Notices

1 Question about Sobriety, AA, Sponsors and the Steps

Old 09-14-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
SC, you will never be a victim, I have a feeling.
Thanks Freshstart57! I feel good about this but also have to be careful of overconfidence. In the past that was always the prelude to: I just needed a break.. I can drink normally now haha. Or even.. I just need to learn how to drink responsibly. Or.. I'm on this date with a great Woman and she orders wine (afraid that my abstainance makes me look weak). Soo.. I def feel good but know there is still sooo much ahead to possibly challenge my sobriety. Then again, as I enter into life and encounter these challenges I will rely on all of your wisdom and support!!

Everyone of you are simpily amazing!

Have a wonderful day all!
Old 09-14-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whalebelow2 View Post
It is all in the interpretation.

I used to interpret it that way too.

Glass half empty thinking ... tinged with paranoia.

What do these people want ? Why can't they mind their own business? I just want to not drink for Christ's sake !!!! Stay away from me, I'm afraid you'll hurt me. You can't help me, you don't understand me .... I'M DIFFERENT !!!
Not helpful or kind in any way, shape, or form.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by SoberComposer View Post
I feel good about this but also have to be careful of overconfidence. In the past that was always the prelude to: I just needed a break.. I can drink normally now haha. Or even.. I just need to learn how to drink responsibly. Or.. I'm on this date with a great Woman and she orders wine (afraid that my abstinence makes me look weak).
I think you are fully entitled to complete confidence in NOT drinking. Those ideas you expressed to the contrary, 'I need a break' etc, are what can be called your AV, your addictive voice, the part of you that wants to keep drinking.

You are right to feel good about this because you are learning to recognize those thoughts as ones that will take you in the wrong direction. They can't make you do anything, you have the right and the ability to choose your own actions. In those situations, keep at the top of mind your own decision to stop drinking no matter what, and you will find your way forward.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

In AA I've not met any old timers who have not worked the steps. However that would kind of make sense because it is AA and at some point they would have had to pick up the AA Big Book where it states that the way to achieve long term sobriety in AA is to work the steps.

I have met lots of people who have been sober from meetings for a while, usually less than 10 years where they then seem to, from my experience and observations, either work the steps or drink again, i am only referring to AA members here.

I don't know any old timers outside AA (old timer-25 years+) so can't really comment on other recovery methods.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
Not helpful or kind in any way, shape, or form.
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

That was my experience though and that was my old way of thinking when people tried to help me.

I've been encouraged to share my personal experiences here on SR