SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Quitting my job for the sake of my recovery. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/344712-quitting-my-job-sake-my-recovery.html)

Thomasthetank 09-11-2014 05:34 AM

Quitting my job for the sake of my recovery.

So I've decided to take a pretty big step.

See, at the moment I manage an office. I'm not going to tell you what we do because it's pretty specific and would undermine my anonymity to an extent. But, I hate it. I hate it with every fiber of my being. I spent years working my way up to a job I knew deep down I didn't want, I think because I was scared of being poor again.

But the other day I realised if I keep working here I will start drinking again. It makes me depressed and although I've managed so far, plenty of days I've come home wanting to drink. I can only last so long like this.

Luckily I work part time at a gym and have savings to tide my over while I find other work, and where I work said they will be for courses so I can teach a few classes.

I would like to thank sober recovery because it was a thread on careers where I gave some advice on choosing lifestyle over money that I realised that I was ruining my life for money.

I can earn enough just fine in a job I enjoy, not as much, but whatever, I'm a simple guy, I like books, records and coffee. What am I gonna do with it all, buy a bunch of first editions then never read them?

I'm handing in my notice today, I'm excited just thinking about it.

LBrain 09-11-2014 05:42 AM

Bold, committed, informed, brave, confident, decisive, sober

good luck

JasonNorth 09-11-2014 05:42 AM

Good for you. Well done.

Beat of luck with it all.

Jason

biminiblue 09-11-2014 05:45 AM

Excellent. I did the same several years ago. You won't be sorry :)

Nowsthetime 09-11-2014 05:45 AM

I agree with Mr. Brain!!! You gotta do what you gotta do! I'm so glad that you took your own advice. Many of us don't. You can do this!!!

LadyinBC 09-11-2014 05:45 AM

I also gave up a higher paying job because I hated it and I was worried that I would use it as an excuse to drink again.

I have never regretted my decision. I try to keep my life as simple as possible. Life it just too darn short to be stressed out over a job.

Jupiters 09-11-2014 05:50 AM

good for you!
I hope the resignation goes smoothly and you are then able to focus on you and be happy. :)

Thomasthetank 09-11-2014 05:57 AM

Well, that went faster than expected. I got a phonecall from my boss to ask me to come in early, and I thought .. might as well.

So I told him and he told me that I would never work in this industry again and not to bother coming to work. I told him that sounds brilliant and not to worry as I never have any intention to work in this industry again.

I think I'll have a cuppa.

trachemys 09-11-2014 06:01 AM

In my wilder days, I would have gone in just to spite him and call him what he is. Those days often involved the police.

Good for you in your control and dedication to a better life.

LBrain 09-11-2014 06:05 AM

I spoke with a friend last night. I did not go on the annual camping trip in February. Was just catching up and filling him in on my life and what's been happening. There seems to be a consensus among my people that by losing my job - I didn't make the decision to quit - I added twenty years to my life.

No salary or income can replace peace of mind and tranquility.

I just read your recent post triple t. I spoke to my ex-manager yesterday who offered to be a reference for me for future job search. He asked if was going to work in the "industry" again. I said I have no desire to work in that field again. He said, good call.

Thomasthetank 09-11-2014 06:06 AM

Hahaha =') I just got another phonecall from his assistant saying although I would never work in that industry again I will have to work these next two weeks as they have no one to cover me and he didn't really think that through.

This couldn't have gone better.

trachemys 09-11-2014 06:11 AM

hahahahahahaha!

Fly N Buy 09-11-2014 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank (Post 4892422)
Well, that went faster than expected. I got a phonecall from my boss to ask me to come in early, and I thought .. might as well.

So I told him and he told me that I would never work in this industry again and not to bother coming to work. I told him that sounds brilliant and not to worry as I never have any intention to work in this industry again.

I think I'll have a cuppa.

Good for you!
LBrain recapped nicely and quickly, affirmatively, soundly, wonderfully!

Don't ya love it when employers act that way! The Boss is freaking out because he's got to replace the one person who would do the work he didn't/couldn't want to do! You'll never work in this industry again......

This dude sounds like you are a movie actor and he is Steven Spielberg - don't walk off my set!!

peace to you my friend - good decision.

biminiblue 09-11-2014 06:13 AM

:lol: So, are you going to take a shower now, or stay in your jammies?

So funny.

Fly N Buy 09-11-2014 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank (Post 4892448)
Hahaha =') I just got another phonecall from his assistant saying although I would never work in that industry again I will have to work these next two weeks as they have no one to cover me and he didn't really think that through.

This couldn't have gone better.

NO - he told you not to come in!
haaaaaa!

Sorry, already have another job from a competitor that called.....

Thomasthetank 09-11-2014 06:21 AM

I honestly think I'll look back at this day as a turning point. Thank you to everybody here for giving me the strength to make this decision.

MidnightBlue 09-11-2014 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank (Post 4892378)
So I've decided to take a pretty big step.

I hate it. I hate it with every fiber of my being. I spent years working my way up to a job I knew deep down I didn't want, I think because I was scared of being poor again.

Thomas, that's exactly how I felt about my job. I think if I didn't quit it I would hardly be on my recovery journey now.

You sound like you have it well-thought, and prepared for this.

Sobriety will pay off big time.

Best wishes to you!

JasonNorth 09-11-2014 06:56 AM

What gym classes do you teach? Just out of interest. I like spinning & thinking of signing up for that Insanity thingy.

KateL 09-11-2014 06:59 AM

Ha ha brilliant!!

PurpleKnight 09-11-2014 07:39 AM

Hope it all works out Thomas!! :)