SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   new here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/344484-new-here.html)

music1987 09-08-2014 05:54 PM

new here

Well, l am new here,
I have decided to take a long break from drinking as I feel my health and my ability to control my drinking is suffering. I am in a wonderful relationship and alcohol has caused problems. My health has been a concern to me for the past three years. During the week, I exercise and eat well, but on the weekends I drink non-stop. Sometimes i go on binges that last longer than just the weekend. I have been drinking like this for nine years. I get a mild discomfort around my liver after my binges that lasts for several days. I went to the doctor last year because of this and they said my liver was not inflamed and my bloodwork came back fine. I took that as an excuse to continue my reckless lifestyle. I am almost 28 and I worry I have perminant liver damage. The amount of shame and guilt i feel weighs heavy on my shoulders.

Anna 09-08-2014 06:00 PM

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you posted.

Shame and guilt and two things that keep us addicted. It's such a downward spiral because it leads back to drinking. I'm glad you're taking action and stopping drinking. Hopefully you will feel the positive effects of recovery and stop drinking for good. :)

Chrissy2014 09-08-2014 06:26 PM

Keep checking in, Music. I am happy you found this forum and wish you peace and clarity.

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery

Alynn 09-08-2014 06:32 PM

welcome music... your in the right place! We are all in this together... In the 8 days Ive been on here I have found so much hope for kicking this for good. Check in often, read, and post.

Soberwolf 09-08-2014 07:08 PM

Hello and welcome

Inchworm 09-08-2014 07:26 PM

Welcome!

Hevyn 09-08-2014 07:32 PM

Pleased to meet you music. :) You're among friends who understand how you feel.

When I was 28 I felt the same way - but I didn't take action. I just kept trying to manage my drinking so it would be 'fun' again. I went on for many more years - afraid to let go of it. All it did was cause misery & anxiety in the end. You don't need it in your life.

Tonymblue 09-08-2014 07:36 PM

Welcome. Glad youve made this decision. Youre young. You health will bounce back.

Dee74 09-08-2014 08:40 PM

Welcome to SR Music1987.

Read around and post as much as you like - who knows, you may find yourself convinced, like I was, to go permanently off the sauce :)

D

hayley86 09-08-2014 09:53 PM

Welcome! You have made a wise decision to stop drinking. I had blood tests done when i was 24 because i was concerned about my health. My blood tests came back all clear, so i carried on drinking. Less than two years later i went for repeat blood tests and it was a very different story (extremely elevated liver enzymes, etc). My health and life has transformed since i stopped drinking and i no longer have constant anxiety about the harm I'm doing to myself. You'll find lots of great support and advice here. Glad you've joined us. :)

MelindaFlowers 09-08-2014 09:57 PM

Hey Music,

At 28 I also felt the mild discomfort around my liver area. I wasn't ready to stop though so I kept drinking for four more years. When I finally had blood work done, the numbers were not good at all. It is possible to do some pretty serious damage even at a relatively young age. I hope you can stop now.

zoey09 09-08-2014 10:49 PM

Welcome to the forum. I'm also an 87' baby : )
The shame and guilt, the binging, the health concerns, going thru all of that as well. I hope the forum helps you out, come here often it's a great source of support!

PurpleKnight 09-09-2014 12:58 AM

Welcome to the Forum!! Great to have you onboard!! :wave:

Treerat66 09-09-2014 01:10 AM

:c009:
Welcome to SR

Luper 09-09-2014 01:16 AM

Welcome, and I agree. A very wise decision.

You will find tons of support here!

music1987 09-09-2014 04:03 PM

Hello all,

Thanks for the wonderful support. I just want to fill you guys in. Today is Tuesday, so like clockwork my right side feels normal again, I look a lot better, my energy is up, and I feel great. I got my standard excitement at the thought of getting intoxicated this coming Fri-Sun, but I snapped out of it. Shaking away the excitement was depressing, but that depression was accompanied by a very freeing feeling. This will be my first sober weekend in almost a decade. I am concerned about this weekend as I will be alone, which ALWAYS exacerbates my desire to drink and drink and drink. I know I can do it though.

Soberwolf 09-09-2014 04:05 PM

you can do it hang in there music