Notices

Things can change.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things can change.

Just thinking about how today is different than it would have been 2 months ago. Today my kids have a cross country meet and then we have an open house at the local school.

Two months ago it would have been this. Track meet is at 4:30, so I will have a few beers to take the edge off at about 2, or 1. Go to the meet and fill a cooler in the car so I can go get beer if so inclined. OOPS, they called off the meet because of weather so I guess I should hit the cooler since I have until 7 to sober up for the open house. Drink until I feel good and toasty and then head to the open house. At the open house if I was sober enough to speak without slurring, I would tell the teachers how much I liked them, and then make sure my kids are doing well in the advanced classes and then again tell them how I was on their side and it will be a good year. Of course, they would not know I was three sheets to the wind, because I am an "experienced/sneaky" drinker. No possible way could they smell the 8 to 13 beers on my breath. After the open house I would sit in my office and drink until the urge left. Sleep like hell, beat myself up all night and then in the morning tell myself I need to stop drinking.

Today: Got a lot of work done around the house, went to the meet, it was cancelled so I went home and made an awesome pork stew since it is so cold outside. Went to the open house, spoke intelligibly to the teachers, asked how my kids were doing and asked if they needed anything from my end. Left the meeting feeling good, came home and got on SR. Now I will go watch a movie, go to bed and wake up feeling like a million bucks!! I guess how it changes is this time the teachers did not smell any beer, and I was not overly happy, because I was sober. I will sleep well tonight and wake up with a purpose and a plan.

Things can change, and often for the better.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

It's amazing how "things can change." The trick is to keep things changing for the better. When challenges to sobriety appear, don't over react. Things can and will change. Stay cool.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's so great!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-11-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by Resolv View Post
When challenges to sobriety appear, don't over react. Things can and will change. Stay cool.
Pretty weird... maybe it's me... but third thread I've looked at and third time the same word seems appropriate: Serenity.