Notices

What is more fun now that your sober?

Old 09-14-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I really like being able to deal with the ups and downs in life in an honest way. And I just had a sober girlfriend over. We cut material for some things she wanted to sew. It was just fun.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

DRIVING! Omg. I've always loved driving and it's soooo nice to drive with a clear head - no hangover, wonky-ness, etc. Or not driving at all because I was drunk. I was NEVER on the streets after I took a drink; I got realllly tired of relying on cabs and friends all the time, but was paranoid of driving drunk. It was SUCH a handicap, to be so dependent on others when all I had to do was - not drink!

The other day I was driving home from Barnes & Noble at around 9:30/10pm. It felt so - weird. I hadn't been out and sober AND driving at that hour in months!

So yes. That'd be top on my newbie sobriety list of fun things.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Arterial blood flow south of the border.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sleep!
Old 09-15-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Arterial blood flow south of the border.
Are you . . . a mexican vampire?

oh oh -- I get it
never mind
Old 09-15-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Reading is the big thing for me right now. I used to love reading and still do but I had less time for it when I was drinking... reading in bed before sleep is a much better use of time than passing out.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Going on trips without worrying how to smuggle/consume booze! And, my yoga practice is much more enjoyable.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Basically everything, but what stands out is mornings, meals (actually enjoy the taste of them and less worried about the calories since I don't drink pointless alcoholic calories), sex (and that one surprised me ~ happily), my self respect
Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
I get such a thrill when I realize I am finding delight in simple things... when I am awed by something beautiful in nature or a warm wind on my face...when I share a genuine belly laugh with a friend...when I recognize I am allowing new things to enter my world....or as I enjoy getting closer to another human being naturally..without the forced, false and expedited trickery of alcoholic illusion.

...When I realize I am experiencing life authentically. I'm really, really doing it.
Wonderfully put! I'm just going on my forth week, and I find myself in moments just like this. Captivated by the beauty of a storm rolling in-- something I wouldn't have paid any attention to before.

I also second those who mentioned mornings. Over the last few weeks, I've picked up the habit of waking up an hour earlier than usual to relax and enjoy the morning.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

For me, a breakthrough was when I realized alcohol induced euphoria isn't the same as "fun."

Life is better all around now that I don't drink.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alynn View Post
I'm also enjoying the little things! Beautiful sunsets, the rain, food, not feeling guilty, relationships, rain, music, books, my daughters giggle... Life is good. 2 weeks in today

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Yeah my kids happy faces when I get home... I use to not care to notice and go straight for the booze to numb the day.... its what I think about when I think I need a drink...
Old 09-15-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Waking up with a clear conscience from the night before.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

The very first thing that made mornings better is that I didn't wake up with a sense of dread and shame. Then it was exciting when I realized I could drive to the store after 7pm. I read an article where it said depression can cause a problem with your eyes where you don't see contrast normally and everything looks flat and lifeless. When that finally lifted it was huge for me. The same thing that happened with my eyes must have happened with my other senses because all of a sudden I really enjoyed music and noticed soft touches like breezes.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
The very first thing that made mornings better is that I didn't wake up with a sense of dread and shame. Then it was exciting when I realized I could drive to the store after 7pm. I read an article where it said depression can cause a problem with your eyes where you don't see contrast normally and everything looks flat and lifeless. When that finally lifted it was huge for me. The same thing that happened with my eyes must have happened with my other senses because all of a sudden I really enjoyed music and noticed soft touches like breezes.
I remember I use to LOVE fall and that crisp breeze. And I dont remember enjoying the fall for quite some time. It recently started to get a little cooler recently and I stepped outside two days ago and was like "ahhhhhh- I remember now".
Old 09-15-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Mornings. Remembering what I did last night. My wife's love. Kids laughter. Lost weight. Saving money.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
I remember I use to LOVE fall and that crisp breeze. And I dont remember enjoying the fall for quite some time. It recently started to get a little cooler recently and I stepped outside two days ago and was like "ahhhhhh- I remember now".
That is how it felt to me too. Like I was remembering what was taken from me. I didn't even realized I lost it.