Notices

first aa class. tips?

Old 09-13-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first aa class. tips?

For a long time I've thought "oh I can do it without the program " but alas I slip up after a week or 2... and then it takes something ****** happening or a bad hangover to hop back up on the wagon. I'm so sick of this cycle. I just want so bad to be free of alcohols grip. It passes me off. I feel like the AV rational recovery isn't enough for me, @least in the beginning so I'm going to my first class tonight. I am incredibly nervous, super high anxiety. .. any tips on what to expect or just tips to calm my nerves. Thanks in advance!:
Old 09-13-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just started AA today as well, and I also felt sort of nervous. Basically, it starts off with a speaker who will talk about their experiences. Our speaker was really good and gave a pretty inspirational account of how she triumphed over alcohol.

Then the moderator went around and asked if anyone wanted to celebrate an anniversary or how many days sober they have been.

Then the moderator called on people to share their stories. There were definitely some things I could relate to.

At the end, everybody holds hands and says the serenity prayer.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Each group operates autonomously. They aren't classes, or at least you'll find few people who refer to them that way. If you want a "class," you'll be better off seeking a relapse prevention group through a mental health facility. AA is highly decentralized and focuses on shared experiences through fellowship. It doesn't have a set curriculum and there are no grades graduation. Every group is allowed to do things their way for the most part.

Sounds like the first reply went to a speaker meeting. Not every meeting will be like that. The majority of the meetings I attend are.simply topic meetings where we discuss our experiences and our personal journey in recovery pertaining to a topic that is relevent to someone or is pulled from AA literature. It has been VERY cathartic for me.

You probably will be a bit confused for the first few meetings. Thats okay. There's a reason that people advocate 90 meetings in 90 days. It will give you a good foundation for understanding the basics of the program, and if you don't drink or use between meetings, it will give you a solid physiological change from the effects of substance use.

If I could give you any advice, it would be...

Listen with an open mind.Realize that we've all been there.Leave your expectations at the door (it ain't like the movies).

Find someone to talk to with specific questions after the meeting. The vast majority are more than happy to talk with you and help you any way we can.

Keep in mind, right in the AA preamble, it states that our primary purpose is to stay sober and to help other alcoholics achieve sobriety. If you can go in with an open mind and an open heart, you may find a true path to a healthier and happier life.

Best of luck. Always Believe.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ANewDayNYC View Post
I just started AA today as well, and I also felt sort of nervous. Basically, it starts off with a speaker who will talk about their experiences. Our speaker was really good and gave a pretty inspirational account of how she triumphed over alcohol.

Then the moderator went around and asked if anyone wanted to celebrate an anniversary or how many days sober they have been.

Then the moderator called on people to share their stories. There were definitely some things I could relate to.

At the end, everybody holds hands and says the serenity prayer.
This is called a speaker meeting and is how about 5% of AA meetings work.

There are also discussion meetings (the most common) and book study meetings (my personal favorite). Try more meetings and find a group that you like.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I hope you will share how your first meeting goes. Type something like "My first AA meeting" into the SR search (from the blue bar above) and you will get to read what others thought of their first meeting. When I have done this in the past I have found 80-90% of people had a positive experience .

Here is a link also. Your First AA Meeting<

All the best to you.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hopefully the scariest and weirdest thing that will happen
Is

You'll meet people who haven't drank in years and are genuinely happy about it.

and don't leave your glass of water by any of the "old timers" or you might end up with a set of teeth in it.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job, you 2....you never have to go to your 1st meeting again!