Notices

Day 1

Old 09-08-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hi everyone,

I joined this forum las summer. I managed to stay sober 5 days which is my record so far. I'm depressed and tired and I feel like my physical and mental health are really suffering. I need to stop drinking but I'm really struggling. I don't understand why this is so hard for me. I don't even enjoy it most of the time. I have so much stress in my life and drinking is just making it so much worse.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Rubyx View Post
Hi everyone,

I joined this forum las summer. I managed to stay sober 5 days which is my record so far. I'm depressed and tired and I feel like my physical and mental health are really suffering. I need to stop drinking but I'm really struggling. I don't understand why this is so hard for me. I don't even enjoy it most of the time. I have so much stress in my life and drinking is just making it so much worse.
Welcome ( back ) to the island of struggling! If we did not all struggle, we'd call it being recovered and not recovering!

Make a plan of change that involves action. It's there for the taking. Go get some.....

Peace
Old 09-08-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Know exactly what you mean. Alcohol is the hardest thing ive ever with. I couldnt make it even 1 day without. And yeah, i honestly cant tell you the last time i enjoyed having a drink. Probably 5 years ago. It just became something "necessary" to my existence. But ive quit and you can too. Stay with us. Be interactive on the site. Were here for you.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Hi Rubyx,
I started reading here the same time last year. The best advice I can give you is to not to get overwhelmed by the prospect of "forever". It seems impossible. You need to chip away at it one day at a time, sometimes an hour at a time especially in the beginning. As you feel better, your mind and body will get stronger and you will feel pride. It's an incredible feeling.
I read/post on here in the morning and evening before/ after work. It plants the seed at the beginning of the day and inspires me to continue. I relate to what other members post. When you don't feel alone and have acceptance, it makes the journey a little more manageable.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi RubyX,
I drank for 40+ years. My end result was exactly what you describe, and getting free from it was a seemingly endless struggle I could not win. It progressed to a very dark place that was so overwhelming it completely consumed me.

For me and my condition, the AA Big Book describes it exactly. It also describes the exact solution, although it took me COMPLETELY surrendering, which is something I did not see any value in at the time while I was in that state of mind.

The Steps of AA work 100% of the time when followed by the Book, and best when done with the guidance of a Sponsor. I am proof of that statement. I absolutely could NOT fix myself, but it took my willingness and participation for the program to completely transform me and set me free. I did not even see it or realize it while I was going thru the struggle, but it absolutely happened. The Steps work 100% of the time.

If interested, I am more than willing to share more of how it worked with me. There are also many groups out there, most of them (NOT ALL) with people that are very willing to selflessly share how the Steps led them to be free from the hellish addiction.

RDBplus3
Old 09-08-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep trying...really. Stay convicted to your goal and you'll eventually be successful. Anyone who has found success has been where you are.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What plan do you have, or is it just sheer willpower?

Willpower sometimes can be no match for our addiction, we need support, something outside of our minds to get us through when mere willpower is pushed to the limits!!

You can do this!!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Hi, Rubyx,
Stress is my terrible trigger. I know we can't avoid all stressful situations but, my goal is to learn how to handle stress without resorting to alcohol. I also get depressed and tired. A few beers seemed to perk my up and since I felt so good my AV says, "why not feel great for the next 3 or 4 days and then feel crappy again." You are not alone. Keep posting and keep trying to understand yourself with every successful day, week, month, and even when you slip up. Nobody's perfect.♡ CR
Old 09-08-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you got a plan ?