Notices

Jealousy

Old 09-16-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Jealousy

Sooo. I've been noticing the last couple days that I am jealous of - pretty much everybody that's not me.

I'm jealous of my Dad, with his two years' sobriety and firm footing in AA. It's his first bout with recovery and it seems to be sticking. He got two months inpatient rehab in a scenic treatment center back east. I'm jealous of that too.

I'm jealous of folks with years of recovery under their belts. I covet their wisdom and humility and patience.

I'm jealous of those still in the ruts of their addictions - even with all the pain it brings. I'm jealous of their ignorance.

I'm jealous of those with jobs and a means to pay for their rent, car, life.

I'm jealous of those whose only concerns seem to be what they're going to eat for dinner tonight, whether or not they're going to set their alarm for 6 or 6:30, and what they're going to wear today.

I'm jealous of people who've never struggled with addictions.

~~~

And that's just to list a few. Idk, the last time(s) I was sober, I never had these feelings of jealousy. I don't know if they're healthy - that they represent a DESIRE within me to be better, to improve, etc., or if it's my AV aiding and abetting the ongoing pity-party in my head.

I feel like I'm in a glass cage, that I'm not participating in recovery, that I'm just an onlooker, stuck in a trap and can't get out. I'm sober, I'm going to meetings, and I know that's about all that's required in early recovery... but still. These feelings of jealousy are confusing me. It's very "not me", so to speak.

Just had to air the sheets and get that out there. Harumph.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sobriety doesn't happen in the future tense, it happens in the here and now, every minute and hour that ticks by that's you doing it and making it happen, you are achieving Sobriety here in the present!!

So don't be too hard on yourself, it's also going to take time for things to adjust as your body/mind adjust to not having alcohol, my mind was all over the place for the first few weeks, plenty of questions and emotions, with very few answers, but that was ok!!

Focus on Sobriety, that's the foundation of the whole thing, everything else in life can be built upon that, but it's going to take time!!

You can do this!! Hang in there!!
Old 09-16-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'll give you a few minutes to think of a different word than jealous.

oh, I got one, maybe resentfulness? I spent years being "jealous" of what others had - or did not. When I finally realized that I had to accept myself as I am, it freed me from my concerns of others. I no longer coveted things, I no longer worried what people thought of me, I became my own person.

And that allowed me to focus on myself and my immediate needs. Once I was able to do that, there was a burden lifted from my shoulders. It was a kind of freedom for me. For the first time in years my only concern was doing what I had to in order to address the problems I faced. No outside influences could change the state or position I was in. I did it to myself. I am learning to deal with it. Getting outside help in learning how to do that for myself was also instrumental in my moving forward. BUT, my thoughts about others really was of no use to me.
Hope I made sense.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Envious? Lol

Covetous?
Old 09-16-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO understand!!!!!!!!!

I think that we can only feel "jealous" of somebody if we feel they have something better than us. We have to see them as being "higher" on the scale of life success than we are.

Of course when we first come into recovery, we feel like the worst people alive. We've damaged relationships, hurt ourselves, consistently acted against our own moral integrity until we feel like the lowest of the low.

It's completely NORMAL to feel like everybody else has something you want.

As we work on ourselves in our recovery, we start to grow, change, become healthier, mend those relationships we've destroyed, become the people we were intended to be from the start. Our confidence grows, and we start to love ourselves again.

The jealous will subside.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Desirousness?
Old 09-16-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I'll give you a few minutes to think of a different word than jealous.

oh, I got one, maybe resentfulness? I spent years being "jealous" of what others had - or did not. When I finally realized that I had to accept myself as I am, it freed me from my concerns of others. I no longer coveted things, I no longer worried what people thought of me, I became my own person.

And that allowed me to focus on myself and my immediate needs. Once I was able to do that, there was a burden lifted from my shoulders. It was a kind of freedom for me. For the first time in years my only concern was doing what I had to in order to address the problems I faced. No outside influences could change the state or position I was in. I did it to myself. I am learning to deal with it. Getting outside help in learning how to do that for myself was also instrumental in my moving forward. BUT, my thoughts about others really was of no use to me.
Hope I made sense.
I don't really resent what others have; I'm happy for them. I just wish I had it too, lol. If that makes sense. It's like a happy jealousy?

I agree though, a lot of it boils down to acceptance. Though I think - and maybe I'm wrong - I'm pretty accepting of where I am right now. I can totally accept that I am powerless over alcohol and that my on/off switch is broken in that regard. I'm 100% okay with that. I can accept that I'm broke and that I don't have a job and that all my relationships are not what they should be. I can accept that it may take me years to rebuild.

I don't know what to DO after accepting it all though. There's a disconnect for me, where you say

