Notices

Think school was a mistake

Old 09-11-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Think school was a mistake

I say that because of recent events, weather transportation or lack there of when it is cold and raining. A friend said she would give me a lift, as she passes right by my place, but Ive yet to be able to catch a ride from her since the beginning of the week.

I have an application in to help with funding but waiting for an appointment, I am trying to stay upbeat but with the weather changing the waiting is driving me nuts and classes are missed because of rain. I want to stay at the school I'm going to but the place that can help with funding wont pay for the school I am attending which has made accommodations for my disability and has a dorm waiting which helps me get to and from classes when the weather is bad. The other ( as far as I know has none of those things. cant things be nice and neatly wrapped the way I need them? ( if you laughed I'm glad I could make you laugh, laughter's the best medicine).

Now its a silly waiting game, cross your fingers things work out soon, frustration is not my best friend.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hope your transportation issues get worked out!

Perhaps the teachers can accommodate you and give you stuff to do at home. Your disability would justify it I would hope.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe your preferred school has a disability officer LeaRachel? Have you talked to them?

D
Old 09-11-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ThePatman, one of the teachers has sent me work to do at home- its the math teacher, who is also doing independent study with me to help get me caught up, she sent me work yesterday to do today because they were doing something and classes were cancelled. But the other will only do that if its documented and recorded - which i dont blame her, and winter isnt even here yet....

Hopefully next week I'll know more I hope.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry things are stuck at the moment and I hope you can find a solution to the transportation problems.

Hang in there!
Old 09-11-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dee there isnt one specifically for that .... they are all doing other things, and this is a private religious school thats really not on their radar... But there are others there working to help with programs and such,, its just a waiting game, but if iI have to wait too much longer , i'll have missed the three absence policy rue. Really think I should have waited, but thought I'd get back into the dorm.

Thanks Anna
Old 09-11-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I find it really odd they haven't got one...it's mandatory in my country, private school or not.

I hope you can sort something out LR

D
Old 09-11-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dee, I was there last year and did a report on the disability issues regarding the dorms and how they are not disable accessible in the dorm I stayed in. I was told that because they are a religious institution they are exempt from the ADA code? Or something silly like that. Yet when they broke ground on rebuilding something. Well they built an event center. Yet the dorm was not touched because they had not found a bid low enough. I find that appalling. If they did any remodeling and redoing something it was to their discretion.

I have been debating to try and change something because I am a student and need the accommodations, but I dont want to cause waves, so trying to figure out how to do it skillfully and be able to still attend.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LeaRachel
I say that because of recent events, weather transportation or lack there of when it is cold and raining. A friend said she would give me a lift, as she passes right by my place, but Ive yet to be able to catch a ride from her since the beginning of the week.

I have an application in to help with funding but waiting for an appointment, I am trying to stay upbeat but with the weather changing the waiting is driving me nuts and classes are missed because of rain. I want to stay at the school I'm going to but the place that can help with funding wont pay for the school I am attending which has made accommodations for my disability and has a dorm waiting which helps me get to and from classes when the weather is bad. The other ( as far as I know has none of those things. cant things be nice and neatly wrapped the way I need them? ( if you laughed I'm glad I could make you laugh, laughter's the best medicine).

Now its a silly waiting game, cross your fingers things work out soon, frustration is not my best friend.
What is your budget for a car? On craigslist you can usually pick up a used car for $2,000 - $5,000.

In my experience it really sucks NOT having a car....... it's just no fun, plus it just plain sucks having to "depend" on other people - as most people are notoriously un-reliable, flakey, and/or will forget about you. There's nothing quite like being able to go somewhere whenever you want on a whim, stay there as long as you want, and then leave when you want. Being able to hit XYZ drive-thru is always nice too Having owned a number of vehicles since 18-ish i will say it is "worth it" all things considered. Expensive? yes, but it's hard to put a price on that convenience and peace of mind....... that's my take on it anyways. As an added bonus, you can even use your car as a temporary shelter/place to sleep in the event of an emergency.

Speaking of mistakes, what are you studying? Whatever it is i hope it has some real-world use, this terrible economy seems to be especially unforgiving on useless-degree holders - let alone useful-degree holders with no experience.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Grubby, a car would be nice but I only get paid once a month and under $1000 at that. Not to mention I do not drive because of my disability, If we had a car my husband could drive me. But with money we can't afford anything more expensive then a bike built for two, and they arent weather proof.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I'm not up on the rules in other countries LeaRachel...they may be within their rights about access and that.

I do think you deserve some consideration on absences tho. Is there a guidance counsellor or anything like that to talk to?

D
Old 09-11-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think so too Dee, would you send them a letter sayin I should get some consideration. (lol). I have talked with an academic adviser and if something is written up by admin and advisers and teachers things may change. I dont want "special treatment" but want a fair shot at letting the education. May talk to my adviser if the weather isnt raining tomorrow- were supposed to have a 50% chance of rain, from 7 am -3. the time I will be on the road to and from. So will just have to wait til Morning and see. One teachers on board- the other said she would if she was covered and wouldnt break rules of school.