SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Mental relapse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/345264-mental-relapse.html)

ontherightpath 09-17-2014 04:22 AM

Mental relapse

Had a complete mental relapse last night. Thinking about taking pills like norco, or smoking weed, or smoking hash oil or something. Anything that would give me a buzz. As long as it wasn't alcohol. I didn't follow through, but my mind was off to the races. I woke up this morning feeling pretty crummy about those thoughts. Addiction is cunning baffling powerful. 25 days without a drink. I suppose this is just part of recovery, and I did have a bad day yesterday, so I presume that's where these thoughts came from. On a side note, I don't like weed and was prescribed norcos for my tooth and jaw, but I didn't abuse them. Just needed to share.

sprout50 09-17-2014 04:33 AM

Addiction is a sneaky little thing. Good for you not giving in!

ontherightpath 09-17-2014 04:40 AM

And I think it's important to say this: sharing these feelings will help my sobriety grow. While I am glad that I didn't give in, it's not enough to just not drink or pick up. That makes me dry. White knuckling has never taught me anything, other than it's uncomfortable.

instant 09-17-2014 04:47 AM

Its what you do that is important- just keep going- every day is a new one

Hobbers 09-17-2014 08:49 AM

Hash oil? in the Midwest? Huh... can't say I even know anyone who has done that. Sounds dreadful (and smelly) if you ask me. Don't do it.

Get 'high' off a fast walk! Play a thrilling video game! Go get laid! Eat a big bar of dark chocolate! Lots of ways to get high that are healthier than drugs. :)

Anna 09-17-2014 08:55 AM

I'm glad you got through that.

GirlinASwing 09-17-2014 09:08 AM

So impressed! I am finding that I will need a replacement activity---and, God help me, it will probably be going to the gym! Eeeek!! When the mental obsession begins, I need to kick into another gear that is a complete counter attack.

God bless you as we all heal together!

PurpleKnight 09-17-2014 10:07 AM

Great job on pushing through!! :scoregood

Dee74 09-17-2014 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ontherightpath (Post 4903176)
Had a complete mental relapse last night. Thinking about taking pills like norco, or smoking weed, or smoking hash oil or something. Anything that would give me a buzz. As long as it wasn't alcohol. I didn't follow through, but my mind was off to the races. I woke up this morning feeling pretty crummy about those thoughts. Addiction is cunning baffling powerful. 25 days without a drink. I suppose this is just part of recovery, and I did have a bad day yesterday, so I presume that's where these thoughts came from. On a side note, I don't like weed and was prescribed norcos for my tooth and jaw, but I didn't abuse them. Just needed to share.

Mental relapse? my thoughts about getting 'out of it' were pretty much involuntary in early recovery ;)

It's good you're vigilant, but thoughts are thoughts.

It's what we do in response that counts - and you didn't feed those thoughts and you eoke up sober and clean today.

I don't call that any kind of failure at all :)

D

Soberwolf 09-17-2014 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 4904373)
Mental relapse? my thoughts about getting 'out of it' were pretty much involuntary in early recovery ;)

It's good you're vigilant, but thoughts are thoughts.

It's what we do in response that counts - and you didn't feed those thoughts and you eoke up sober and clean today.

I don't call that any kind of failure at all :)

D

Love it when D posts like this the 'pretty much involuntary in early recovery' part holds so much truth it is so real

Love this post

ontherightpath 09-17-2014 05:53 PM

Thanks all. I did get thru it. It's not a failure, but I feel like I'm not supposed to have these thoughts. I have never shared them before and that is what always led me to relapse. Lack of honesty. I was honest and open about it all. My husband is away working right now. He has ticked me off so much, that instead if arguing with him, I blocked his number. Can't receive calls or texts from him. And I need that right now. Ahhhh..... True space!!!!!! My son showed off his new skills from home ec, and made dinner!!!! So I am doing laundry and getting ready to find my comfy spot on the couch. Hopefully tonight I can sleep. Thanks for being here peeps! Means the world to me!