Notices

Moving Forward

Old 09-10-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moving Forward

I need to start making some plans to move forward in my life...

A little background information:
im 27 years old and have been dependant on my boyfriend more or less for the past 7 years we've been together. I don't drive. My highest level of education is my GED that I got at 22 or 23. I don't work and haven't held a job down that I could file on a tax return for years. Come to think of it... I haven't even filed taxes in two years. Ive been in and out of treatment centers, detox centers, been sober awhile... then fallen off. Basically I think that is due to complacency... lonliness and boredom.

I want to move ahead with my life. I know im capable of so much more then what I am right now. I also have a bad habit of rushing things.

My week days are spent mainly alone because my partner just went back to work a few weeks ago after a year off. Ive just started getting comfortable going places on my own... mainly doctors appointments and noon meetings.

What I Want to Do:
- get my liscence
- go back to school and actually have a career
- find new people... sober people... to become friends with
- perhaps find a part time job... this is up in the air because school is so much more important to me.

I have a week sober today. I want to start moving forward with my life because I know the boredom and monotony of things is a trigger for me.

I just wanted some opinions I guess. The first thing I would like to do is get things underway to go for my liscence and doing the classroom work next weekend.

Am I getting ahead of myself? Or is it time... knowing a little about my history. What do you think? I could really use some input.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think staying sober involves filling up your time with constructive things instead of being drunk/hungover and miserable all the time.

If you feel comfortable do whatever you think you can handle. I wouldn't let myself get stressed out enough to drink though.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

time to start living life!
Old 09-10-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think what im going to do is start somewhat small. Book my driving school for next weekend and spend this week hitting as many meetings as I can and phoning and reaching out to people. My driving school will consist of one weekend 9-5 in a classroom, then I believe 10 hours practice behind the wheel. If I accomplish that... then itll open some more doors for me.

Im tired of living confined. And I do it both sober and drinking. I want a real life. I want friends, I want to be able to be self sufficient and supporting financially... at the very least contributing to my household. If I wait... im scared ill go back.

The very thought of that scares me... and I know all too well staying sober by fear alone doesn't last very long.

Im going to ask my sponsor to call me this morning and let her know how im feeling and see what she thinks.

But I am going to book the driving school today.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are on the right track. And congrats on a week sober! If you can do that, you can anything else you set your mind to.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

there's no better time than now.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Go for it!!
Old 09-10-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't try to do too much at once - stress really is the recovering alcoholics enemy.

For the first 30 days it was all I could do not to drink.

Make plans and do things certainly, but keep the expectations reasonable for a while

D
Old 09-10-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think doing one thing at a time is a good plan.

For me, in the first weeks of sobriety, I had to fully focus on staying sober and beginning to deal with my issues. There is more to recovery than just stopping drinking. You will likely have to deal with the issues that have kept you drinking and isolated all these years.

Planning to get a driver's license is a good idea, but be careful to not stress yourself too much.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Take care not to bite off more than you can chew but definitely you're on the right track! Getting sober will allow and require you to develop yourself into the person you have always wanted to be. Go for it!