Notices

I just knew that AA was up to something...

Old 09-10-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Anyhoo...we are in the process of getting to know one another. And again, part of this relationship is "staying connected"...

So!
It dawns on me...if I were to decide to go back drinking, geezus...THESE PEOPLE would know.
It can be terribly inconvenient to have people in your life who care enough to call BS when it needs to be said out loud. And I agree with your sentiment about AA not needing to be a 24/7 thing. The hours I spend in meetings make it possible to live the rest of my life happy, joyous, and free.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Funny how some old timers just have an aura about them.

Just being around them, you can feel your shoulders drop and tension release from your body.

Amazing!!

Go "Sober Dad"
Old 09-10-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
This thread makes me want to use a word I've never used in a sentence, 'legerdemain', and another word I've used maybe three times in my life, 'skullduggery'. After all, what kind of a person would deny him- or her- self a bit of frivolous hocus pocus'?
Legerdemain

Skullduggery

Had to look 'em up EG. You have increased my vocabulary. Words...how I love them.

Sigh...and now I love you more.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
EndGame

Legerdemain

Skullduggery

Had to look 'em up EG. You have increased my vocabulary. Words...how I love them.

Sigh...and now I love you more.
What's not to love?
Old 09-10-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
pray for strength

WOW!! Great news, Nuu!

Yet another reason to be a sober SRer for these past months. Meet NuuDawn AND partake in this happy life development.

Thanks for the past midnight smiles

Old 09-11-2014, 02:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sounds very positive!!
Old 09-11-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ed Zackley!! Actually someone pm'ed after I posted to ask if I wasn't bothered by the "monitoring" aspect as these folks were "without credentials" as they said... Apologies, for bringing it up here (friend who privately mailed) but I think you raised a valid concern.

I too once really "shook my head" a bit about the whole sponsor/sponsee relationship...but well, as far as my sponsor seems so far. She is no sort of dictator and does not strike me as the sort who "gets off" by being the boss of someone (I do think that exists...as we addicts tend to have some control issues). So far...she just strikes me as a concerned friend who has lived a decade sober and knows far more about the "program" than I do.

I have been studying "addiction" for a few years now. It's like a hobby and it is very pertinent to my business of weight loss. What I learned in my years working for corporate weight loss ...well, ya know what works?

Support, accountability and coaching... someone in your corner who has walked the walk...

My participation in AA is very concentrated..and well, quite limited to the folks in my "homegroup"... I committed to one meeting..once a week.

And ya know what happened? Instead of hitting meeting after meeting..going round and round looking for a homegroup...looking for a sponsor...trying to figure it all out...going round and round and round as I did back in 2006/2007...never getting close to anyone.

I picked one meeting.
I picked one group.
One funky little group who didn't seem like the others...at all.

And geepers, didn't my choice to go "small"...result in...."community".

And I had an "aha" moment.

People can heal in the caring community of others who understand.
I like it small and funky and a bit odd.. a band of lovely misfits. I am the newcomer at not even 3 months continuous sobriety. Some fellow who "transferred" to our group just recently..to make it like a total of hmmm.. 7 people maybe...celebrated 30 years last night. He was an eloquent speaker. Something about that man makes me feel safe... he's like some sort of "recovery dad". It's awesome. He is not pushy or overbearing..he is just a lovely soul.

Last night our little meeting was full to bursting as folks were there who need the guy celebrating 30 years. It was really odd...as we are largely..unpopular. But someone came up to me who had noticed me at various meetings before I met my homegroup..just to say "hey..didn't think you were around..I never see you!". I had to tell him..well, that's cuz I only come here. I was braced for a wagging finger telling me I needed to him more meetings..but there wasn't one. Turns out he was the sponsee of the fellow celebrating 30 years...

Anyhoo...I certainly realize AA is not for everyone. It wasn't for me...and then I changed my mind.

It is NOT the only way.
Right now..it's working for me... in a tiny little community way.

Sorry for the long post...I just wanted to share something I have found surprising.

AA is not my whole life..and I hope it never will be. But I sure like what I have so far.
what you have to come to see nu is that many of us come into aa at different levels we dont all come in with a home and job and our lives still intact etc
the booze robs many of us of these things as we simpley can not get off the drink
all we did all day was drink and hunt for money for more drink
so while 1 meeting a week might do for someone who is only mildly afflicted it would do no good for someone who is a 24 / 7 drinker who has no money and no where else to go

so for me i had to do day and night meetings just to get with people and accept there help, to get out of my flat and out of the isolation etc, i was to far gone to go out shopping or out for a hair do or out to meet people my life was over so there was nothing else left to do but to start learning how to live again
if i still had my job and my home etc i dare say i wouldnt of needed as much help as i did need by the aa memebers

for anyone who fails to understand what i mean its simple
carry on drinking till have have nothing left not even a computer for on line help to turn to
then figure out were your going to find help ?

