Notices

Four Days Sober Withdrawls

Old 09-14-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four Days Sober Withdrawls

Hello Everyone!

It's good to be here. I'm not usually much of a joiner (unless it's late at night and I'm drunk and then I never follow up) but some of the posts I was browsing compelled me to respond and join.

In the last decade I haven't been sober for more than 11 days, but usually only for 2 or 3. Today is my fourth day sober and I want to make this time different. That's part of the reason I joined. The other is that I had a major wake up call/scare when I had nothing in my stomach but water and I threw up red - only a little - but I gagged because I was trying to take a shot to ease my hangover. I immediately dumped the half handle I had and have been recovering since.

Aside from not having slept more than a few hours since Thursday I'm feeling pretty good today. I do still have some shakes though so I was browsing the withdrawal symptoms thread and I came to several posts that mentioned hallucinations as a symptom.

I need to mention that I'm housesitting a strange house and there are several things which have had me on edge (aside from withdrawal). For one the windows don't have coverings so that you can see in but not out (not good for anxiety/paranoia) and every time I round a corner my reflection looks like someone outside and scares me to death. Also, the floors are squeaky hardwood so I'll step in some spot and it will sound like a voice or just the sudden noise will make make my heart stop. I haven't been able to understand how noisy this house is. It's actually been kinda spooky.

In addition I now realize I've kind of been seeing images out of the corner of my eye: a dog, a cowboy, a face, etc., which are of course gone when I look up. But I never really knew till I actually looked up. I've literally been looking over my shoulder every couple of minutes.

Now, after reading those posts, it's obvious that my eyes and ears are playing tricks on me and it's such a relief. It's not as though I even recognized what was going on before but now that I do so much makes sense. My anxiety level has dropped dramatically and I might almost enjoy my night.

So hello to everyone and thank you to those who've been through it and took the time to share.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Im sure this time will be diffrent

hang in there
Old 09-14-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Andg, welcome to SR, so glad you found us.

Well done on 4 days, it might be worth a trip to the docs for your concern of withdrawals.

I can't remember having hallucinations but it's different for all of us when we give up booze.

I was craving alcohol all of the time, it's worth having a plan of action what to do when the cravings start. I turned to ice cream.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your approaching or may actually be in "end stage" alcoholism.

I had blood coming out of places too at the end of my first run at 35.

I was scared to walk alone as I was sure people were following me. I was jumpy & nervy as all hell.

I spewed drinks before trying again to get more in.

Just my personal opinion, but I think you might be beyond "cyber" sobriety.

Some face to face would be advisable I think.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses.

Whalebelow2, Can you tell me a little more about how they helped you? Now I'm really scarred. I don't have insurance and have been afraid to see the doctor. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Andg1 - welcome

Detox can be a bit tricky for some of us.

Seeing as you threw up a little blood and are seeing/hearing things, I think it's better to be safe and see a Dr?

At least then you can be sure you're being looked after and you can rest easy knowing there's nothing to worry about?

D
Old 09-15-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well I confess, I wanted to scare you, it sounds like you've scared your self too.

Puking blood will do that ....... if I think about the time it happened to me, I still get a shiver up my spine.

The most likely scenario is that the corrosive nature of alcohol has worn the protective layer off something internally. Might be stomach lining, might be digestive tract. It's hard to say.

Don't panic though. There are stages of "End Stage" too. Like me, you might be in the first stages, it only sounds like it to me, I'm not a Dr, just a guy who had similar symptoms and eventually I tracked down what those symptoms were.

You and I have felt the first nip of the "End Stage" beast, but it is time to pull up NOW, because the final stages get way scarier.

Please PM me for more info on what I found that has arrested my compulsion to drink.

And definitely take Dee's advice & go see your Doctor.

No more corrosive alcohol, no more bleeding was my experience. I hope that turns out to be yours.

Sh*t just got serious mate, but it needn't get any more serious.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 09-15-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think most of us are afraid to see a DR. because we know down deep we have done some damage to ourselves. As Whale said, alcohol can destroy the lining of our digestive track including the esophagus. Stopping now, stops doing more damage.

Well done on 4 days sober especially with the withdrawals you have been having!