Notices

Need a good book

Old 09-15-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need a good book

Hi all, I finished reading my current book last night and need another good read. FYI today is day 8 for me so any ideas on someone very new to sobriety?? I know I need to get into the spiritual side of sobriety too...
Old 09-15-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

The only book I've read on the subject of addiction is Rational Recovery The New Cure For Substance Addiction by J.Trimpey
have you seen the BooK Club forum at the "bottom" here?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Waiting by Marya Hornbacher and Mindfulness and the Twelve Steps by Therese Jacobs Stewart.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Here's a list of recovery/spirituality books. It's a 'sticky' in newcomers forum

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html
Old 09-15-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm curious if anyone has read, "Don’t Let the Bastards Grind You Down: 50 Things Every Alcoholic and Addict in Early Recovery Should Know, or How to Stay Clean and Sober, Recovery from Addiction and Substance Abuse."

Check it out here on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Don%C2%92t-Let...for+alcoholics
Old 09-15-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ah ok. I see the book forum now. I was using the SR app on my phone and missed it before. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Paulo Coelho- The Alchemist.

Beautiful story, short read. You won't put it down.

Several great books by this well known Brazilian author.
Google search him perhaps.....

peace
Old 09-15-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leah333 View Post
Hi all, I finished reading my current book last night and need another good read. FYI today is day 8 for me so any ideas on someone very new to sobriety?? I know I need to get into the spiritual side of sobriety too...
Who says you need to get into the spiritual side of sobriety? I'm not saying do or don't, but there is no rule that to get and stay sober one must become spiritual. Now, some people might say you MUST become spiritual... oops, never mind.

But I kid...

Seriously, with the exception of not drinking, drop all notions of what you "need to do" or what you don't "need to do." In my opinion, what's best is to keep and open mind, learn as much as you can, find what works for YOU, and don't drink.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

books by RUIZ....The Voice of Knowledge (excellent) and The Four Agreements.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

As Least pointed out, we have lots of amazing books on recovery and spirituality on our Book List, so I'm sure you will find something you like.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

Now if you are asking because you just like fiction , and if you like sci-fi get all the Neal Stephson you can find! Start with Snowcrash or The Diamond Age and if you like philosophy mixed with sci-fi grab Anathem omg good!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Leah, a book I adored a few years ago in the Richard and judy book club was

The Shadow of the Wind by Julián Carax

The novel, set in post–war Barcelona, concerns a young boy, Daniel Sempere. Just after the war, Daniel's father takes him to the secret Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a huge library of old, forgotten titles lovingly preserved by a select few initiates. According to tradition, everyone initiated to this secret place is allowed to take one book from it and must protect it for life. Daniel selects a book called The Shadow of the Wind by Julián Carax. That night he takes the book home and reads it, completely engrossed. Daniel then attempts to look for other books by this unknown author but can find none. All he comes across are stories of a strange man – calling himself Laín Coubert, after a character in the book who happens to be the Devil – who has been seeking out Carax's books for decades, buying them all and burning them.

The novel is actually a story within a story. The boy, Daniel Sempere, in his quest to discover Julian's other works, becomes involved in tracing the entire history of Carax. His friend Fermin Romero de Torres, who was imprisoned and tortured in Montjuic Castle for having been involved in an espionage against the Anarchists during the war – himself being a government intelligence agent – helps Daniel in a number of ways, but their probing into the murky past of a number of people who have either been long dead or long forgotten unleashes the dark forces of the murderous Inspector Fumero.

Thus, unravelling a long story that has been buried within the depths of oblivion, Daniel and Fermin come across a love story, the beautiful, yet doomed love story of Julian and Penelope, both of whom seem to having been missing since 1919 – that is, nearly thirty years earlier. Julian, who was the son of the hatter Antoni Fortuny and his wife Sophie Carax (but preferred to use his mother's last name) and Penelope Aldaya, the only daughter of the extremely rich and wealthy Don Ricardo Aldaya and his beautiful and narcissistic American wife, developed an instant love for each other, carried out a clandestine relationship only through casual furtive glances and faint smiles for around four years, after which they decided to elope to Paris, unaware that the shadows of misfortune had been closing upon them ever since they met.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow! Looks like I have plenty to read with everyone's suggestions which is exactly what I need
Old 09-15-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wheresthefun, hi! On the spirituality thing... I dunno. I just feel like I need it. I haven't gone to any AA meetings and no one has really even suggested it to me other than just reading stuff online. I'm just lacking something that I can't put my finger on and that's my best guess
Old 09-15-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Now if you are asking because you just like fiction , and if you like sci-fi get all the Neal Stephson you can find! Start with Snowcrash or The Diamond Age and if you like philosophy mixed with sci-fi grab Anathem omg good!
You mean Anthem, right. If you get that book, as in understand that book, at a young enough age, you would never drink.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hi leah,
Least's link goes to the recovery and spirituality book thread, but there is also a forum about books (a more general, wider focus) farther down the forum lists. so you have lots to choose from.

way to go on starting your second week, and happy reading.
my first few weeks i immersed myself in reading, both online and everything in the library i could get my hands on about people's different ways of getting and staying sober.
was hugely helpful to me.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leah333 View Post
Wheresthefun, hi! On the spirituality thing... I dunno. I just feel like I need it.
I'm just lacking something that I can't put my finger on and that's my best guess
Ever wondered why the strongest alcoholic beverages are called "Spirits"

Coincidence ??

Hmmmmmm

You feel something's missing in your life, can't quite put your finger on it ....

BUT ... alcohol, when you drank it, seemed to allow you to cope with feelings, emotions & life in general. It made your part of the world an OK place.

In my opinion, you are very much on the right track. Seek some more "spirituality" I say

If you feel it is right for you .... who is anyone to say otherwise !!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Coincidence I think not. Ha! I've never ever thought of that
Old 09-15-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Maybe a movie would be of use.

Star Wars

"Han Solo (Hand Single – Single Handed) represents mankind using only the left, logical, side of the brain. He is also chained to his lower animal nature (Chewbacca, the Wookie). Notice that when Han comes to Luke’s aid, the Wookie is not with him. Han has risen above his animal nature. Chewbacca (Chewing Tobacco) is an apt name for the Wookie, a slave to his physical passions and prone to addictions. Indeed man without spirituality is nothing but a bundle of addictions. Remember how Han warned Threepio not to beat the Wookie at checkers, lest he become violent? The Wookie cannot control his passions."

Echo Station: Esoteric Aspects of Star Wars
Old 09-15-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No dice. I can't do Star Wars lol! I appreciate it from afar and that's it