Notices

Grapes!!! Sorry cripes!!!

Old 09-11-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grapes!!! Sorry cripes!!!

Hello all, I hope this is the right place to make an introduction. I'm from the UK so I hope I can try to make myself understood.

I have been drinking way too much for most of my life, in the last year was diagnosed with a blood disorder that also indicated that my liver function was being effected. It's taken a while, the last 10 days or so have been tough. I did the slow down method, then complete stop. I suffered horrid cramps, couldn't look at food (still struggling) combined with not being to hold down even the tiniest sip of water from both directions.

I have been fully alcohol free now for 3 or so days. I am feeling better, I am tempted, and the weekend will test me, but having got over the first immediate horribleness of withdrawal, and getting better each day I am going to be strong.

So that's just a quicky hello. Hello!!!
Old 09-11-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad you are here! It will get easier!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-11-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 days and welcome This place has been very helpful for me all day. I am on night 1 with some killer anxiety at the moment. I had to force food down today and it wasn't much. I have had 5 months sober before and it does get much better!!
Old 09-11-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR bunch. We read you loud and clear.

You found a great place to share what you're going through - we all understand.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Bunch! This is a great place for support and understanding. I hope you will stick around.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! Stay here through the weekend and beyond. Read a lot and post a lot. It does get better if you stick with it.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Bunch - lots of other people here from the UK too and the rest of us muddle along with English

D
Old 09-12-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 12-03-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I'm not really sure exactly how to start here, as I don't want to come across in the wrong way.

In my first and pretty much only post I was a different person to the one I am today. In so many ways.

And to say reading through these pages helped is one of the biggest down plays of all time, I can't actually begin to say how just knowing that others have felt and dealt with the exact same (but different) problems I had figured into what has happened to me.

When I first posted here I was very unwell, I don't think I grasped the significance of how unwell I was. The doctors had told me 6 months or so before I decided to write the above post that I would be dead within a year. I didn't believe them, I carried on drinking. Don't get me wrong, I could feel the daily effects of alcohol on my system, it wasn't a hangover anymore in the morning... I hadn't had a hangover in years. It was the thought of hangover, the thought of withdrawal, the million pains I felt... scarily looking back, all the pains I didn't feel. I was a husk of a person, surviving, not living... but I was 'happy' I had my routine, I pretended to work... I cracked on, I was entertaining...

But back in September 2014 something clicked... I can't really recall what it was, I wish there was something I could write about here... a feeling I remember... but there wasn't... That night, I on a down drinking period, this was where I didn't have much money, but because I planned for this, I would slowly reduce my alcohol over a period of a few days, so I could manage my natural withdrawal... I had had one or two drinks to keep me topped up during the day (super strength cider) then that evening I was due to go to a friends house, on the way I would buy more alcohol... my card was declined... my friend declined to loan me any money.

I used what change I had to get one single can... knowing full well that this was not planned for, I was pissed off... but for once, perhaps this was the spark... I decided that rather than chase money from somewhere, rather than steal alcohol from someone else... I decided that, that drink was my last.

I was bitter.

This was not planned, this was not how I wanted to do my quitting... but this is the only way. I had no option. So I guess the post a year ago was a few days after quitting.

I've stayed quit. Not a drop, not a sip... but most importantly not the temptation to go back. I have been so lucky in that my dependence was factored mostly around the physical addiction, I was and am happy... but I cracked the cycle.

So... what has one year done... well... I could sit here and list the achievements, which are many, but most are really personal, silly things... tiny things that I didn't grasp were normal things to expect...

But I wish I could really type what I am feeling... in words I have got a life. I have started building and doing things that I missed... I have gained freedom.

I guess one big thing I discovered, which I didn't expect, was that my personality wasn't really hidden or changed through alcohol... I was never a bad person with alcohol, but I did have bad traits... I am better.

This post is really poorly written, it skates around the fact that if I can do it so can you... which isn't what I want to type, because that sort of thing didnt help me... I want to say something to help others, more than that...

I feel like I want to just simply say, if you're drinking to hold back withdrawal then please see a doctor, please do it... you might be one of the super lucky people that can have 2 or 3 weeks of rubbish and then immediatly start to feel better, to start mending, and to start seeing benefits... because well... if I hadn't tried, I wouldn't...

I'm glad I found you guys... be positive, which ever is your personal method, what ever your place, how ever you feel, just believe me when I say absolutely from the bottom of my heart, you will feel better, inside and out during and as you come off alcohol.

And this group here is wonderful... give and take as much as you can. Peace. B
Old 12-03-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for your post Bunch - I really appreciate you sharing your story of success.
Congrats on your sober time

D
Old 12-03-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bunch, what a fantastic post!! I'm so glad you came back and shared that. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi bunch. I'm from the uk, also!

Congratulations on your sober time. When I drank it was such a crutch to me, so used to having a drink in my hand I didn't know what to do sober.

I found this site and its been a lifeline for me, talking to like minded people who understood what I was going through.

I'm pleased you found us!
Old 12-03-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow! There are lots of amazing stories on here. Congrats on doing so well!
Old 12-03-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Bunch. It's wonderful to know you've come so far and are leading a good life now. I feel the same as you - it's wonderful to be free.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you came back to share your good news.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bunch View Post

But I wish I could really type what I am feeling... in words I have got a life. I have started building and doing things that I missed... I have gained freedom.
^^^ This said it all!!!!

Congratulations on your sobriety.

Hope you stick around SR, Bunch.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

bunch, thank you so much for sharing! Loved reading your update. I completely relate, we have our lives and freedom back now...
Old 12-04-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Bunch

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html