06 AM

Normal drinkers shouldn't be offended by you turning down a drink. :) Happy Birthday! It's mine as well, and I'm going out with family that knows I don't drink anymore. Wishing you success today, and I hope you have a lovely day!

Soberwolf 09-17-2014 07:06 AM

Maverick that you certainly are !

there is an actual cause at the moment with a big uk cancer charity its called Go Sober

if you google it you could tell your friends that and they may even join in

i love the advert sure its on youtube but i cant post links on this as it breeches the rules i think

Go Sober !

and again Maverick well done

Soberwolf 09-17-2014 07:11 AM

:bc6 happy birthday

JasonNorth 09-17-2014 08:50 AM

:hb4

Anna 09-17-2014 08:54 AM

:birthday

I love that you're taking yourself to a wildlife sanctuary.