SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Over 50 / Newly Sober - anyone else? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/344554-over-50-newly-sober-anyone-else.html)

Fly N Buy 09-09-2014 11:35 AM

Over 50 / Newly Sober - anyone else?

There are so many great posts on people on SR - very grateful. I read a ton of posts everyday and love the diversity = ages, backgrounds and geography of all SR friends.

However, I find that the way I view the world now is much different than my view from my 20's 30's etc....and I am newly sober as well < 4 months.

Last child is off to college and trying to adapt to what is the beginning of the later years in life. Things are very different today.

It took me many years to take real, definitive action in getting sober. Kind of embarrassing walking into a group with young and older ( me ). Most of those my age (54) have multiple years of sobriety and speak from an authoritative role.

It struck me that perhaps a thread for Over 50's who are newly sober(however you define that to yourself) might be helpful to share thoughts regarding this stage in our lives coupled with getting undrunk!

Any takers???
please write loudly......

doggonecarl 09-09-2014 11:57 AM

I'm 58. When I quit drinking four years ago, being newly sober was the only "stage in my life" I could focus on. It's only now that I'm able to look where I am now in my life, career winding down and trying to be financially solvent. Not drinking, I may live longer than my money.

Fly N Buy 09-09-2014 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 4888969)
I'm 58. When I quit drinking four years ago, being newly sober was the only "stage in my life" I could focus on. It's only now that I'm able to look where I am now in my life, career winding down and trying to be financially solvent. Not drinking, I may live longer than my money.

Inspirational,
Thanks -

NorMar 09-09-2014 12:10 PM

I am 65, got sober about 4 years ago. Drank heavily throughout my working years, ramped it up when I retired in 09.

Decided I didn't want to spend whatever good years I have left fighting hangovers and liver disease. Of course that is a good decision at any age.

Can't imagine where I would be today if I hadn't gotten sober. Feel great.

oldsoul1122 09-09-2014 12:15 PM

Hi..there are quite a few. I posted this same question recently. I'm 65 and feel a bit out of place at times but I'm beginning to feel more comfortable. Any contact is good contact even if it's playing the word games. Welcome!

Fly N Buy 09-09-2014 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by oldsoul1122 (Post 4889011)
Hi..there are quite a few. I posted this same question recently. I'm 65 and feel a bit out of place at times but I'm beginning to feel more comfortable. Any contact is good contact even if it's playing the word games. Welcome!

Thanks for the reply,

Yes - I feel like a fish out of water many times in meetings and here.
When did you stop and what is/were your new sobriety challenges? At what age did you quit??

Ghostlight1 09-09-2014 12:36 PM

I quit when I was fifty. Been sober three years seven months.
If you're talking about AA meetings, I never felt self conscious. And you're right, the older people there all seemed to have years of sober time. Didn't matter to me, though, I was looking for the similarities in drinking and getting sober than I was at age.
Us old drunks can still contribute in many ways. I love to see a younger person come here and admit they have a problem. Older people, too. We're all in this together and I get inspiration from young and old.

Climber122 09-09-2014 12:43 PM

Fly - I'm just 40 but can tell you that some of the strongest sobriety in my AA home group are the older men and women, most of who didn't get sober until later in life. I really appreciate the wisdom. You could be that inspirational person in your next meeting, regardless of how much time you have sober/clean.

Plus, when living in sobriety you will find things to do and even ways to help others that you couldn't do earlier in life that you are now free to do. That's really the good stuff :) The only thing that is not on the menu is drinking. Sober, the world can really open up and you can have many more years of exploring with your new freedom!

ghostdad 09-09-2014 12:49 PM

51 years old. Quit 56 days ago. Have been drinking since I was 13. Had to quit because of problems with my pancreas and liver. I am fighting the cravings every day. I tried to stop many time in the past. My medical problems are a wake up call. I want to quit for myself and be around for my wife and kids. This site is my only resource at this time. I am new to sobriety. Everyone is so understanding and supportive. I feel like I am not alone in my struggles.

