Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Looking for 'food addicts/EDs practicing AVRT or similar self empowering approaches

Notices

Looking for 'food addicts/EDs practicing AVRT or similar self empowering approaches

Old 09-16-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Looking for 'food addicts/EDs practicing AVRT or similar self empowering approaches

Hello Sober Recovery,

I am not new to recovery but relatively new to this site. I have been reading the secular thread on AVRT with great interest recently and decided to finally post. I am looking for people with food issues who practice AVRT or self-empowering concepts. I need to be with like minded people as I embark on a self defined abstinence and close the door on this for good. I always change my mind!

I have been journeying for many years and now and not even sure what to call myself anymore. My 'addiction' is food and I have had many treatments and been through 12 step programmes for about 15 years using very structured food plans and programmes and abstinence. I have mostly relapsed after a couple of months with 2 years abstinence being my longest back in 2000.

For the last 10 years, I have been involved in psychoanalytic psychotherapy which was progressively chipping away at the concepts of rigidity and powerlessness. I have let go of many of the old ways and my eating is very different to what it was - much better. However I still use food and have anxiety around food and weight. I still drag the addiction around with me although it has a much less rigid looking grip on me these days. I would really like to close the door on it for once and for all. that's why I like AVRT because I think I really fell victim to believing in the powerless and hopeless relapsing nature of addiction and have played victim to that for the longest time.

This is a bit of a ramble but I am looking for a place where I can explore what I now am and what I need and then commit to it and share it with like minded people. All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks for reading...
Old 09-16-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

This has been an on-going topic. Here is a recent post in part 2 of the thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4472662