Notices

Literally taking it minute by minute

Old 09-14-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I just hate how the voice gets me thinking maybe I'm not reeaaalllllyyy an alcoholic. Surely if I can go 7 days I've got this under control, right? NO! That's not right. I'm an alcoholic hands down. And this is no longer going to own me.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Its a @#$%@#^ lie, don't drink its not going to solve anything. You don't want to have to start again, I can tell. Good luck my friend
Old 09-14-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Definitely!

I went to an AA meeting tonight (as something positive and productive to do) and my AV voice itched in my head - "you were such a good girl for going to that meeting, you should reward yourself with a drink!" - UMMM, WHAT?!?!?! Lol, it's rather hilarious, if you can look at it outside the box.

I'm not drinking, it ruins my life. It's an escape from problems that just inevitably get worse WITH it. Cuss at that voice, yell back. You're not alone in this insanity
Old 09-14-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You guys are awesome. I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's posts!
Old 09-14-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Food helps me too actually...ice cream and of course AA meetings. I heard if you can't attend meetings, you can download them and listen at home. I met one woman, it really helped her. You doing great!
Old 09-14-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Only people with a drink problem have a voice in their head that tells them they don't.

Weigh the historical evidence by writing down a list of times you went for that first drink & ended up having 10 or 12 (or however many it is you personally have)

Then write down the times you genuinely managed "one drink"

If your anything like me, you'll come up with a very very lopsided list.

If there is a few ticks in the one drink column, just remember, your looking for the "over whelming" results.

When the planets aligned & I could muster up all my will power, very occasionally I could manage one drink & go to bed very unsatisfied. That just lit the fuse for an explosion of drinking another night though.

Times I did go to bed after one drink, literally the first thought in my head upon waking would be "DRINK"

(Have you ever watched the TV show Father Ted ? The character Father Jack in that show often comes to and shouts "DRINK" ... that was me, I identify with Father Jack)

By the way, I advise writing, rather than doing it mentally.

Because the voice lives there and you don't want to feed it.

A funny thing also happens when you write stuff down, the brain sees it on paper and goes "OH, well looky here, its written down now, I guess I can shut up about that now"

Good luck with everything
Old 09-15-2014, 01:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hang in there Leah!! Our minds will try to sell every myth and fairytale in the book!!

Don't give in!!
Old 09-15-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Leah, how is your day? I've been adopted by a stray cat (much to to the confusion of my Alaskan malamute). Wishing you well, please check in.

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery
Old 09-15-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Big ole lie. Don't fall for it!
Old 09-15-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Can you call someone just to talk it through? Just hold on through and it will pass. Keep posting on here.

Do whatever it takes - jumping jacks cussing at your own voices sounds reasonable:-)
Old 09-15-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leah333 View Post
You all are rockstars! Thank you for the support. I can say with certainty I will not be drinking anything other than hot tea tonight
That is awesome to hear Leah! You have 24/7 immediate, or near immediate depending on the time, support here at SR! Welcome :-) Stay strong, we all deserve a better life!!
Old 09-15-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It's a lie! Great work on 7 days, keep it going!