Notices

Regrets

Old 09-08-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Regrets

I am so full of sorrow and regret for what a f-up I am. I lost my husband/best friend because of my drinking. I thought I was moving on, but now I know I'm still stuck, years later, with this pain.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Instead of beating myself up I look forward

Wasn't always easy sometimes it just hits me how bad I was but I say I am sober now I have readjusted myself to think and feel better by getting on with it

I listened to others speaking the same language I spoke and I found that here at SR

So many different recovery solutions yet the same problems

Stick around look around

Hope you feel better
Old 09-08-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear you are feeling down mimsy. The best solution is to get and stay sober - you can rebuild your life, but it takes a lot of hard work. Are you still drinking?
Old 09-08-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mimsy, I know how hard it is to deal with the pain and mess we created while drinking. But, you must forgive yourself in order to recover. Journaling really helped me to let go of the some of the shame and guilt I was carrying. Have you considered counselling of some kind? Another thing that might help is a Gratitude Journal.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Frank Sinatra started singing in my head when I read your thread title..."Regrets? I've had a few but then again..."

Mimsy I am so very sorry for your pain. But are you saying you lost your husband/best friend due to drinking and then you sobered and years later you're still stuck in pain?

I know that drinking my way through heartbreak basically prolonged, exacerbated, muddled, confused and well...prevented my heart from healing.
Without question.

I am a bit confused by your post. Please elaborate. Forgive me if I have misunderstood.
Is your sobriety giving you grief..

Or drinking?
Old 09-08-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have 21 days sober. I don't want to drink again, but I think about it, and worry about it. I intend to get therapy...the money I spent on alcohol should cover it.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nuudawn, I continued to drink during and after the divorce, for years. Denial, big time. Even when I damaged my health. Beyond pathetic.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mimsy1 View Post
Nuudawn, I continued to drink during and after the divorce, for years. Denial, big time. Even when I damaged my health. Beyond pathetic.
Aw Sweetie...well, when we don't know how to deal, the bottle is the common answer that leads us here. Alcohol has always been an issue for me, but it took its ugliest turn when my heart got broken.

Buy hey..now you are sober...and NOW you are dealing. It may not be too warm and fuzzy feeling but you are doing it. I know that it was only years later when some of my thinking and belief systems changed (but alcohol had already gotten its foothold) that I kicked myself for not getting help with the pain via counselling etc. I just immediately ran to the bottle.

I am now a firm believer in getting support and understanding and wisdom for that which I don't understand or that is causing me difficulty. I so wish I had that attitude before. Perhaps I wouldn't have become an individual of addictions had I not been groomed with a "suck it up and get over it ...and NEVER let anyone see you sweat" attitude.

We ain't meant to do life alone. We are not islands. We need people. We need community and care. We need to be able to reach out for help without fear.

I am so very glad you are here Mimsy.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad your here mimsy. You can rebuild your life through hard world and sobriety. Awesome on the 21 days!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me