Notices

so, I'm here......

Old 09-13-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

so, I'm here......

I'm 32 and I need to get alcohol out of my life. Up until I was 19 or 20, I rarely drank. When I was old enough to buy it (19), alcohol began to make its way into my life. I am a binge drinker. Like many others, one is never enough for me and when I drink, it is to get as drunk as possible. I don't feel like I'm consciously running from a problem or traumatic event in my life. I think I just do it out of habit. I've tried quitting many times and my resolve is strongest when I am hungover. By the end of a week, I feel like my old self again and the AV starts to work in my head. Before I know it I am hungover again, guilty ashamed and paranoid about what I may have said or done while drunk.
I wish I was the type who can just say no after a couple of drinks. As of this posting, I have been sober 12 hours. I'm fighting the urge to drink again tonight. Thanks for reading.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post dcrr -- you can do this, just one day at a time
Old 09-13-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Same story here! 31, didn't start till 19ish... Didn't drink everyday but when I did I binged.. Shame, gullt, forgive myself... Repeat cycle... Glad your here.. It's been very helpful!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-13-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

im 32 welcome
Old 09-13-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi dcrr, I think we all wanted to be able to drink like normal people but unfortunately can't or we wouldn't be here.

Sometimes the problem can be the drink, just the drink and not being able to stop drinking.

Have a look around and read others posts and hang in there you can make it to a day.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I drank the way you did for twenty years. At the end, I was drinking almost every day despite my best intentions.
I feel for you, my resolve was strongest hungover, too. Despite all the promises and solemn vows, after I felt better it was right back to the bottle. So many, many times.
I wouldn't wish this nightmare on any one.
It took me going to AA and finding people just like me. I didn't know there were.
But, I drank again. It was never the same, tough. I felt guilty. Shame. I knew I had a problem and there was help available but I wasn't using it.

Eventually, the hangovers and withdrawals got so bad I knew I had to quit.
It took me awhile but I never gave up.
After a spiritual awakening I was able to stop.
I keep those old days fresh in my mind to remind me I never want to go back there.
And reading posts like yours help me. Just to know the drinking life hasn't changed.
You can quit. Many of us here have. You admitted you have a problem and have twelve hours sober.
Remember, you never have to drink again. One day, or hour, at a time.
Best to you and stick around here.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome I was a binge drinker and started around the same age - 19 or 20. I drank for about 15 years and finally quit at age 36. I managed to stay sober for a year at age 27. Then for approximately another year and a half total between ages 30 to 35. It took my mother dying from her addiction, and beginning a marriage with my husband to get me to quit. SR has been very helpful

You can do this!
Old 09-13-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you decided to live a sober life.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Youre in good company here. Glad youre making this decision. There are people, myself included that just cant stop once they have a drink. Ive slowly come to accept it. Ive realized that it is a very common occurrence. Abstinence is all that works for me. Everything is great as long as i dont drink. You can do it.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies. It is encouraging to read them and has made me more determined to get through tonight. I'm really glad I found this website.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome dcrr - so glad to have you with us.

I'd give anything to go back to being 32 so I could do what you're doing. I knew I was out of control every time I drank - but I did nothing to help myself. I continued on for 20 more years - my life was a disaster & I was drinking every day. This never needs to happen to you. There is life after alcohol!
Old 09-13-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome dcrr

Feel free to check out our Class of September support thread too:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-3.html

D
Old 09-13-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey DCR, 32 here as well. I also didn't drink until 19 or so. Seems almost kinda late! Anyways, welcome. This site has helped me to stop drinking completely from getting drunk every night. Functioning? I guess. Never missed work but felt like crap all the time. Welcome. Let's enjoy the rest of our 30's feeling good. No more hangovers!
Old 09-13-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 09-13-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery DCR! You will find lots of stories, wisdom, perspectives and support here!!
Old 09-13-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How are you doing tonight DCR?
Old 09-14-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I made it through the night. Went to bed early and woke up feeling amazingly refreshed. Its such a nice feeling too because I am a morning person and love the quiet in the early hours. I've made it to 36 hours now. Only one way to go and that's up! Thanks for your ongoing support.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcrr View Post
I made it through the night. Went to bed early and woke up feeling amazingly refreshed. Its such a nice feeling too because I am a morning person and love the quiet in the early hours. I've made it to 36 hours now. Only one way to go and that's up! Thanks for your ongoing support.
Your right and you can do this. Don't listen to that voice that says "It's not that big of deal" or "I'll just cut back". Keep moving forward! It's worth it. Join our September class !

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-14-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Fantastic!! Keep it going!!