Notices

I'm so afraid

Old 09-12-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm so afraid

I'm afraid of the withdrawal symptoms. I'm afraid I'll have a seizure. I'm afraid I'll have a heart attack. I'm afraid all the time, and I feel like I'm dying. I need to quit but have no health insurance, so medical supervision is not a possibility. Mostly I am afraid that I will keep doing this over and over again. I've been lurking in the shadows of this forum for days and days and not posted.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't be afraid w8aminute you're here now. You've done it. Are you experiencing any withdrawal symptoms now? Don't do it alone. There's medical help available if you need it
Old 09-12-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's normal to be afraid W8. Living in the atlanta area, you have many options for free or low cost clinics to see, i would recommend doing that if you feel you are in imminent danger of dangerous withdrawals. Check out this link and try calling or visiting one

Find a Clinic |

You could also contact your local AA hotline and they could direct you to help

Alcoholics Anonymous

Quitting is possible....for anyone, you just need to take the first step. Stick around here on SR too, there is a lot of help and support available
Old 09-12-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

maybe speak to a doc or go AnE

welcome good luck
Old 09-12-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A close friend can sure come in handy, one you can say everything to that you said in your original post. Just talking to someone about your fears, can sure settle them.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well you've made a first brave step to recovery.

Share your fears and concerns and somebody will have been there before and advise.

Get some support. Get advice and medical support if available. Then start the journey.

Jason
Old 09-12-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I appreciate the supportive words and thoughts. I just wish I was a stronger person.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A good close friend to talk to sure is a good thing. One that will support and help you. Plenty of support here, but not the same as a close friend there with you.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you here W8. I drank all my life and I'm done. It wasn't worth the misery and anxiety it brought me. You can get free too. We are with you.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If the w/d gets too bad go to the emergency room. You can worry about the bill later. Just get medical help if you need it.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We're here to support you W8aMinute. You can do this!

Welcome
Old 09-12-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can't tell by your post if you've stopped using?

I quit pretty much cold turkey. I was drinking for several years, up to as much as a half bottle of hard alcohol a day. At the end, I cut down to 3 ounces a day for three days. Even that was hard, physically.

Then I just quit. I didn't know I could have issues, so I didn't even think about a doctor's help. It worked out okay. I guess if it hadn't, I might not be posting this, though.

It's much better to stop and deal with it than to keep drinking/using out of fear of the "what ifs." Have someone check in with you for a couple days.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No, I drank all through the night before coming to work. It's pretty ridiculous that I still manage to be functional. Although I will admit to having less than stellar work performance on some days!
Old 09-12-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I felt like that too. I was afraid of ever needing to be in hospital unexpectedly. It is a daunting fear. You have good advice here. Talk to your doctor (I was always too embarrassed to do this) but I did get a friend to watch out for me. I wouldn't even tell my husband of my fears as I knew it would be another " I told you so". Stick to this board.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welp, sounds like today would be as good a day as any to stop, W8 It's not going to get easier, and it may get realllllllly worse without warning.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, we really do understand how hard this is.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Fear of quitting an addictive substance while actively using it is pretty much a universal emotion. I'm confident that almost everyone posting on this discussion forum who is successfully recovering struggled with similar emotions.
When I finally confided in my doctor how afraid I was, he spent time asking me what I was more fearful of: Death, prison, chronic painful health problems or withdrawals?
That was not a difficult question for me to ponder.
What would be your choice on that list?
In the world we live in today, a lack of medical insurance and/or financial resources should not be an excuse. It takes commitment, time and perseverance to find help but it's done every day. The alternatives just don't make any sense.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

You can do this. I think the Salvation Army has programs too, you could reach out to the one local to your area to see if they could recommend a service or assistance at reduced cost. I wish you strength, I know how hard it is and all the fear and anxiety you must be feeling.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome, W8! I hope today will be day 1 of many!
Old 09-12-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi w8aMinute. Give it a go, what you got to lose except a big burden around your shoulders. We are here on hand to help, going through what you're going through, some time or another.
I used to turn up for work hung over thinking I was ok but since I've stopped drinking the fog has lifted, my brain is so much clearer, things are getting into perspective.

If you can get to docs for advice first, all well and good, write down your worries if you're shy or, like me, stumble with your words when faced with what to say.

Take care.