DrakeCKC 09-09-2014 01:12 PM

Got sober last year at 56. I actually got to see 57, something that was looking unlikely as a drunk.

mimsy1 09-09-2014 01:14 PM

Flynbuy, I'm 56 and newly sober. I've tried to quit before-it took health problems to make me get determined to kick it (but I have wanted to quit for a very long time). I so regret the time I've wasted and lost to drinking. I used to think that I didn't care if I died-now I know that's my av saying "What's the use?"

Fly N Buy 09-09-2014 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by ghostdad (Post 4889054)
51 years old. Quit 56 days ago. Have been drinking since I was 13. Had to quit because of problems with my pancreas and liver. I am fighting the cravings every day. I tried to stop many time in the past. My medical problems are a wake up call. I want to quit for myself and be around for my wife and kids. This site is my only resource at this time. I am new to sobriety. Everyone is so understanding and supportive. I feel like I am not alone in my struggles.

Great post from the heart ghostdad! Keep working on it, like me.
Together, we stay sober!

Have you thought of or tried any face to face support? It has helped me a lot along with SR.

Please keep posting and keeping us up to date on your efforts.
Have you found the 24 hour thread? It may be helpful as well committing to another 24 hours.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-14-a.html

Keep on trucking pal!
Nice job by the Steelers btw....

JD4010 09-09-2014 01:19 PM

Turning 55 in two months. I gave up drinking last year and made it seven months. Then I started heading down the road towards divorce and completely relapsed. I've tried to stop several times over the summer. I made myself really sick from drinking over the Labor Day weekend and it took a week to recover. I haven't had a drink since the last day of August. This time, it's going to happen--for good.

On edit: I also got diagnosed as severely depressed about two years ago. I got put on an SSRI medication which helped a lot. But I still enjoyed the escape that booze offered. I wasn't happy in my marriage, nor was my wife. Now that we have split, I look back and see what an idiot I was. But that's now in the past.

I've got one kid, a 19 year old who is a sophomore in college. She says she will never drink, and I believe her. She saw what it did to me. Fortunately, I wasn't a mean drunk--just a stupid one.

FreeOwl 09-09-2014 01:45 PM

thanks for this thread...

I'm 41, but the thing that hits me about it is how fortunate I am to be blessed with sobriety at 41....

You reinforce for me that I could just as easily keep right on going, and have liver and pancreas problems and be doing this in ten years instead of now.

In short, thank you for helping me stay sober today. You're inspiring me to keep on track.

:)

anattaboy 09-09-2014 01:54 PM

52 here and quit this time before the body did. At my home group I am a youngster. Hopefully the numbers on this site from a recent poll are accurate and those in their 20's are quitting sooner.

Fly N Buy 09-09-2014 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by mimsy1 (Post 4889077)
Flynbuy, I'm 56 and newly sober. I've tried to quit before-it took health problems to make me get determined to kick it (but I have wanted to quit for a very long time). I so regret the time I've wasted and lost to drinking. I used to think that I didn't care if I died-now I know that's my av saying "What's the use?"

Courageous post!
so glad we have both made the decision!

Yes, I am there with you - wasted time.
But - we will not regret the past.

Thanks for the post!

ChiefBromden 09-09-2014 02:55 PM

52 here, got sober 27 months ago just before I turned 50.

I remember being stuck with thinking about my dad who passed away at 55. Cause: alcohol, yes. I didn't even think I'd make it to that age. It seemed inevitable. Fate.

Alcohol does strange things to your thinking...

Today I'm quite a bit more positive - bar falling over my labradors in the next 5 minutes or any other stuff life throws at us. ;). But one thing I know now: it's not alcohol that will kill me. :)

LBrain 09-09-2014 03:02 PM

I quit when I was 54 3/4 years old 8.5 months ago.

ESD907 09-09-2014 03:32 PM

Im close 49+. 2 years sober. I still see a 16 year old in the mirror though.

trachemys 09-09-2014 03:37 PM

ESD I know exactly what you mean. I don't think I'm this age. The mirror lies.