Notices

Remind me why we drink?

Old 09-16-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Remind me why we drink?

So far in 16 days without drinking I've;
  • Cleaned out all my house cupboards & chucked loads of stuff (including bank statements over 10 years old).
  • Found loads of old things i thought i'd lost, including a 44 year old teddybear & washed him & re-stuffed him.
  • Got back to the gym & working very hard
  • Turned up for work on time every day (20 mins late was standard for me)
  • worked late twice (id usually be out the door at 5.00)
  • Walked to work twice in 2 weeks (I've only done it twice in the year before)
  • Arranged to spend a weekend with my dad (I've never done this alone before, always as part of wider family gatherings)
  • Met my sister & helped her sort her finances (at my request)
  • Sorted my own finances out.
  • Put some curtains up (took me 14 months)
  • Bought an Ironing board (took 8 weeks to do this).
  • My complexion & skin is looking great
  • my breath & mouth feels very fresh & I have no worry about breathing on people.
  • no puffyness under the eyes
  • I have so much more money - I've spent about £100 on new household items to brighten the place up,
  • started reading my first book in about 5 years
  • went to the theater
  • wash my face every night before bed (sadly i usually didn't bother).
  • eating so much more healthier
  • I started to wear a belt for my jeans as they became loose.

The list goes on, but it just goes to show when you aren't wasting 4 or 5 hours a night & all weekend drinking, you loose all your motivation for all the little things that make your life so much better & organised.

Without realizing it, you're a walking zombie all week, topping yourself up with pints of low-dose poison daily.

can somebody remind me why we drink in the first place???
Old 09-16-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

because we're alcoholic?

lol

yeah, it's pretty amazing how much can be accomplished in the time it takes to guzzle poison.....
Old 09-16-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
because we're alcoholic?

lol

yeah, it's pretty amazing how much can be accomplished in the time it takes to guzzle poison.....

It's a rhetorical question. To highlight a point Mr!

Old 09-16-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fantastic!!!!
Old 09-16-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome list and well done! Glad you are seeing the advantages and the things you can accomplish, including breathing on people. LOL!
Old 09-16-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I honestly don't know fella,

Well done on your sober time,

Bruno.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

why we drink

Good question,depression loneliness,fear,pain,I guess you can go on and on,on my fifth day i feel like I'am in a boat without a paddle,been drinking for 40 plus years quit a few times,I enrolled in a outpatient treatment program for the first time,I really don't have many choices left since my health has taken a turn for the worse,hope you stay sober,god bless you,Al.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HARLEYRED2007 View Post
Good question,depression loneliness,fear,pain,I guess you can go on and on,on my fifth day i feel like I'am in a boat without a paddle,been drinking for 40 plus years quit a few times,I enrolled in a outpatient treatment program for the first time,I really don't have many choices left since my health has taken a turn for the worse,hope you stay sober,god bless you,Al.
I know there are lots of reasons why people turn to drink & they stick with it because it's addictive.

I'm not trying to simplify or ignore the complex reasons why people drink.

I just wanted to share my own thoughts for my learning benefit & perhaps for others who are in early stages like me.

& 5 days is fantastic. soon you'll be cleaning out your cupboards next week like i was
Old 09-16-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Excellent! Some of these are on my to-do list. Especially spring cleaning cupboards etc..

I never used to wash my face before bed either (nor brush my teeth). And I wear make-up... yech.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just what I needed at this moment.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hopeful

JasonNorth,
You are an inspiration! I am on day 6 and I have marveled at how much better I feel. Little by little, I am gaining more energy to do things. I used to just get home from work, crash in my chair with a bottle (or more) of wine until it was time to go to bed. Now, I have visited a girl in the hospital, went shopping a bit, went out to dinner with my dad. I can't wait to see what day 16 brings for me!!! Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 09-16-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes the last 16 days have been great! Let's keep Em coming!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-17-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great stuff, thanks for typing this out. YOu have done A LOT! Congratulations to you!
Old 09-17-2014, 12:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drank because it's what I've always done. For me stopping drinking is facing a life unknown to me.....I put off stopping out of fear of being adrift once I let go of alcohol. When it's all you've ever known or remember the fear holds you in place. The same reason you stay in a crappy job because of the fear that the new job might leave you more miserable than the current one.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarathonMan View Post
I drank because it's what I've always done. For me stopping drinking is facing a life unknown to me.....I put off stopping out of fear of being adrift once I let go of alcohol. When it's all you've ever known or remember the fear holds you in place. The same reason you stay in a crappy job because of the fear that the new job might leave you more miserable than the current one.

How do you fill 40 hours a week that have previously been filled by drinking?

It's easy to see two things for you. Running and getting back to shape. Plus becoming a parent.

Why don't you sign up for a marathon next year? A goal to train for.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JasonNorth View Post
How do you fill 40 hours a week that have previously been filled by drinking?

It's easy to see two things for you. Running and getting back to shape. Plus becoming a parent.

Why don't you sign up for a marathon next year? A goal to train for.
I actually didn't really stop running this relapse.....I actually ran quite a lot of times at the weekend while drunk which is a very different experience and probably not advisable. I'm booked in to run London Marathon this year so I will be doing a marathon. Although some times I'm not sure running helps me all that much, it's very bitter sweet for me as alcohol addiction made me throw away some real opportunities I had in the sport.

As you said fatherhood is my main motivation....I would like to be a better husband and a good dad.

Anyway don't want to hijack you're thread, congrats on 16 days, I'm on 8 so hopefully we can take the journey together.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Because we are brainwashed and conditioned from an early age to think that pouring a toxic poison down ones throat will enhance our lives .

When I look at teenagers drinking now makes me sad , I wonder how many of them will have problems with it or accidents etc . It's like they are told YOU have now reached a certain age it's time to start pouring a toxic drug into your amazing human body . Advertising peer pressure etc as regards to alcohell is relentless .
Old 09-17-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nice post!!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

great post jason
Old 09-17-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Fantastic post. That is amazing, such a lot done. You are right on all the hours back, that's like 28+ per week? Wow, never thought of it like that.