SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Finally doing it (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/345186-finally-doing.html)

mindfulness49 09-16-2014 07:27 AM

Finally doing it

Hello, everyone.

After two years of waffling back and forth as to whether or not I am an alcoholic, I know that I am. I can go for 3 or 4 days without drinking anything and I don't even particularly crave it, but on a Friday or Saturday night, one drink turns into 6 or 7.

Alcoholism runs in my family, and I always hated drinking (literally could not stand the taste of anything alcoholic) until my mid forties. It only took 3 years to get me to this place of being out of control.

I am also a relapsed smoker after 2 years of sobriety with that, too. I am disgusted with myself.

FeelingGreat 09-16-2014 08:30 AM

Hi mindfulness, I was a late achiever in the drinking field as well. I promise that stopping will be the best decision you ever made. You can relax without thinking about whether and how much you'll drink, mornings will be wonderful and you'll lose that sense of self-loathing that follows a heavy night.
Do you have a plan to become sober?

mindfulness49 09-16-2014 09:10 AM

Thank you for replying, Feeling Great.

I'm just trying to not drink (or smoke) today. I am tired of feeling disgusted with myself, and as you said, I want my mornings to be wonderful, without waking up to shame and remorse (again).

biminiblue 09-16-2014 09:13 AM

Great, mindfulness.

You will have some tough times - we all make it through them. Emotions will be all over the place, you will feel anxious, tired, etc.

Ride it out. It gets better - so much better.

Alynn 09-16-2014 09:16 AM

Welcome mindful! This is a great place... I was the same way.. Could go for days sometimes weeks in between drinks and not crave it.. I When I did drink it was 7-10 drinks... Constantly progressing. So done with it!

Glad you are here!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me

PurpleKnight 09-16-2014 09:54 AM

You can make it happen!! Keep it going!! :You_Rock_

livingnow 09-16-2014 10:22 AM

"I am also a relapsed smoker after 2 years of sobriety with that, too. I am disgusted with myself. "

Based on what you wrote, you will become Alcohol and tobacco free. i CAN HEAR IT IN YOU!
They go very much hand in hand.
I quit smoking in 06.

Take the disgust and turn it to victory .
Pick ONE to quit, get it down then tackle the other.
Hang here, post and learn

Soberwolf 09-16-2014 10:40 AM

Good luck nice to meet you

SadieJack 09-16-2014 10:56 AM

Quitting both smoking and drinking at the same time may be a bit much to handle. I quit smoking in 1991 after 20 years. I still have cravings every so often! It is a bear. Now I am quitting another addiction and I am sure that it will be a bear too!

Maybe you should focus on one thing at a time. Which ever you choose to quit, booze or smoking, will probably demand all of your effort. Best of luck!

Sasha4 09-16-2014 11:12 AM

I waffled for a long time like you did about the label.
It just prolonged the drinking for me.

In the end I realised it didn't really matter what I was - binge drinker, alcoholic, alcohol abuser, problem drinker - the fact was drink made me really, really unhappy and others round me unhappy too.

Once I accepted that, it was easier to give up.
I always remember now, over 2 years later, that the reason I did give up alcohol was unhappiness.

I am happy to say that, although m life is far from hearts, kittens, rainbows and sugar all the time, alcohol has caused me no further unhappiness.

I wish you the best xx

flossyfressia 09-16-2014 11:25 AM

It's taken me a long time to come to terms with my drinking problem. I honestly tried to pretend that everybody else drank just like I did. I made the jokes about my drinking. The thing is, there were only so many times I could joke about a black out, or wake up wondering who I'd offended.

Welcome to SR xx

mindfulness49 09-16-2014 01:23 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your wonderful support. I truly appreciate it.