there are so many way people can find help these days and more to the point they can try to stop themselves from losing it all like i did so its a good thing that people can stop a hell of a the way up the ladder

but please remember some people dont or wont take any help at all untill they end up with nothing

you dont see many tramps sitting around in aa rooms only plenty of people who quit in time before they ended up a tramp
Old 09-11-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It dawns on me...if I were to decide to go back drinking, geezus...THESE PEOPLE would know. I'd have to slink away and perhaps have to deak away from them in grocery stores and malls...
This thread reminds me of a time in which I had almost three years sober. Yes I went back out with the old liquid devil. Sure enough soon into my drinking adventure I was at a liquor store buying an 18 pack of beer. A sweet married couple that I knew from AA had come in to buy a pack of cigarettes.
They said hi to me but I could not help but notice the sad look in their eyes as they looked at the 18 pack. It was if they were thinking -- poor guy he's back on the road that only leads down to the pits. Why would they think this ? They had heard me share often in AA.

MM
Old 09-11-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

One alcoholic talking to another. Dr Bob said he would give Bill W 15 minutes. 6 hours later Bill was still there. AA works. How or why I'm not sure but work it does
Old 09-11-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
One alcoholic talking to another. Dr Bob said he would give Bill W 15 minutes. 6 hours later Bill was still there. AA works. How or why I'm not sure but work it does
i dont know how the hell that works either bob but when i talk to another member we can be at it for hours just talking about ourselves etc, i think its because we now know we are not the only ones, and the amazement on finding out someone else is just like me

but it works how ever it does it works
i often ask myself how can a bunch of drunks sitting around a table talking help us but it does, for me i listen and i learn, the only sad part for me is whatever i learn in the meeting i tend to forget shortly after hence i have to go back for more as i just have a memory issue that has lasted me most of my life lol

i just hope one day i dont forget i am an alcoholic : )
Old 09-11-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

In all honesty...I feel like I might have just got lucky. Had I not found this group...
This is exactly how I feel about my Monday BB meeting. The core group of woman there were essential to my recovery. That is were I met my sponsor and the rest of the ladies took me in and made me one of their own.

Sneaky Woman! LOL
Old 09-11-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Big lol. We need a good laugh sometimes x
Old 09-11-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Yes! Accountability to ourselves from others.....it's a very old, simple and reliable process.

I would suggest the "magic" = the grace to be comfortable in our own skin and our sobriety, comes via the promises from doing (ACTION) the steps.

1,2,3 are me
4&5 are you
6,7,8 are God

9 is you
10,11 are me with God
12 is all you

Simple, effective and proactive!!

peace to us all
Old 09-11-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
From the Bible

Hebrews 10:24-25
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
Seems they were into "meetings" and helping each other long before any of us came along.

Silly old God botherers eh?

Old 09-11-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whalebelow2 View Post
From the Bible

Hebrews 10:24-25
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
Seems they were into "meetings" and helping each other long before any of us came along.

Silly old God botherers eh?

Thank you Whale... I so appreciate your Hebrews' contribution. I had a whole response typed out on it...and it was lost to cyber ether. Argh.

I had a segue leading up to the following quote from "Addiction & Grace" by Gerald May I am currently reading..but I will leave you with it only as well..I'm too lazy to type up why. I think you might get the gist of it anyway.

"Like the prodigal, we may choose to come home. But at this point, after years of displacing desire and of adapting to addictions elsewhere, home will not seem normal. Thus we respond to God's homeward call with a mixture of hope and fear. Something in us knows that this home is where we belong, but in many ways it also feels like it alien territory. The journey homeward, the process of homemaking in God involves withdrawal from addiction behaviours that have become normal for us. In withdrawal, attachments are lessened, and their energy is freed for simpler, purer desire and care. In other words, human desire is freed for love."

Although I have only begun this path, I have already noticed a growing and care and interest in others...rather than how I will spend the evening with my wine...
Old 09-11-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Alcohol-ISM

Internal Spiritual Maladjustment

The strongest booze is known as "Spirits"

The irony was a bit of a shock at first.

By the way... Sounds like the first inkling of a spiritual awakening.

Don't worry, all that means is you've been asleep quite a while
Old 09-11-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whalebelow2 View Post
Alcohol-ISM

Internal Spiritual Maladjustment

The strongest booze is known as "Spirits"
Wow. LOVE this.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Are you familiar with the twelve promises in the big book?

Try reading them and putting "when ever I drank alcohol "
In front of each one.

** Credit to Joe & Charlie and their famous big book study for that one. }
Old 09-11-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Nuudawn, this thread has done ME a lot of good. I'm quite pleased to see where you are these days. That quote you posted warms my heart. Welcome home.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I am personally impressed Nuu by the strides you have and continue to make. I hope that does not sound condescending (Simon Cowell like), as I am truly inspired.