Notices

Feel like I'm at a crossroad...

Old 09-11-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feel like I'm at a crossroad...

Still very early in this attempt at sobriety...15 days in.

I'm feeling like I'm at a crossroads in my life...like a change would assist my recovery...I've been looking into going back to school for video game design which could start in January of the next year.

Of course that would mean giving up my job of 10 years...but in my heart I feel like I'm going through the motions there...

But of course giving that up means loss of employment...and financial security..I've thought about asking if they'd be willing to scale me back to part time...but it will be tough no matter what I decide.

Just wanted to get my thoughts off my chest...no thoughts of drinking over this..but I've got the itch for a change...

Thanks for reading...and have a safe and sober day friends.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Get a job at Bethesda, and help them finish Fallout 4!!! :-)

Old 09-11-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Now THAT would be fun! I played fallout 3 god only knows how many hours...I played for 16 hours straight once...had to stop because my eyes couldn't take it anymore.

Mind you I don't play like THAT anymore...
Old 09-11-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Molotov Kitty!

Any way to explore the video game design without quitting?

Great job on 15 days, keep it up!

“Man is not worried by real problems so much as by his imagined anxieties about real problems”
― Epictetus
Old 09-11-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

think it over see if they will agree to your idea

really amazing post btw
Old 09-11-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on 15 Days!! Keep it going!!
Old 09-11-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know absolutely nothing about video games- nor the design that goes into them- but that does sound like an interesting move. Is there an application deadline for the school? Or maybe you could go ahead and apply and then wait to see if you get accepted, giving yourself a little more time sober and a little more time to think things through. Best of luck whatever you decide and congratulations on 15 days, that is a real accomplishment
Old 09-11-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

15 days is great
Old 09-11-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

15 days is great but maybe you could take a little more time to make the decision.

Ideally, working part-time would be great. It would be some income and also a backup plan. I do hope you follow your dream!
Old 09-11-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The advice I always give someone in very early recovery like you are is to avoid making any important life decisions until later. Maybe 6 months or more.
Changing jobs, moving, divorce or marriage, etc. are decisions best left to a time when the effects of your substance abuse are more firmly under control.
It's an understandable impulse to make life decisions now that sobriety is underway. But, google the term "pink cloud" for just one of the reasons it's not a good idea.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks as always SR community. Your responses are valued.

I'm going to keep my recovery as the number one priority. But dreams are important as well. I feel like I've spent plenty of time in the dark these past years.

My sincere thanks to all who responded.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Anna - give this decision a little more thought

I was a million different people in my first 90 days...after that, I settled down and I had a fairly good idea of who sober me was and what I wanted.

No need to rush things, right?

D
Old 09-11-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks D. The class I've targeted would start in the beginning of next January. Which would give me some solid sober time to adjust to the new me.

Maybe it's just the coming autumn air...but I can sense the winds of change coming...I have the sincere hope they will be for the better.

Thanks again my SR friends. Stay safe and sober.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As a specific example of the downside risks of decisions made in early sobriety, I am familiar with more than a few recovering addicts who formed romantic attachments with others during detox/in-patient treatment. It happens more often than most people might realize despite repeated advice against it.
Those couples I know who then attempted to continue the relationship afterwards did not fare well at all with either the relationship or, more importantly, their successful recovery.
Staying on a straight path early on can be difficult enough without any unnecessary complications.