Notices

When did alcohol stop working for you?

Old 09-13-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When did alcohol stop working for you?

I have been reading posts from newcomers, some who are on the fence. For me, I fell off the fence for good when alcohol simply stopped working. And thank god this happened.

What does this mean, "stopped working?" For me, I didn't derive joy from the buzz anymore. Like Fitzgerald said, it also had me, I didn't have it. "First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

I had to have more, sometimes in the morning, to feel okay. I spent my life either drunk, or hung over from a drunk. Boozy nights weren't fun, they were filled with anxiety at the end because I knew what awaited me in the morning.

I passed by a pub on the way to the subway yesterday, and saw people laughing and drinking on a patio. Good for them maybe, to enjoy a drink. Not good for me.

It doesn't work that way for me.

When did the switch flip for you?
Old 09-13-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Wine stopped working for me when I had to start drinking in the morning to stop the shakes. I knew I had a problem but didn't admit it for quite some time. And even after admitting it, it took me a while to actually stop drinking.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Long before I wanted to acknowledge it, I'm sure. I think I knew around late 20's or so. And by early 30's I knew it had to stop. I stopped at age 36, three years after my mom's death. Her addiction related death was the catalyst for me. Marrying my husband was another great incentive. It all came together for me, and I knew it was time to say goodbye to the drinking days.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Really good question and I don't really know. In college I drank as much and often as I could which, thankfully, was not too often since I was underage.
After, I had periods of drinking heavily and periods of not drinking (usually I was out of money or on a diet).
My thirties were pretty bad. All in all, like you said, it just wasn't fun. I am not sure when it stopped being fun. Maybe it never was.
Beth
Old 09-13-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’ve had alcoholic tendencies/characteristics since around 15. Alcohol did what it was supposed to do for a long time but during that period I abused it often. In my last 3-5 years drinking it was almost drinking every day to escape my feelings and the emotional pain I was feeling.

I needed to surrender to win the past 30+ years of serenity that not drinking blessed me.

BE WELL
Old 09-13-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I could have written your post. Drinking took over my life.
All the fun was gone long ago. All that awaited me after a drunk was the fear, anxiety and remorse you mention.
AA flipped the switch for me. I went to meetings, but I drank again. But it was different this time. I felt guilty. I knew there was free and willing help available, but I still didn't get sober.
Finally I admitted I was powerless over alcohol. It had taken over my life. I was either drunk or recovering from one. What a nightmare.
That's what did it for me. I wanted life more than I wanted alcohol. It took spiritual intervention to open my eyes to what I had become.
I stopped. After a hundred slips, this one stuck. By the grace of God.
Now, all I have to do is remember those days and the thought of a drink goes away instantly.
I'm lucky to be alive and I appreciate it by living life to the fullest.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’ve had alcoholic tendencies/characteristics since around 15. Alcohol did what it was supposed to do for a long time but during that period I abused it often. In my last 3-5 years drinking it was almost drinking every day to escape my feelings and the emotional pain I was feeling.

I needed to surrender to win the past 30+ years of serenity that not drinking blessed me.

BE WELL
Old 09-13-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcohol stopped 'working' for me the first time I ever used it.

I was 14. A bunch of us had procured some beer and whiskey.

I woke up the next morning deathly ill. I had gotten into a fist fight. With a girl. I had chewed-up food and spit in my hair. I had vomit in my bed. I had terrified my Mom, who discovered me stumbling around in the basement, sneaking back in.

The cops were called. My Mom had to forego a planned dream vacation. My Dad force-fed me cudighi and seemed to enjoy watching me vomit it back up all day.

From day one, alcohol did not "work for me".

It took me 26 years, two DUIs, many run-ins with police, two marriages, countless horrible hangovers, and god-only-knows how many near-death experiences to ADMIT that alcohol wasn't working for me.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
I "First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."
About age 50. I self medicated with alcohol. Your line above describes my nightly bedtime ritual. So glad to break the cycle!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm a slow learner sometimes. Took me 20 years to get in my thick skull that Alcohol is a poison to the human body and soul.

I finally got tired of depending on it to live my life and to deal with just about every emotions and events one can imagine. These days I enjoy the simplicity of live sober.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I can't pinpoint a date, but during the last year of my drinkning it became a requirement rather than something I "wanted" to do. I somehow made it through the 8 hour workday, but other than that I was drinking beer every other waking moment. I needed to be drunk to fall asleep (see pass out). My heart rate would hover around 100 even at rest until I had a drink. Very little of my drinking was social or casual either, I would literally chug beers in Hiding and hide the empties. So yeah, It was time to quit.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post

When did the switch flip for you?
actually probably in high school
a quart of beer every day after school
sure did away with the thought of doing homework

and the drinking and smoking and dropping colorful things on week ends
made Mondays at school one heck of a mess

I would say that I was well on my way
hard to see straight at night and in a deep fog during the day

MM
Old 09-13-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me, drink started to cause more problems than it solved.
I felt ill and I felt bored of the stupid routine I had fallen into.

I didn't stop straight away, I cut down a lot.

I think it was christmas 2011 when I had this 'light bulb' moment where I was on my own and it was christmas eve and I thought 'if I don't drink as much, I won't feel as bad'.

By bad, I did not just mean physically, but mentally too.
Drink gave me hideous anxiety.

It was that type of simple thinking, nothing more complicated or earth shattering, it suddenly all made sense.

I initially gave up for one month, then here I am 2 years and more later.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alcohol stopped working for me about two years before I stopped for good, that would be a bit over five years ago.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good question - good post.

In hindsight, I can honestly answer alcohol never worked for me. Drunkenness only caused endless humiliation = lying, cheating, stealing ( of other emotional security and things ). I suppose the list goes on ad infinitum.

I thought it worked, but alas it was only my brain telling me that. The recognition that change was needed was the only thing I had left to cling to, took a very looooong time.

But, in a short period I now look forward to everyday and deal with life on life's terms. Very much a work in progress - but loving the journey.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Four years ago...I stopped a year ago. I knew it had stopped working but took me about two years until I figured out what to do with these feelings/information - to get sick of being sick.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Alcohol stopped working or relaxing me after about eight years of nightly drinking, heavy. About 12-14 units a night, 365 days a year. I reached my 'quantity limit' I believe. Not sure if it was my brain or other organ that stopped processing it correctly. I no longer achieved any sort of buzz. It didn't put me to sleep anymore either. I felt my heart rate go up when I started drinking now. Hangovers were daily and became immobilizing. Blood pressure reached 180/something during a dr. visit to get test results.

Throw in really high enzymes found during blood work...... And Voila! Time to stop. Age 32. Day 78 here.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think it stops working when the effect no longer has any effect.

When no matter how much I drink, the old "drink to escape" feelings just don't come anymore.

It no longer treats the internal condition.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When I couldn't even enjoy a glass if wine wither my mother in law without blacking out, yelling at neighbors while on vacation, almost falling over the balcony.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I would count this from the time I started to abuse alcohol for the wrong purpose. That was ~8 years ago. I just can't say a substance we are using excessively, in unhealthy patterns, is working... Why did it take 8 years to be done with it? Exactly because it stopped working and became an addiction.