Notices

Sober birthdays

Old 09-11-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober birthdays

As I struggle through the initial phases of sobriety this time around, coincidentally it's going on with my birthday fast approaching. I don't want to make this valuable life change wait until after my birthday and celebrate it with alcohol involved. Did any of you go through the same thing? How did you deal with your first birthday during sobriety? What did you do as opposed to drinking which is what you probably would do during your drinking days? Did you avoid all of the old friends during this time? Thanks for your help in advance, fellow sober friends.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I quit in April and my birthday was July...all my social circle at that time were drinkers, so I just spent the day doing things I wanted to do.

It was great. One of the best birthdays ever

Think about life affirming ways to mark the day and celebrate. Start some new traditions

D
Old 09-11-2014, 01:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wink

i got sober in January, my birthday is in march.. i was still coming out of the "Fog" back then.. it's like the old joke we talk about in AA (not really a joke) the only thing you need to change to get/stay sober is everything!
Old 09-11-2014, 01:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, SHH)

I quit in October, and my birthday was in May.

It wasn't hard to stay away from alcohol because I develop some new "sobriety" outlook by the time.

And spent my BDay just as Dee said - doing things I wanted to do, not being presses with "shoulds" and so on.

It can be quit an exciting challenge - to make a Birthday really special. Not just repeating the same routine year after year. Make a list of things you've always wanted to do but been postponing and procrastinating for some reason. Choose one you can do now - arrange something you've never done.

I spent two sober Birthdays by now, and it's just getting better.

Best wishes to you.