Notices

Anxiety alcoholism vicious cycle

Old 09-16-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety alcoholism vicious cycle

I’m still having trouble stopping drinking after five or so years and three inpatient detoxes. I’ve always relapsed after about a month when whatever stupid rationalizations enter my head about it being okay to drink again. I’ve had serious anxiety problems since middle school. By the end of my work day, due to both alcohol withdrawal and my underlying anxiety, I feel on the verge of a panic attack (of which I’ve had many). Sometimes I’ve drank on the way home from work, so desperate am I to alleviate the anxiety. I feel like I need some serious inpatient treatment to address my anxiety and alcohol issues at the same time, but I don’t think I can do so without losing my job or at least going many thousands of dollars in debt. Any input would be appreciated. This forum really looks like an awesome place for advice and inspiration.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I try to exercise in morning to help with anxiety, and meditation helps too.

This book is also very helpful for anxiety -

The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy by John P. Forsyth

Last edited by Dee74; 09-17-2014 at 05:15 PM. Reason: removed commercial link
Old 09-16-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do whatever you can to stop drinking that's where most of my anxiety issue came from. Bad part is yes it will take time but get to your doctor he can help you with your anixety. I know how you feel I deal with anxiety, if you continue drinking it will only get worse
Old 09-16-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi TaiCarm, I had to deal with anxieties when I was drinking and found out when I stopped a lot of it was gone but i did go to docs for my anxieties, which helped.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and have had panic attacks since my teens. I know where you're coming from.
I drank for twenty years to keep the anxiety at bay. Of course, all the heavy drinking made my anxiety unbearable the next day. I was in such a state of overwhelming anxiety after a binge once that I hid in a closet. I used to drink before work to make it though. Of course all the drinking turned me into an alcoholic.

Some people don't understand the condition and put the cart before the horse.
If you're like me, stopping drinking won't stop the anxiety.
I had to see a psychiatrist to finally get relief. I'm now on medication for anxiety and I've got my life back.

it really is a vicious cycle-drinking to stop the anxiety only to have it worse the next day.
I was a very heavy drinker, and once I got sober and got help things improved dramatically.
There is hope for people like us. You have to seek it out, though, which it sounds like you're willing to do.
Perhaps you can see a psychiatrist or counselor? I think t would help greatly. If you have insurance, it may even cover it.
I understand where you're coming from and you are not alone.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As far as I know, there is no way the anxiety is going to stop if the drinking continues. Alcohol exacerbates anxiety and panic, while seeming like it's the solution to it. It lies. It only makes it worse.

My anxiety and panic made me agoraphobic. I could no longer function. I was absolutely a candidate for medication, but because I got sober in 1984 and not 2014, it wasn't presented as the first option for me. I was forced to learn to live and think differently if I wanted to rid myself of the horror show my mind had become.

AA opened the door to a great deal of that new living. I immediately started incorporating the 12 steps into my life, and then took every other possible suggestion to stop feeling the way I was feeling. Things didn't change overnight, and I didn't change my habits overnight, but I started exercising, doing relaxation exercises, reading positive material and books on how to cope with anxiety and panic. Counseling helped immensely too, as did some major changes in my diet. I'm free now from the panic and anxiety that once crippled me. I was a mess of anxiety from my earliest memory, and I don't believe it is a life sentence unless we're unwilling to learn to do things differently.

Putting down the alcohol is the first step.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
As far as I know, there is no way the anxiety is going to stop if the drinking continues. Alcohol exacerbates anxiety and panic, while seeming like it's the solution to it. It lies. It only makes it worse.

AA opened the door to a great deal of that new living. I immediately started incorporating the 12 steps into my life, and then took every other possible suggestion to stop feeling the way I was feeling. Things didn't change overnight, and I didn't change my habits overnight, but I started exercising, doing relaxation exercises, reading positive material and books on how to cope with anxiety and panic. Counseling helped immensely too, as did some major changes in my diet. I'm free now from the panic and anxiety that once crippled me. I was a mess of anxiety from my earliest memory, and I don't believe it is a life sentence unless we're unwilling to learn to do things differently.

Putting down the alcohol is the first step.

True words written. This getting sober is a process of doing what is successful for others and always involves two words I never fancied: WORK AND CHANGE. It’s not a soft and fuzzy process and is something beyond just stopping drinking. Many can stop for short periods and I wanted to be an old timer some day.
Our society wants instant everything but sobriety is a process that takes time. Once we stop we can look back and say this or that has gone away now as a result of not drinking. We can then more easily even like our self and life.

BE WELL
Old 09-17-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

For me my anxiety disappeared with longterm Sobriety, alcohol was simply fuelling the flames!!

What support do you have when you get to that 1 month mark, or is it sheer willpower, maybe checking out SR regularly for support might get you past that hurdle!!
Old 09-17-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tai

As you can see there are two main experiences with alcoholism and anxiety.

If your anxiety started with your drinking, then stopping drinking often fixes the problem - no immediately...but eventually

If you anxiety predates your drinking (or even maybe was a cause of it) then obviously you're going to need to address that anxiety.

some people see their Dr or a counsellor...I didn't go that route myself tho. I found some breathing exercises helped me to deal with a lot of my anxiety - as did exercise.

I also found that the more I engaged with problems, instead of reatreating to the bottle, the more I thought of myself as capable and that fear of failure I used to have fell away a lot.

I'm not cured...but I'm the best I've ever been and I'm ok with that

Hope you find a solution that fits you

D
Old 09-17-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I saw a doc about depression issues and that slowly, gradually helped with those, then i started exercising, and then i really faced up to the booze. One thing at a time helped me a lot trying to do everything at once is a challenge.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Tai

As you can see there are two main experiences with alcoholism and anxiety.

If your anxiety started with your drinking, then stopping drinking often fixes the problem - no immediately...but eventually

If you anxiety predates your drinking (or even maybe was a cause of it) then obviously you're going to need to address that anxiety.

some people see their Dr or a counsellor...I didn't go that route myself tho. I found some breathing exercises helped me to deal with a lot of my anxiety - as did exercise.

I also found that the more I engaged with problems, instead of reatreating to the bottle, the more I thought of myself as capable and that fear of failure I used to have fell away a lot.

I'm not cured...but I'm the best I've ever been and I'm ok with that

Hope you find a solution that fits you

D
Very similar D and great advice
Old 09-17-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was someone who also had panic attacks from my teenage years, but I really didn't know what was happening and that I could get help for it. So, I struggled along for years and eventually began drinking in order to sleep at night. As others have said, stopping drinking will help with breaking the vicious cycle, but there are other things that can help. Meditation, yoga, trying to keep my life balanced - all those things help me.