When I finally realized that I had to accept myself as I am, it freed me from my concerns of others. I no longer coveted things, I no longer worried what people thought of me, I became my own person.

And that allowed me to focus on myself and my immediate needs.
So maybe I'm accepting of the circumstances but not of myself? ... hmmm. (just thinking aloud here) ... I don't like me very much (but that's par for the course, no? At this point anyway) ... huh. I'm having trouble putting all this into words here.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

rg, I posted something maybe provocative.

anyway, I'm heading out to a T Petty concert - my ride is here. gotta run for now.

best wishes LB
Old 09-16-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
rg, I posted something maybe provocative.

anyway, I'm heading out to a T Petty concert - my ride is here. gotta run for now.

best wishes LB
You're fine, Brain! Just food for thought. I appreciate the input, truly.

Gosh, Tom Petty!!! Enjoy, man!

Old 09-16-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can relate in that I compare myself to others often. And yes, I get jealoous over others outsides- confidence, peace etc. especially when I compare that to my insides. It does not match and I feel inadequate. Not healthy to do but it is a tough habit to break.
You mentioned you are powerless over alcohol. We are also powerless over many things including people and many circumstances. The only thing we can control is our actions and with work our attitudes. Those are the things you should focus on. It takes practice and time. Saying the serenity prayer can help to keep these things in mind.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think early recovery is a very humbling experience.

I had been envious of others before and during my drinking years. I believed that everyone was smarter, prettier, wealthier, etc than I was. When I hit bottom, all that fell away and I began to look inward. It was the beginning of the journey.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
quat

Tp and the hbs, now I'm jealous
Old 09-16-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Tp and the hbs, now I'm jealous
Haha, I thought of that too! LOL
Old 09-16-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I remember, in my cups, I had a raging inferiority complex. I'm talking, I just sat in the couch and drank bottles of wine every night and snarked my way through the evening, watching out the window at all those other people who didn't have my struggle filled life.

God, it was a miserable existence.

My pity pot was huge. Enough to feed the world. No one had it as bad as me. And the more I fell into that trap, the more I justified drinking. Woe is me. Wash, rinse, repeat.

When I started getting serious about not wanting to feel like I was going to die everyday (aka "Sobriety") slowly I started gaining some self respect. Not gaining it "back" because I never really had any. But simply by putting one sober foot in front if the other, day after day, regardless of how life kicked my butt that day, I started finding my footing.

And I started to genuinely like myself. Who knew that underneath all the booze and substances, there was a really cool broad in there that was just waiting to be freed ?

Not in an Ego based way, where I thought I was better than everyone else. But, finally, in sobriety, I started to feel like maybe I wasn't the waste of space I had come to believe I was. That I had become as a result of my addiction.

It took time. And commitment. And failure. And recommitment. And a genuine willingness to listen to those that are having success with sobriety and following their lead. There is so much wisdom here.

You got a helluva great head on those shoulders. You've got what it takes to do this.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm jealous of the way you're able to put into words exactly how you feel
Old 09-16-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you, alphaomega. I believe perhaps that yes, under all this rot, lies a pretty nifty chick. It's just a matter of clearing house, and, well, that's a dirty process.

Hahaha, Leah, you crack me up. Good case in point.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's absolutely nothing I've done too RogueDreams.

Try and be patient tho - in recovery, I really believe the journey is the thing, not the destination

You're right where you need to be right now

D
Old 09-16-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by roguedreams View Post
I believe perhaps that yes, under all this rot, lies a pretty nifty chick. It's just a matter of clearing house, and, well, that's a dirty process.
But so damn worth the fight.

You are quite well versed. I enjoy your quips. Ever thought about a profession in writing ?
Old 09-16-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
But so damn worth the fight.

You are quite well versed. I enjoy your quips. Ever thought about a profession in writing ?
I would absolutely, unabashedly love to write all day (and night)! Unfortunately, aside from my rich grade school and high school education, I have nothing tangible/"on paper" (read, collegiate studies, even copywriting experience, etc.) to tout my written skills to a potential employer. Let's add a key word there ... yet.

~~~

Thanks, Dee. I truly appreciate you taking the time to pop in and offer reassurance, it really helps. I know I'm right where I belong - no matter how much I dislike it, no matter how glum I may be over my current state of affairs. Perhaps my biggest regret at the moment is that I took a job that is inherently entrenched in alcohol - so now I'm not only sober (woo!) but sober AND broke. Anyway, dead horse.

<returns to online job applications>
Old 09-16-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I know volunteering doesn't pay the bills but perhaps you could write for free for a local newspaper or something. Show off your mad skills then maybe they'll hire you based off performance and not whats on your resume. At the very least it's something to put on a resume for future job opportunities (even if said job isn't a writing job).