Notices

What if...

Old 09-12-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What if...

That one drink gets you thru the night...
That one drink gets you to tomorrow when you might be better equipped to fight...
I don't know or remember since I have been sober... that when life throws a curve and your skill set for 3/4 of existence has dealt with it via substance abuse...
I just feel "normal" when I drink...
I don't like being awake all night and alone...
No one understands...
I am just wired differently...
I can't stop?
Signed,
What if no one replies...
Old 09-12-2014, 02:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You posted in the wrong forum sober - explains the lack of response

I think recovery is a leap of faith really.

It's putting your faith in the fact that you don;t need a drink to get you through the night or anything else.

And it is a fact - there's hundreds of examples of people here who've proved you don;t need that drink.

We do understand.

I had the sleepless nights and the crushing anxiety.

I only felt normal when I was drunk too. Thats the result of 20 years addiction., Kinda sad really, yeah?

Now I know what real normality is. You can too.
It's on the other side of this....if you give yourself the chance to experience it.

so what if...you don't take that drink?

D
Old 09-12-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been there too. I am not sober yet, but fighting my way there. I now don't drink because I can't cope or need something to get me through, I am finding I am just caving at unpredicted moments. But in the not so distant past I drank for those very reasons, just to get through. I felt-what I thought was- better. But as I have been working towards permanent sobriety I have found my alcohol free days and periods to offer so much more. I cannot tell you how good it feels to not drink. It is totally possible and really enjoyable.
It's not easy, I can attest to that. I could sing the praises of being sober as loud and as enthusiastically as possible because I truly believe it, yet I am struggling to get there myself. You are not alone. There is plenty of support here. Give being sober a try, I think you might like what you find even if there are moments of doubt, fear and pain.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope that the day the booze stops working is not too far away my friend.

So long as you feel there is something, anything left in a bottle... Nothing anyone can say will convince you of stopping.

But the mere fact of being here, posting, vaguely reaching out for a sympathetic ear or possibly help.

I think that means you are starting to suspect the game is coming to an end.

Good luck with it, may your moment of clarity be a good one
Old 09-12-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

What if...there was a better way but you never experienced it because you wouldn't endure the temporary pain of finding it?

You can do this.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sober, I hope you get the strength to get through. I dont know much about all this as I'm new. But i do know it's all or nothing.

You have to set your mind on abstaining and just go for it & ride the storm. depending on your dependence you may need medical support though. They can help you come off safely
Old 09-12-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

This is why i hate Alcohol
Old 09-12-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Everyone here understands. We have all been there. Being sober is not just about not drinking. It's about learning to deal with life's curve balls differently. Re-learning and taking back your life. It is worth it and you have come to the right place for understanding and support.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have found being sober to be so much better. What started as me being the "life of the party" quickly turned into me passing out or embarrassing myself. I was a shell of what I am now.

Funny thing is, after I made a commitment to be sober, I've found that I'm still the life of the party! The only difference is now I can be that with my family and always have a memory of it. It is hard, and I'm only on day 9, but it is a struggle worth fighting for for me.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sober, the reality is that the drink makes coping so much HaRdER! It really does. I am learning that every day now.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post Justin. I agree - I have a much better time socially being sober and I am much more engaging too (if I do say so myself!).