Notices

Is this a healthy way to fight AV?

Old 09-15-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

soooo, tonight I'm tempted but trying to think positive, stay strong, remain busy, blah blah and of course you know who is knocking on my temples telling me I'm not really an alcoholic and a glass of wine won't hurt and I'm not like everyone else who can't control their drinking blah blah blah. So I consciously think ok fine, I've gone 8 days whatever, I'll have some wine. You win, I suck and I'm drinking tonight. BUT I told myself I at least had to wait until the kids went to bed. I no more than loaded the dishwasher and the craving had passed. And I thought, well that was dumb but hey, whatever works! So my question tonight... Is this healthy? Or did I teeter way too close to the edge? It's like I shut up the AV long enough for the craving to pass and I did not drink!!!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi! I found it best to just acknowledge the AV, and move on. "Yes, I'm sure YOU want a drink, but I don't. YOU are not ME. I do not drink Ever." As you noticed, it passes. It will
Always pass. and for me, the acknowledgment and moving on is so automatic I rarely even notice. Just don't entertain the AV. it thrives on attention, I think.

Love from Lenina
Old 09-15-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Leah, I think that is GREAT! As long as you didn't drink, I don't think there is healthy/unhealthy way to handle a craving. Some cravings may be easier or harder than others to fight, but as long as you didn't drink the wine, who cares? You MADE IT! Next time I am sure it will be easier.

GREAT JOB!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Leah,
Think about this: the average craving, for anything, lasts about 7 minutes. Learned that in therapy. So, if you can do something else for a few minutes, don't matter what, usually the craving will pass. ISN'T THAT COOL?!

Awesome job shuttin'down the AV

Bunnez
Old 09-15-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I learned something similar to Bunnez…about urges usually lasting under 10 minutes. We can't control what we think of, so instead of fearing those thoughts I developed an image (and they happen very infrequently now). Have you ever played badminton, and that little white shuttlecock comes drifting lazily over the net and then "doiiinning" you tap it and it floats back over again. That is sort of how I deal with those thoughts…"doiinngg"….

It won't feel like this forever. Something else that worked at first for me that sounds similar to what you used tonight.."I just won't drink right now". It is amazing how the urge passes if we distract ourselves and that is where ice cream comes in…..
Old 09-15-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've done the same thing....wait a bit before getting some wine. And then the craving passes! Good job Leah - you will be so grateful in the morning that you didn't drink. Way to go.
  # 7 (permalink)  

And one other thing…you have probably heard of HALT (hungry, angry, lonely, tired). Almost invariably when I have had urges when I run through that list in my mind one or two apply.
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Tell it to go get a drink.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

... and waiting out those 7-10 minutes is called distress tolerance. I HATE DISTRESS TOLERANCE. Lol

I think, Leah, last night you were talking about talking back to your AV. I thought of you cussing it out today, as I was on my way to a meeting and this song came on my Pandora. Aside from a brief trip down memory lane (when the song first came out, I was ... oof) ... the lyrics rather jumped out at me (I don't know if it's your type of music, but...) -

Old 09-15-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That song rocks. I can't say I've ever heard it until now but I thoroughly enjoyed it! I'm thinking that rockstar girl in the video was me on a drunken night I can't remember lol
Old 09-15-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

... and try a meeting! I've been going just as something to do, to be around other sober people with accumulated years of wisdom and experience under their belts.

Btw, this book is free on Amazon Kindle just for today, you may've seen it mentioned in the Book section of the forums? I downloaded it - it's pretty good, easy read.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-15-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think I totally just replied to a different post of yours, here. Wups.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thoughts are merely that, there is nothing inevitable, just riding them out with time sometimes is all that is needed!!
Old 09-16-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always think it's best never to give the AV any quarter at all.

Allowing the possibility of a drink later is leaving the door open, however slightly....and when we feel vulnerable we can start to thinking about that possibility.

Here are some good ideas on how to deal with cravings without haveing to baragin with your addiction:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 09-16-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

leah, take that experience forward. Always remember that if you put it off for a period of time, it goes away.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I like the badminton analogy, I'm going to steal that one

dooooooooooooooooiing!
Old 09-16-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

If you're sober it was a healthy response to AV.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
Have you ever played badminton, and that little white shuttlecock comes drifting lazily over the net and then "doiiinning" you tap it and it floats back over again. That is sort of how I deal with those thoughts…"doiinngg"….
My new word! Love this.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I liked the badminton analogy too. Stealing it as well. Thanks!