Notices

Got me thinking be supportve not combative.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got me thinking be supportve not combative.

My post earlier and the replies got me thinking. You know sobriety isn't a contest either you're sober or you're not. No magical science to it all, I understand we as addicts all have issues with sobriety, it isn't a debate.

We as members of this community shouldn't debate, challenge or call folks out. Particularly, the newcomer forum, guess what in the beginning we all lied, or have lied.

Guess what? Early recovery sucks, its the most challenging time of life lots of people have experienced and I can speak from experience, calling people out, and berating drives them further from the solution. Please be kind and understanding, I see too many challenges.

Can you outwit someone, do you have an answer to offer someone, do you add value to life, maybe you do, but present that opinion in the most humble unselfish manner.

We are all addicts relatives of addicts, and ultimately I think the forums are about raising people up, offering help and moving toward a sober place.

There is a place for debate, I love debate I love ideas and pragmatic thoughtful debate, but we should lose focus.... We should always support people never challenge them at their word and try to help, particularly in this fourum. Good day, hope your all sober, and if not please seek help.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

well said Jeremy

love the fact you bid me good day at 11.47 pm

i know what you meant and great post especially your wording jeremy

love your posts keep em coming !

J at 2 am in chat there is online mtn i always go

really good
Old 09-09-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not quite as black and white as that tho, Jeremy?

Support comes in many coats

Some threads call for the unconditional love and hugs approach and others need a more insightful, penetrating and perhaps sometimes challenging, approach.

You also have to factor in that someone else may read something in a completely contrary way than you do

Thats why even tho I know what you're referring to, I'm not *exactly* sure what you saw as a challenge...but I really think by and large we do pretty well with support here

D
Old 09-09-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great Post
Old 09-09-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Listen to the D

D saved me over a year ago

Listen to the D
Old 09-09-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thatdeliveryguy View Post
We as members of this community shouldn't debate, challenge or call folks out.
Jeremy...are you not yourself being somewhat challenging or combative right there?? You are telling us what is right and wrong..which in my mind, almost begs redress.

As Dee notes, sometime support does require a bit of "calling out"...especially if that post seems driven by perhaps, AV. Don't you think?

Yes, we should be courteous and respectful..but I don't see a darn thing wrong with debate(and in a courteous and respectful manner) about certain things, that's what public forums are all about.

I have every confidence in our forum moderators to discern what is and what is not appropriate. They do a spectacular, at times exhausting and frustrating, job of it.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Listen to the D

D saved me over a year ago

Listen to the D
loved this and very true