Notices

Quitting my job for the sake of my recovery.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

hope you find something better
Old 09-11-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I hope you're enjoying your cuppa!
Old 09-11-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post

So I told him and he told me that I would never work in this industry again and not to bother coming to work. I told him that sounds brilliant and not to worry as I never have any intention to work in this industry again.
Lol...

Sounds like you made a brilliant, excellent decision, mate. If THAT was their response, you were DEAD ON to leave such a toxic place.

Good for you!!

Old 09-11-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

thumbs up woot woot there is so much to do out there Short Film Festivals are popping up all over the States.. volunteer for awhile your city fairgrounds Blues Fests check it out... I worked in Stocks and Bonds back in the 1990's for 5 years... kept getting sick strange how it would work.. and so tried I could not walk out to my car on my own.. came back one day in June 1995 after the Indy 500, looked around at all the staff and wrote my letter of leaving.. copied signed took the orginals around to management at 8:30am that Monday morning hugged each one laid the letter down and walked out the door never looked back .. in 48 hours I had a huge lump on my left breast... under my hubbies health care Blue Cross Blue Shield by that Dec my Mom was with us for 3 months.. never would have been able to live thro that if I had stayed on my job... buried 3 ladies in 2 years that died of Breast Cancer that I worked with.. in 2009 Maria Zerdo died at her desk ... breast cancer, felt that there was no one that could do her job as well as she could, took her body out.. I held Susie the old Sup tight in the lobby as she sobbed Why did you make it Ardy.. because Babe its my Life and I will walk a brighter path.. we watched as they took the body out of the building.. everyone rushing by.. a temp was called in 3 days later..

Kiddo you Stand Tall Hold the High Ground and get out there and have a Life a Good Life with laughter and sunshine and joy and do so much more.. love a Lady Clown.. ardy
Old 09-11-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great stuff THomas!
Old 09-11-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good Luck! Sounds like a positive change
Old 09-11-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Admirable and gutsy move

I did something similar back in 2009. The looks on their faces when I told them about my intent to resign during my six month review... priceless. Jaws dropped! Lol.

Well done, you! Sometimes we have to take care of ourselves and our health, and that comes before any job or career. I am not sure I'd be sober today if I'd stayed with that company.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Awesomeness !!! This could actually be an opportunity for some fun negotiations. If he wants you to work out your last two weeks you should ask for a letter of reference/recommendation from him which places you in the highest regards. Also, you want your own corner office, secretary, lunch served and individual bowls of M&M candies on your desk separated by colors.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm thinking about taking this step... I live in tennessee but work in Texas. I don't have too hard a time staying sober with my wife and daughters around but recently my job has had me living in hotels and only getting home every other weekend. There's just so much time to let my guard down. ��
Old 09-11-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

This was fun to read today, Thomas!

Revolution!!!

Old 09-11-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Great story, I'm sure you'll find something that is satisfying.

I was fired from a stressful high salary job a few weeks ago. I could handle the stress when I drank, but evidently not so well sober. I more or less started isolating myself from tasks and people that were unpleasant... I guess they noticed. I felt more like the guy from Office Space than the super aggressive go getter I used to be. I concluded that without getting smashed every weekend I just can't be that guy. Still not exactly sure what I'm going to do, but it does not include a micro manager boss or the kind of pressure I was under before. Like you, I have re-examined the value of income vs happiness. I'm going to do something purposeful that I am happy to do most days. I can afford to make less, I can't afford what the stress will do to me.