Notices

Thoughts on Thirty

Old 09-13-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thoughts on Thirty

Not going to make some grand speech about getting 30 days. It's still early - I recognize & respect that. I will say though that this attempt at sobriety is unlike any other. It feels good and I feel stronger with each passing day.

One thing that's been a game-changer has been a simple shift in thinking. I no longer cling to abstinence. I'm not trying to cure myself in the hopes of someday returning to drinking in moderation. That ship has sailed and I have bid it bon voyage.

Today I embrace sobriety & the freedom it's bringing to my life. No more hiding. No more feeling like crap physically, mentally & emotionally. No more shame, humiliation or feelings of failure. I am healing myself. By waking up & deciding "just for today I will not drink" I am victorious over this most sinister foe.

The other tool helping tremendously is posting every, single day on the 24-Hour Recovery Connections Thread. Committing to a daily check-in there has been a difference maker. I cannot thank those who run that thread enough. Life-changing stuff going on over there. Please check us out if you're looking for a boost in your program or need a pick-me-up.

I heard the song below on the way to work Thursday morning. Those closest to me know that music feeds my soul & heals my spirit. I am a huge Foo Fighters fan and have heard this song a million times. It has a whole new meaning now. It's my new anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exemQ7l5WX8

"I think I found my place
Can't you feel it growing stronger
Little conquerors"

While today feels amazing, I love what dwtbd told me on Thursday: “as awesome as Saturday will be for you , I wish you an even amazinger Sunday!”

Yes, today is great.

But tomorrow will be amazinger.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for this.

I like what you said as far as daily check ins. I never can seem to keep any goal I set. I want to maybe that's one of the reasons I am newly sober. I am going to do this as well. Thanks again
Old 09-13-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeartsAfire View Post
Not going to make some grand speech about getting 30 days. It's still early - I recognize & respect that. I will say though that this attempt at sobriety is unlike any other. It feels good and I feel stronger with each passing day.

One thing that's been a game-changer has been a simple shift in thinking. I no longer cling to abstinence. I'm not trying to cure myself in the hopes of someday returning to drinking in moderation. That ship has sailed and I have bid it bon voyage.
A Huge Congratulations HeartsAFire! That is a major accomplishment in perspective and time!

This sounds very similar to how I feel this time as-well. I am day 43 today and had never made it past day 30 before. As you, in previous attempts I clung to abstinence but this time I know what will happen if I drink again. I exhausted so many attempts in controlling that in the end it was like a joke, only the negative remained.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Well done on 30 days, HeartsAFire.

Isn't it great, Freedom from lies we tell ourselves and others.

We can tell the truth and the truth will set us free.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Today I embrace sobriety & the freedom it's bringing to my life. No more hiding. No more feeling like crap physically, mentally & emotionally. No more shame, humiliation or feelings of failure. I am healing myself. By waking up & deciding "just for today I will not drink" I am victorious over this most sinister foe.

The other tool helping tremendously is posting every, single day on the 24-Hour Recovery Connections Thread. Committing to a daily check-in there has been a difference maker. I cannot thank those who run that thread enough. Life-changing stuff going on over there. Please check us out if you're looking for a boost in your program or need a pick-me-up.

I heard the song below on the way to work Thursday morning. Those closest to me know that music feeds my soul & heals my spirit. I am a huge Foo Fighters fan and have heard this song a million times. It has a whole new meaning now. It's my new anthem.

"I think I found my place
Can't you feel it growing stronger
Little conquerors"

While today feels amazing, I love what dwtbd told me on Thursday: “as awesome as Saturday will be for you , I wish you an even amazinger Sunday!”

Yes, today is great.

But tomorrow will be amazinger.
Hello heartsafire

big well done on 30 days i myself will be 14 months in 4h23m

i love the foo fighters all my life and the pretender ive been listening to lately

love the albums echos silence patitence and grace and in your honor

well done again so glad whay you said about music i love music
Old 09-13-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Today I embrace sobriety & the freedom it's bringing to my life. No more hiding. No more feeling like crap physically, mentally & emotionally. No more shame, humiliation or feelings of failure. I am healing myself.
Well said.

Congrats on your 30 days, Hearts!!!!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobernfree81 View Post
I like what you said as far as daily check ins. I never can seem to keep any goal I set. I want to maybe that's one of the reasons I am newly sober. I am going to do this as well. Thanks again
That thread is the best kept secret on this board, Sober! I've used it before but never as consistently as this time. I love that there's people over there at every stage in the game. It's so helpful, encouraging & inspirational. It's a must for me - first thing I do when I wake up in the morning. Come check us out!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberComposer View Post
A Huge Congratulations HeartsAFire! That is a major accomplishment in perspective and time!

This sounds very similar to how I feel this time as-well. I am day 43 today and had never made it past day 30 before. As you, in previous attempts I clung to abstinence but this time I know what will happen if I drink again. I exhausted so many attempts in controlling that in the end it was like a joke, only the negative remained.
I think 45 is my previous record (other than pregnancies) but that was just to "see if I can do it" a long time ago for lent. And you can bet on day 46 I was blitzed out of my mind. This is my most successful real attempt to date. Feels good to loosen the grip of abstinence & just surrender, doesn't it?

I always enjoy your posts, Composer. Keep blazing a trail, friend!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you have lots of amazinger days to come Hearts
Congrats

D
Old 09-13-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Well done on 30 days, HeartsAFire.

Isn't it great, Freedom from lies we tell ourselves and others.

We can tell the truth and the truth will set us free.
Amen, Mags. I think the freedom from the lies is one if the most under-rated benefits of sobriety. The lies are as exhausting as the addiction itself. I find myself letting out these long, cleansing sighs throughout the day. I know it's simply the burden of this addiction leaving my body. Sweet relief.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good work hearts! I enjoy the 24 hour club as well. I always check to make sure they put my name on the list of check in's, because I'm a spaz lol
Old 09-13-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post
Well said.

Congrats on your 30 days, Hearts!!!!
Thanks, Viking! Thanks also for your daily foodie notifications on the 24 hr thread. I love it!!

I toasted you with my salted carmel peanuts tonight!
Old 09-14-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Huge congratulations Hearts! I have followed you and thought of you every day, I am so happy to see you reach this milestone. Keep up the good work, I hope to soon be able to make a post like this!
Old 09-14-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A big congrats and thanks for the post!
Old 09-14-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

congrats on 30 days, great post - keep it going
Old 09-14-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Huge congratulations Hearts! I have followed you and thought of you every day, I am so happy to see you reach this milestone. Keep up the good work, I hope to soon be able to make a post like this!
You're gonna get there, friend. As I tell you all the time, you want it too badly to not make it!! Keep clawing & scratching & fighting. Right here beside you!
Old 09-14-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

30 Days is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!