Notices

I just knew that AA was up to something...

Old 09-12-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I am a little gobsmacked at how..well, in my youth picking up the drink made me feel some sort of ability to get closer to others...to find fellowship...community.

My messages of late (well for the last year and a half really) continue to show me that everything..and I mean everything..is in "connection" with others..
being with..and there..for others. Community.

YET booze allowed basically allowed a "wall" between. It was a ruse...a lie.

Drinking and "being merry" eventually became me...alone.
It always was though. I was alone when I was drinking...no matter who or where I was with. It was about me..for me...in me. Me me me me me...

Not sure if I'm making sense here..

(Thanks JD..no not condescending..just...nice : )
Old 09-12-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Your making perfect sense Nuudawn.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I think the "small community" thing also happens here on SR... people who tend to relate to each-others problems, thinking style, personality, and/or are drawn to each-other based on shared interests in terms of recovery or otherwise.

I never ended up getting involved in AA much, but probably I would have used a similar approach eventually. I think it's a bit of a personality feature, some people are happiest with a large and extensive social circle, others prefer 1:1 or smaller groups and getting to know some people deeply.

I'm really glad to see things are going so well for you, Nuu!
Old 09-12-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
I think the "small community" thing also happens here on SR... people who tend to relate to each-others problems, thinking style, personality, and/or are drawn to each-other based on shared interests in terms of recovery or otherwise.
Absolutely!!! I guess I'm just a "recovery glutton" right now...but only in ways. My life was so "undeveloped"..I was one who in need of "out and about 3D support" as well.

In all honesty, right now I am fighting to maintain balance between SR, my AA homegroup and well...the rest of my life. I need to keep it all..balanced you know?

That's huge for me. And well, I never want to be anyone who pushes anything on anyone not in need...or desire.

There are folks in the AA program who do believe AA is the only way and I do believe they do it a disservice by doing so.

"Attraction ..not promotion"..as they say. Evangelism, IMO, whether that be AA or religion often pushes more away than it attracts. I know it did me...
Old 09-12-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
In all honesty, right now I am fighting to maintain balance between SR, my AA homegroup and well...the rest of my life. I need to keep it all..balanced you know?

That's huge for me. And well, I never want to be anyone who pushes anything on anyone not in need...or desire.

There are folks in the AA program who do believe AA is the only way and I do believe they do it a disservice by doing so.

"Attraction ..not promotion"..as they say. Evangelism, IMO, whether that be AA or religion often pushes more away than it attracts. I know it did me...
Great thread Nuudawn!
Old 09-12-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
I think most of us in early recovery struggle with this and we figure it out on the go. I personally did not get into AA much only because I found all the new experiences, perspectives and activities after getting sober a bit overwhelming and I chose therapy instead (which is not focused on my addiction problem much, only as far as it now still affects other areas I want to work on). But I go back and forth and sometimes in circles trying to find the most healthy and satisfying balance between SR (and how to use it best), my often stressful and demanding job that I love, and the rest of my 3D life. It all has definitely improved but I certainly fluctuate between wanting to do too many things and withdrawing (from activities not from booze thank God!). Also between extroversion and my introverted ways - I am definitely much more social sober but far less compared with many other people around me. So it's a challenge to find more optimal balance not only between different recovery aids and other activities, but also between the activities/involvement and my needs. Discovering needs I have been suppressing for so long!

Yeah there are definitely extremists in AA and everywhere and it is unfortunate but I guess it's just human nature, let alone addict / obsessive-compulsive mentality. Glad you've found a group that suits you!
Old 09-13-2014, 02:30 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I think there is a place for the more militant AA groups.

Personally, it's been really good for me, to have a more take charge home group and sponsor.

If you have ever watched a show like "the biggest loser" & most of them whine and cry and chuck a few tantrums, some walk off the set..... But by the end of the show they are up and running under their own power & so glad the trainer kept pushing and didn't let them quit because they can see they would still be miserable and overweight if the trainer had let them just do the bare minimum or quit.

That's like me in AA, left to my own devices, in an "Anything goes" AA group, I'll whine and grizzle and basically self sabotage.

It's not a character trait I'm proud of, being lazy, but at least I acknowledge it now and I'm no longer too embarrassed to ask for help when I genuinely need it.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by whalebelow2 View Post
From the Bible

Hebrews 10:24-25
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
Seems they were into "meetings" and helping each other long before any of us came along.

Silly old God botherers eh?

I do not believe there is an original thought or practice in AA. I do believe that AA was divinely inspired through Bill and Bob
Old 09-13-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Agreed.

It's a fantastic book for those of us that need the spiritual path.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jsm273 View Post
Your making perfect sense Nuudawn.
I completely agree. You are fortunate indeed. Some folks never arrive at where you are right now. You are on an upward path towards happiness and sunshine.

W.