Notices

Checking in

Old 09-15-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in

I haven't been on for a while. I have been going to AA, found a home group (and have been to a group conscious meeting), a sponsor, and now regularly meet with my sponsor. The one thing that bothers me is that I am not supposed to talk to my sponsor about anything unrelated to my drinking. If it has to do with a different stress in my life she brings it back to drinking and says she is there to help me with that and nothing else. I am sure she knows what she is doing, I was just surprised.

I do have struggles with wanting to drink. Right now what I am doing is when one comes up I try to divert my attention to something else. I also remind myself that I have an allergy to alcohol just like I have an allergy to shellfish. Both could make me very sick or potentially kill me.

I don't know if thinking like this is right or wrong but right now it seems to help.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know there is a good possibility that if I drink again it will kill me - seems to work for me.

Have you considered that maybe this sponsor is simply not a good fit for you?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've wondered that but this is the first sponsor I've had. Not sure what I should be expecting.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can understand how that might be frustrating. For me, life stress was a great big trigger to go get a bottle of wine. Learning how to act and react differently (and more appropriately) in those stressful, triggering circumstances was a big key in saying goodbye to the alcohol. It's one thing to not ever drink again. Another thing to embrace life and learn new ways of coping.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

hmmmm, unusual to be a male with a female sponsor. Are there no men to sponsor?

This is highly suggested, though not unheard of.....
Sponsors are just people and as such each one is different. I discuss many difference topics with mine. Nothing is off the table specifically if it threatens my sobriety.

Perhaps the boundary is gender related?
It would be difficult to do step 4 with someone of the opposite sex as well......

peace
Old 09-15-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't know, I think it's kind of nice that she doesn't want to interfere in other aspects of your life besides drinking. I've heard of too many sponsors who are very bossy and try to micromanage their sponsee's business.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The gender things is really frowned upon and brings up a ton of other issues.

Everyone is different and just because you have completed steps does not make you a certified therapist. There are many sick people who sponsor - knowingly and unknowingly.

You can't only think about certain things. Its not how thoughts are formed. Selective thinking would be very difficult in my experience and I would find this technique quite useless.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
hmmmm, unusual to be a male with a female sponsor. Are there no men to sponsor?
Pretty sure Snakes is a her.

As for your sponsor not wanting to talk about anything other than your drinking, it may be that she feels qualified to walk you through the steps, but doesn't want to take on the role of counselor or therapist.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My old sponsor and I would talk about a lot of things like alcohol and outside stresses such as my relationship with my mother, work, etc...Have you ever asked why she diverts the issue back to alcohol...I mean in search of an answer more than just her saying she's just to help you with that and nothing else. Perhaps she doesn't know how to help you with other stresses because she doesn't have the tools/techniques? Just my thoughts...
Old 09-15-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Pretty sure Snakes is a her.

As for your sponsor not wanting to talk about anything other than your drinking, it may be that she feels qualified to walk you through the steps, but doesn't want to take on the role of counselor or therapist.
Not according to His profile....
Old 09-15-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck in staying sober have you read living sober ?

found this book so amazing
Old 09-15-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

what step are you working on now?
Old 09-15-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm in agreement in the sponsor of the same gender thing, to avoid intimacy confusion. However, I was part of a gay/bi AA fellowship at one point, and the whole thing was much more confusing there, because while someone of your own gender would likely identify much more with your experiences and issues, misunderstanding intimacy as connection or attraction was also possible. It required more deliberate/careful communication, and the gender rules about sponsorship were slightly loosened...

I think you try to find a sponsor whom you respect, enjoy, and think you'll grow with. I've had to work a bit to find ones who used more general spiritual language - I am not Christian, and while I can "translate" the Christian references in meetings and in the literature, for the depth of the sponsorship relationship I want someone who shares my spiritual perspective a bit. Importantly for the above post - I save most of the discussions and requests for feedback on relationships, life direction, etc., for my program friends.

Program friends who are not your sponsor are a really important part of the "family web" of sobriety support for me. It is a very different relationship than sponsorship. I have both male and female program friends, and access them differently for different kinds of conversations - with some we dish on dating and relationship, others we talk program and recovery, and others are folks I just love to tool around with and have adventures in sobriety. I get to choose who I access for what guidance, and who I share what with.

I love my sponsor. She is an amazing lady; I felt fully comfortable opening up to her with my fifth step, and we meet for coffee or go to meetings. She is my mother's age, and I feel that she fills the role and space in my life of wise woman.

I need to fill all the spaces in my life with supportive people, all those roles. I need to spread myself among many people in my sobriety community, actively feeding all those relationships for me and for them. Some might not make it, some might move away, some might be part of my life for decades. This recovery board is part of that collage of mutual support as well.

It takes a village...
Old 09-15-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A healthy respect of alcohol is not a bad thing, the times I got complacent were the times that my mind could convince me I could now control alcohol, things would be different this time, one drink won't hurt!!

The acceptance that alcohol could open a door that I may not come back from wasn't a bad perspective to have to clock up some Sober time and build a solid foundation!!
Old 09-16-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi all. I am a her. Lol. Anyway, I don't know why my profile says male. I'll go change that. And, my sponsor is female too.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Well there we go!!!
Yea, it said Male??!!! Nevermind........

Still sounds like SHE is outta the box...Should be able to speak a variety of topics....

peace