Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

My apology to the Sober Recovery community, the only advice I can offer

Notices

Old 09-13-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something that has been moving me for awhile, I was heady, belligerent, non real and in the very, very beginning, all I wanted was lots of views and responses.

I am sorry, I don't think I am the first that just wanted views or the last, and as a newcomer lots of responses lets you know people care, but often times doesn't necessarily address the issue you have.

I am learning its better to have one response that really means a lot from a caring person to you and really addresses your issues then to have 30 replies that are still caring but not what you're looking for. I am sorry for being a view and response hunter.

Well, so many cautioned me in the beginning to listen and I thought I knew it all, I feel like a teenager again, you know. I saw a bumper sticker once that said "At 18 I knew, I knew everything at 26 I knew I knew nothing" that is how I feel about sobriety. I've found my best results by taking things one day at a time, practicing what I learn here and at AA I attend almost daily, and really living sobriety.

Thanks for reading, again sorry, lets learn together
Old 09-13-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your making strides. As long as yu keep learning its okay to make mistakes. I struggle and make mistakes too. I just try to learn and not repeat the same actions hoping for a different result - that is insanity!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thatdeliveryguy View Post
I am sorry, I don't think I am the first that just wanted views or the last, and as a newcomer lots of responses lets you know people care, but often times doesn't necessarily address the issue you have.
Dear triumphant friend, I feel that loneliness and having no-one in our lives that cares is a big part of this, for many people. I know that is how it was for me. I can say that most people, especially those with sober-time really do care! I know that I will go out of my way and sacrifice time if someone is will to try and if they fail, try again! With each slip, new tools can be found at each crash site. It took many slips and mental paradigm-shifts to be who I am today. I can humbly say that I feel strong and control of my life so far from the lessons that I have learned.

There really is no reason to apologize, unless it makes you feel better, because I feel that a big part of us here is to recognize things in ourselves that we want to improve, then set it as a goal and go for it! We just want you safe, self-sufficient and in a place that you can thrive and possibly help others if you like.

Your honesty though is remarkable!! I think if you continue to be honest with yourself.... not only the comfy truth but the cold truth as-well, then you will continue to evolve yourself and build a good relationship with yourself.

One of the big things that was a game-changer for me in January of this year was that I started a journal from advice on some website about getting over depression. It has helped me so much to write how I felt after drinking and then how I felt when I tried to quit again and described how my days were so much better after not drinking. It helped me build a strong relationship with myself and it turned mental thoughts into physical words that were much easier to organize and understand. I had mental contradictions that I was unaware of!! Sort of like conforming my perspective of reality to fit my decision-making.

Anyway, you are doing good TDK. That honesty and facing it, I feel, may be one of the prominent paths to freedom and happiness .

Much Love TDK!!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Absolutely no need for apologies as far as I'm concerned Jeremy

D
Old 09-13-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't worry, TDG- that's what SR is here for.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

No harm, no foul, Jeremy.

If you ever again feel a need to get views and responses, just start a thread on moderated drinking. For me, and I imagine for most people here, the ultimate oxymoron.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Many of us have been there TDG, you are among friends. hang in there!
Old 09-13-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

All kidding aside, Jeremy, your OP demonstrates both perspective and empathy on your part, which is good to see.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Jeremy (no more tdg i never know what to write as ur name lol)

you inspire me im not just saying that you really do your not only a friend to us on here your a father to your daughter a husband to your wife

and your serious about your sobriety

you havent had it easy and i want you to know if you ever feel a bit weird confused out of sorts just know 'you got a friend in me' (to qoute toy story)

we are always all in this together brother and sister in arms

Disney music - You got a friend in me - Toy story - YouTube

sorry Jeremy i had to
Old 09-14-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done for keeping on and learning.
I found it so hard (find) to listen.
Was always asking a question then talking or thinking over the answer if that makes any sense..
I try these days to accept that i have much to learn.
I don't carry the sum total of ALL wisdom around in this head of mine.
Enjoy your sobriety.
G
Old 09-14-2014, 02:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jeremy...we are all here just bumbling our way. Your candor is admirable. I don't think it's all that unusual that we seek validation here as many of us are essentially trembling larvae unaccustomed to putting anything out there that is genuine and from the heart. It is natural in our newly evolving state to seek well...acceptance.

You are accepted here. You are a big part of this community in my books. I find such comfort in the returning friends that don't leave the roundabout : )
Old 09-14-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Jeremy...we are all here just bumbling our way. Your candor is admirable. I don't think it's all that unusual that we seek validation here as many of us are essentially trembling larvae unaccustomed to putting anything out there that is genuine and from the heart. It is natural in our newly evolving state to seek well...acceptance. You are accepted here. You are a big part of this community in my books. I find such comfort in the returning friends that don't leave the roundabout : )
Exactly this
Old 09-14-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I began drinking at a young age,
I was emotionally immature. When I
stopped drinking at 30, I reverted back
to the age I began drinking. Still emotionally
immature.

At 55 yrs old, with 24 yrs sobriety, Im a
tad mature and wiser than I was back in
the day. However, with a tad of maturity
under my belt, I still feel young and child
like. Full of fun and play skipping along
just like a child.

Now that the poison is out of my system,
I have a chance to grow and enjoy life like
I should have yrs ago before alcohol.

Im not perfect nor wish to be. Just wanna
remain teachable, responsible, caring, humble,
riding free on the road of recovery.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're around here.

I've valued your presence and sharing.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Don't post here to impress anyone, especially yourself. Reflect upon the phrase "to thine own self, be true." Get to a place in your life where that phrase makes sense and actually seems achievable. Be honest. Not just "hey lookie me! I'm honest!" Get butt nekkid honest. Be honest about your motives. Be brutal but be able to accept that level of honesty. Don't seek approval, don't fear disapproval. Just be true and be someone you want to be true to. Apologies will no longer be necessary nor desired.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Jeremy, you are going through a difficult time. You are dealing with so much stimuli, you are doing the best you can. You are handling things very well. I wish I had had your strength.

Keep focused and keep moving forward. You will be successful, in sobriety and life.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Seeking attention and company is much better than hiding when we want to learn and grow together with others, Jeremy. Keep posting whenever you feel like it, that's why this board exists.

I love your sig line from Shawshank Redemption, btw - one of my favorite movies of all times. Friendship never dies
Old 09-14-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
quat

When I read your posts, I thought hmm I like thatguy, I like his attitude and what he says, good for him and good for others to read, so if I can call you Clarence

"I like you , Clarance, (Elvis snarl here hrrmm) always have, always will"
Old 09-14-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You are cared about and respected here - don't apologize for being you. We're glad you're with us.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No need for apologies Jeremy!! You're doing just fine!!